LTR Ibex Fall Line Pant - Jason B

  • Jason Boyle
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2006

      Here you go! Edit away. HTML will be posted after your edits.

      Jason B

      Ibex Fall Line Pant
      Long Term Report – April 4, 2006

      Tester Information:
      Name: Jason Boyle
      Age: 28
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 6"/ 1.68 m
      Weight: 170 lb/ 77 kg
      Waist: 36"/ 91 cm
      Hips: 42"/ 107 cm
      Thighs: 21"/ 53 cm
      Inseam: 28"/ 71 cm
      Email address: c4jc "at" hotmail "dot" com
      City, State, Country: Snoqualmie, WA, U. S.

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been camping and backpacking for about 17 years. My
      introduction to the outdoors started with the BSA and has continued
      as an adult. I have hiked mostly in the Southeastern and
      Northeastern United States. I am generally a lightweight hiker, but
      will carry extras to keep me comfortable. Most of my hiking and
      backpacking takes place in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, but I can be
      found exploring the other wild areas of Washington!

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Ibex
      Model: Fall Line Pant
      Size: Large
      Color: Stone (received), Black
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Listed weight: 21 oz (595 g)
      Measured weight: 23 oz (652 g)
      **Disclaimer: The closest my scale will measure is in whole ounces.**
      Fabric Content: Climawool® Cirrus softshell (PTT, Polyester
      exterior, 100% eco-washed wool interior)
      Listed Dimensions: Waist 34-36" (86-91 cm), Inseam 31" (79 cm)
      Measured Dimensions:
      MSRP: $225 US
      Country of Manufacture: China with imported fabrics

      Product Description:

      The Ibex Fall Line Pant are winter pants made of a wool soft shell
      material. This is the third of three reports. Please seem my
      initial and field reports for more information.

      Long Term Field Conditions:

      Since the last report I have experienced wind, rain, snow, and the
      occasional sunny day while wearing the pants. I have continued to
      use the pants while downhill skiing, although they are best used
      when it is not snowing. In addition to skiing, I have used the
      pants on two day hikes, one with a full pack, a snowshoe trip with
      full pack and on a two day backpacking/car camping trip. Locations
      included the Alpine Lakes Wilderness in the Mt Baker – Snoqualmie
      National Forest, the Summit at Snoqualmie, Squak Mountain State Park
      in Washington State, Castle Crags State Park and Wilderness and
      Joshua Tree National Park in California. Elevation ranged from sea
      level to 5000' (1524 m) and temperatures ranged from 30 to 50 F (-1
      to 10 C).

      I like these pants. They have gotten more comfortable as I have
      worn them, but they are still tight in the thighs and loose in the
      waist. They shed dirt, snow, and light rain with little problems
      and have proven durable through the test period. They will wet out
      in heavy rain or when sitting on a wet or snowy chair lift.

      Long Term Results:

      The pants have continued to perform well. They have gotten more
      comfortable as I have worn them and that is definitely a bonus.
      However, I would still consider them a fitted pant. Even with their
      close fit, I have not experienced any loss of movement while hiking
      or skiing. I have not had any more issues with chaffing, but I do
      make a concerted effort to keep the pants pulled up.

      The pants have also proven durable over the test period. Besides
      normal hiking, which for me means climbing over blowdowns, rocks and
      such, I also skied in these pants. I am not the most graceful skier
      and bit the dust several times very hard. So except for the zipper
      that broke on the first pair; the pants show no signs of wear from
      any of my adventures. I think that the zipper breaking in the first
      pair was a one time thing and not an indication of poor quality.

      One of my concerns was whether a backpack hip belt would rub against
      the belt I wear with the Fall Line Pant. This has not proven to be
      a problem. I wear a flat, stretchy nylon belt with the pants and I
      have not experienced any issues carrying a fully loaded pack.

      The pants have continued to be weather resistant and shed wind and
      light rain well. They are not completely waterproof though. On one
      of my ski trips in a wintry mix, wet snow accumulated on the lifts
      and soaked through the posterior of the pants and wetted my bum. It
      made for an uncomfortable evening of skiing.

      Other than the few concerns mentioned previously these pants have
      performed well and will continue to be used in late spring trips at
      elevation and next winter!

      I reiterate from before that a more relaxed fit would make these
      pants even better.

      Test Plan:

      I examined the Ibex Fall Line Pant on the following characteristics
      over the test period.
      (My answers based on the first two months of use are in blue italics)

      Fit: How well do the pants fit? (There was some chaffing initially,
      but I think that has been solved by wearing a belt.)
      Are they roomy enough to have a light base layer of clothing
      underneath like the Ibex website says they are? (Yes.)
      Based on the website picture it looks like the pants have zippered
      pockets, how easy are they to open? (Easy to open, hard to close
      unless standing up.)
      Can they be opened with gloves on? (Yes.)
      How do the pants feel? (Stretchy, Soft.)
      Are they itchy like other wool products? (No!!!! They are very
      comfortable on the inside)

      How durable is the Climawool Cirrus softshell material? (The fabric
      has been very durable over the test period. There are no visible
      signs of wear.)
      Do I need to be concerned during off trail hiking? (I have not had
      any issues through out the test period.)
      I normally sit or kneel on the ground while doing everyday camp
      chores like collecting firewood, cooking or building a fire; do I
      need to be worried about the pants coming in contact with rocks,
      sticks and dirt? (Nope, I have not had any fabric durability issues.)

      What exactly do they mean by weatherproof? (That the pants shed
      water, snow and wind while walking with ease. Sitting on a wet ski
      lift proved to be more than they could handle and the pants allowed
      water to penetrate the fabric and soak me underneath.)
      We get a lot of rain here and water resistance is key. Will they
      make it through a day of hiking in the rain? (Yes for the most
      part. The pants will eventually wet out after hours of hiking in
      the rain or sitting on a wet ski lift.)
      How breathable are the pants? (Very good. Even when hiking in
      moderate weather they breathe extremely well. They do heat up a bit
      when I have performed high exertion activities but everything goes
      back to normal when I stop doing the high exertion activities, i.e.
      finish a climb uphill.)
      What temperature range are they best used in? (For moderate
      activities they are ok in the low 40's F (7 C – 4 C), However I
      think they are best used near freezing.)

      Living here in the trendy Pacific Northwest are these pants stylish
      enough to wear on a rainy day diaper run to Target or while out at
      dinner in downtown Seattle? (Most definitely.)

      Thanks to BackpackGearTest and IBEX for allowing me to participate
      in this test.