REPOST: IR - Bridgedale X-Hale Socks - Andrew Buskov

  • MadFireman
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
      Thanks for the edits Ted. Below is the reworked edition. The HTML has also
      been changed and can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/h3dap

      Andrew Buskov

      Men's Bridgedale X-Hale Socks
      Initial Report
      March 16, 2006

      Tester Biographical Information:
      Name: Andrew Buskov
      Age: 31
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
      Shoe Size: 10 US (43 EU)
      Email: MadFireman@...
      City, State, Country: Madisonville, Kentucky USA
      Date: March 16, 2006

      Backpacking Background:
      I started backpacking when I was about 8 and quickly became hooked on the
      outdoors. I prefer being out in the winter more than the summer. I have
      hiked a variety of environments ranging from Maine's Mt. Katahdin in late
      fall to Mount Charleston, outside Las Vegas, in the summer. As an Emergency
      Medical Technician, I have been trained to be prepared at all times so my
      pack tends to be on the heavy side. I prefer hiking difficult terrain as
      opposed to flat, level ground, and enjoy longer trips as opposed to
      overnighters. I hike in The North Face Adrenaline Gore-Tex XCR, but will be
      wearing several different pairs of shoes while completing this test.

      Product Information:
      Name: Bridgedale X-Hale socks
      Fibre Content: 42% Nylon, 28% Merino Wool, 28% Isolfil, 2% Lycra
      Year of Manufacture: 2006
      Sock Size Tested: Medium = US - Men's 7 - 9.5 / Women's 8 - 10.5
      Sizes Available: Small = US - Men's 4 - 6.5 / Women's 5 - 7.5
      Large = US - Men's 10 - 12.5 / Women's 10.5 - 13
      XLarge = US - Men's 13 - 15
      Color Tested: Onyx / Ruby
      Colors Available: Silver / Sapphire, Cool White / Black, Onyx / Ruby
      Washing Instructions: For best results wash inside out. Wash dark colours
      separately. Do not use fabric softener. 40 C (72 F) wool cycle. Do not
      bleach. Do not iron. Do not dry clean.
      Weight: 2.1 oz (60 g)
      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.bridgedale.com
      MSRP: $14.95 US

      Product Description:
      (From the website)
      "The most advanced design to keep the foot cool during exercise,
      particularly in extreme heat. Super light weight knit of merino wool fused
      with IsolfilR minimizes the sock's thermal effect. A broad venting system
      enrobes the foot in breathable mesh (even the toes get their own vent port)
      while ShockZoneR protects foot and prevent hotspots. An incredible design
      that promises to change how you think about keeping feet cool and dry!"
      Information found on the package included:
      "With over 75 years of tradition, Bridgedale socks are tested in the lab and
      in the field for performance and endurance. Regardless of your chosen
      activity, our exacting quality standards and technically advanced designs
      will enhance both the performance of your footwear and the comfort of you
      feet! We Guarantee it!"

      "Performance enhanced by WoolFusion technology."

      First Impression:
      Upon opening the shipping package, I found one pair of men's Bridgedale
      X-Hale Socks bound in their retail packaging. The documentation on the
      packaging comes in five languages and includes an image detailing the design
      of the socks. Washing instructions and fibre content information is located
      on the back of the packaging below the documentation.

      After removing the socks from their packaging, I snapped a few photos prior
      to trying them on. I was a bit concerned about a few spots on the material.
      It seemed that the area around the balls of the feet and the heel were
      already fraying. This may simply be due to the manufacturing process and may
      stretch back to normal after washing. In addition, after turning the socks
      inside out, I was surprised to find such an excess of material just
      dangling. However, when trying them, I never noticed the excess of material.
      If anything, having the extra material actually made the sock feel a bit
      cushier.

      I was shocked at how comfortable these socks were. They fit my feet great
      and were extremely soft. I was expecting the wool to itch my feet, but was
      surprised that there was no itching at all. Most of the time, especially
      around the toe, I am able to feel the seams of my socks. I was unable to
      tell where the seams were at all on these socks.

      I was going to wear them around the house, but found on the website that "to
      preserve the life of your Bridgedale socks never wear them on carpet and
      always wash them inside out." This seems strange to me, as I've never heard
      of socks you aren't supposed to wear on carpet. I'm wondering if the sock
      material wears out easier than regular materials. I'll have to keep an eye
      on this, especially since the socks already seem to be fraying.

      In addition, finding the socks on the Bridgedale website was a bit
      difficult. They are only listed in two of the eleven categories. I finally
      found them under the Cycling/MTB and the Running sections.

      Testing Plan:
      I plan on testing these in a variety of locations including hiking trips
      within Tennessee and Kentucky. I also plan on wearing these socks while
      mountain biking, day hikes, and walking around the neighborhood with my
      wife. Because of the dramatic weather changes that occur during the spring
      in this area, I will be exposing these socks to a wide variety of weather
      patterns and will be able to comment on how well these socks perform in each
      instance.

      The shoes I will be wearing primarily are New Balance CM471GO, and my hiking
      boots which are The North Face Adrenaline Gore-Tex XCR.

      During the testing period I will answer the following questions:
      Fit: How well do these socks fit? Are the measurements sized correctly? Are
      they loose or tight fitting? Will the tops stay up with normal movement? Do
      they slide down throughout the day? Do the different thicknesses feel
      uncomfortable? Will these socks bind or bunch up at the toe area throughout
      the day?

      Comfort: Are the socks comfortable enough to wear for extended periods of
      time? Are the seams stitched in such a way to prevent rubbing or chafing?
      Will the fabric stick to me when sweating? Will the heat retained be overly
      uncomfortable on hot days? Does the elastic around the cuff cause binding or
      chafing? I'm not one who likes wearing liners; can I get by without liners
      and still escape blisters?

      Moisture: How well does the sock wick moisture away from my feet? If the
      socks become soaked, how quickly will they dry? Will the socks retain an
      odor after an extended period of time?

      Durability: Does this material stretch, or give? Will the seams unravel
      after an extended period of time? Are there any special washing
      instructions? Will the elastic cuff stretch over time?

      I would like to thank Backpackgeartest.org and Bridgedale for the
      opportunity to test their X-Hale socks.

      Andrew Buskov

      ___________________________
      Visit Corridor9.net
      Blogging about: Hiking, Camping, BGT, Linux, Gentoo, Fire Fighting, and
      more!
      ___________________________
    • Edward Ripley-Duggan
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
        Thanks, Andrew. The IR still needs the measured weight of the socks
        (see my edit addendum and a separate side-channel message,
        which--since it was sent via Yahoo--may not have reached you).
        However, once that is fixed, feel free to upload at any time.

        In general with report series, unless you are more comfortable
        resubmitting the edited version to list first for final approval, you
        may go straight to the BGT permanent folder

        http://tinyurl.com/zgm3p

        with your (edited) HTML version. The only time that this would not be
        the case would be if your report editor explicitly requests to see
        the final form. This might happen if there was need for a substantial
        reworking, but this is fairly uncommon. As it turns out, in this
        case, the fact that you did repost saved some small inconvenience in
        regard to getting the weight incorporated, but that was my fault for
        not catching the omission in my initial edit.

        Best,

        Ted.

      • MadFireman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
          Ted, the weight listed is the measured weight. I haven't been able to find a
          specified weight online anywhere, and its not on the packaging.

          Should I alter the description to "Actual Weight", or "Measured weight"?

          Andrew

        • Edward Ripley-Duggan
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2006
            Sorry, Andrew, I'm clearly not doing well today! I just plain missed
            seeing it there. However, I do think it is good to specify "measured
            weight,' since you mention it. Lets the reader know the source of the number.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 2, 2006
              At 03:32 AM 1/04/2006, you wrote:
              >Ted, the weight listed is the measured weight. I haven't been able to find a
              >specified weight online anywhere, and its not on the packaging.
              >
              >Should I alter the description to "Actual Weight", or "Measured weight"?

              Yes please Andrew so it is clear. Confusion is already raining :-)

              Andrew