REPOST - Application to Test the Railriders Extreme Pants - Greg Mehojah

  • gcmehojah
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006
      Sorry, found one small typo! :)

      Please accept my application to test the Railriders Extreme
      Adventure Pants. I have read the requirements in the BGT survival
      Guide, Ch 5 (v. 1202), and will comply with each and every
      requirement detailed therein, including the four-month test period.
      My signed Test Application Agreement is on file with Stephanie. If
      chosen for this test, I would need a size XL, and my preferred color
      choice is khaki.

      Biographical Information:

      Name: Greg Mehojah
      Age: 34
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 1" (1.85 m)
      Weight: 210 lb (95 kg)
      Waist: 40" (110 cm)
      Email: gmehojah3@...
      City, State, Country: Albuquerque, New Mexico

      Backpacking Background:

      I began backpacking last year to reintroduce myself to the outdoors,
      and introduce my 10 year old son to backpacking. My trips have
      typically been 1-2 nights with my son and 2-3 nights when I solo. My
      first season has taken me through desert terrain and high-altitude
      meadowlands throughout New Mexico, as well as day hikes of the
      foothills and ridgeline trails of the Sandia Mountains in
      Albuquerque. I tend to carry most of the gear when I hike with my
      son, so I am not a lightweight hiker, but plan on moving that
      direction as my son gets older.

      Field Information:

      When I day hike or backpack, I always wear some sort of nylon
      technical hiking pants. The two pairs that I own are convertible
      and of different weights. Even when it is quite warm I like to wear
      long pants to keep the scragglies off my lower legs, and as much
      dust, dirt, scratchies and other foreign matter out of my socks and
      boots as possible. Also, because the weather changes so rapidly
      here, I like having pants to keep rain and wind off my legs, and
      prevent getting easily chilled. One pair of my pants has started
      wearing thin in the knees and butt because I kneel down a lot both
      in camp and on the trail, I generally slide on my butt down really
      steep descents (scree slopes, etc.) and when I rest on the trail, I
      just plop down without any kind of sit pad under me. I also wear
      my "good" pair of hiking pants to work on casual Fridays because
      they are so darned comfortable. I would substutite the Railriders
      Adventure Pants for my causal Friday office pants if chosen for this
      test. Based on the kind of hiking I do, these pants look like a
      perfect fit for me!

      During the four month test period for the Railriders Extreme
      Adventure Pants, I have the following primary trips already planned:

      First, In late March, I will be taking a three night hiking trip to
      Bandelier National Monument. This trip will involve a range of
      climate zones and temperatures. Ponderosa pines, lush underbrush
      and flowing streams are found in the many finger canyons of
      Bandelier. There are a lot of stream crossings and slippery/icy
      banks (where the mud is still frozen) that sometimes lead to
      dunkings of gear in the water. My trip last year sold me on using
      dry bags for my sleeping bag! The mesa areas of Bandelier are
      standard high desert plains, with scraggly brush, and interspersed
      with juniper and pine trees. The climbs out of the, and into, the
      canyons are strewn with scree, loose sand, and gravel, making them
      slippery and prone to seat slides. Unforutnately, the Park Service
      does not have the manpower nor the resources to adequately remove
      downfall from all the trails, requiring hikers on most trails to
      crawl over, under, and around it to continue on your route. While
      this is a high desert climate, the canyons of Bandelier are blessed
      with flowing streams which leads to surprisingly damp and
      condensation prone climates. The temperatures will range from 15-20
      degrees F at night and 40-60 degrees during the day.

      Additionally, in mid May, I plan on hiking into the Gila National
      Forest in southern New Mexico for a two night trip with some friends
      from work. Depending on the water conditions, the streams and
      rivers can really rage during the late Spring, and early Summer.
      The trail conditions are very overgrown and lush, so it will be dark
      earlier than usual. The temperature ranges for this trip will be
      about 30-40 degrees F during the evening and 55-70 during the
      daytime (if not a bit warmer given the temperate winter we have
      had). The temperatures will likely be much higher than what I have
      conservatively predicted, which will allow me to test the venting
      ability of the Railrider Pants should the weather be more humid or
      rainy. Depending on the spring runoff, there will likely be
      multiple river crossings along any route I settle on.

      I am in the process of planning a thirty mile loop in June of the
      Pecos Wilderness. My brother will be flying in from Kansas for his
      first taste of backpacking, which gives me a great excuse to sneak
      away for three days to an area of the Pecos I have not hiked to
      before. The Pecos Wilderness is located in Northern New Mexico,
      which generally receives more precipitation and (excpet this year)
      snow than the lower elevations of Albuquerque. The temperatures are
      also a great deal lower than are experienced in central to southern
      New Mexico.

      In addition to these already planned trips, I intend to throw in
      multiple overnight trips with my son to close-by locations as well
      as organize an end-to-end hike with some friends of the Sandia
      Mountain Crest Trail system, which is in excess of 10,000 feet above
      sea level. I also day hike at least once per week in the Sandia
      mountains. During the test period, if chosen for this test, I will
      use the Railriders Adventure Pants as my only hiking pants.

      Test Plan:

      As a general matter, I would ultimately like to determine whether
      the Railrider Extreme Adventure Pants are the pants I would prefer
      to wear when heading outdoors. Are they the pants I reach for
      first? Fit and Comfort are extremely important to me in clothing,
      especially technical clothing that is intended to enhance my outdoor
      time. Specifically, with respect to comfort:

      * Are the Adventure Pants sizings correct?
      * Does the size that is stated to fit me really fit?
      * How much room do I have in the length and girth of the pant legs?
      * Is there enough room in the stated size for the pants to freely
      and naturally move with me?
      * Do they bind during normal use?
      * When I need to jump across an obstacle, do the pants "give"
      enough to prevent constriction in critical areas?
      * Are the seams and stitching well thought out, or is their
      placement something that leads to uncomfortable rubbing?
      * How well do they breath on hot days?
      * How well do they insulate from the wind and cold?
      * Its not clear from the website that the pants are windproof - how
      much wind protection do they offer (if any?)
      * Do the pants stay in place or do I need to constantly adjust them
      by either pulling them up or down?
      * Are the elastic sections supple enough that they do not cut off
      circulation? Do they give enough to be comfortable while still
      performing their primary function?

      Compatibility with other clothing:

      * Can I wear these pants with my base layers? Is there enough room
      for my thermal underwear?
      * When it is really cold I also wear fleece pants under my hiking
      pants. Is there sufficient room in my size to do this?
      * How easily can I take off my boots/socks while wearing the pants?
      * How well do the elastic cuffs keep foreign matter out of my boots,
      and off of my socks?
      * Do the cuffs prevent any water from entering my boots when I cross
      smaller streams?
      * How easily can I take the pants off when going to bed at night and
      put them back on in the mornings while in my tent?
      * Does the waistband or belt interefere or make uncomfortable the
      hipbelts of my packs?

      * Do the zippers operate properly/smoothly after a long day on a
      dusty trail?
      * can I easily clean the zippers should they get impacted with dirt
      or small pebbles?
      * Can I operate the zippers one-handed?
      * How easily does the belt tighten and loosen?
      * How quickly do the pants dry when soaked by rain or during a
      stream crossing?
      * Do the pants easily stain? Can I wash them without needing to
      baby them?
      * How useful are the pockets? I like to carry a GPS and a compass
      with me during my hikes. Can I carry them in the pockets in a
      useful manner? Can I also carry my digital camera in the pockets
      with the assurance that it will not get ejected unexpectedly?
      * Are the zippered pockets secure on jogging descents?

      This appears to be the primary focus of this test call. I like to
      hike off trail quite a bit (within reason of course) to explore
      secluded areas and find where those elusive springs originate.
      Bushwhacking and rough desert terrain will give me a great
      opportunity to test the durability of these pants.

      * How durable are the reinforced knee and butt sections? If I do
      not wear them out, do they wear thin? Do they wear at all? Can
      they take the abuse of sliding down hills or steep, gravel laden
      * How well do the pants ward off pulls, tears, etc. when hiking off
      * Does the elastic stretch, or does it maintain its ability to
      rebound after prolonged use?
      * Do any of the stitches or seams come loose? Does the fabric fray
      at any locations? Does the fabric pull or pile from regular use?
      *This will sound strange, but do the pants make undue noise when
      * Do the zipper-pulls hold up to regular use? Do they come apart
      easily? Do they catch on scragglies or anything else on the trail?

      If chosen for this test, I hope to answer each of the above
      questions concerning the use of the Extreme Adventure pants, and I
      have lots of hiking and backpacking opportunities to do so.

      Reviews Completed:

      Owner Reviews:

      I have completed two Owner Reviews:

      Marmot Eiger 36 Pack
      MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter

      Both reviews can be seen here:

      Completed Tests:

      Outdoor Research Prism Cap - Not Yet Received.

      Ongoing Tests:

      Thank you for your consideration of my application to test the
      Railriders Extreme Adventure Pants. I do hope it meets with your