Can we test this potty trowel?

  • Edward Ripley-Duggan
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
      Lest you think I have finally gone bananas, see

      http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm

      This is worth, at the least, a giggle. Maybe even a guffaw!

      Ted.
    • AsABat
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
        Very clever - the product name I mean. Maybe there's another use for
        this product? <g> There was a lot of discussion on other lists about
        this product when it was called something else, what I better not say.
        I love the part about there not being international testing standards
        for potty trowels. IMO, it's a sad commentary on our society.

        Bill

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Edward Ripley-Duggan
        <erd@...> wrote:

        > Lest you think I have finally gone bananas, see
        >
        > http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm
        >
        > This is worth, at the least, a giggle. Maybe even a guffaw!
        >
        > Ted.

      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
          We'll be testing it.

          Jerry

          _____

          Lest you think I have finally gone bananas, see

          http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm

          This is worth, at the least, a giggle. Maybe even a guffaw!

          Ted.

          Outdoor
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoor+recreation&w1=Outdoor+recreatio
          n&w2=Recreation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=R
          ecreation+jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=oFEu6xvdIQZDa5H6NxqHUQ> recreation
          Recreation
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Recreation+vehicles&w1=Outdoor+recreati
          on&w2=Recreation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=
          Recreation+jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=sntvw2-82wrdGg8FArPyjQ> vehicles Gsi
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Outdoor+recreation&w2=R
          ecreation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=Recreat
          ion+jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=aFyHKEWMvkvuveBXoxGRkQ> outdoors
          Outdoors
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Outdoor+recreation&w2=Recre
          ation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=Recreation+
          jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=9SDgba5mFnwqIoWVLCJqSA> Recreation
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Recreation+jobs&w1=Outdoor+recreation&w
          2=Recreation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=Recr
          eation+jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=Y_4FwVWw5PLv3gIz2-eGxQ> jobs Recreation
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Recreation+jobs&w1=Outdoor+recreation&w
          2=Recreation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=Recr
          eation+jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=Y_4FwVWw5PLv3gIz2-eGxQ> jobs

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "backpackgeartesters
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters> " on the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

        • Rick D.
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
            I'd like the reviews to include DPS--dollars per squat--please.

            Thank you,

            --Rick

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"
            <ChiefModerator@...> wrote:

            > We'll be testing it.
            >
            > Jerry
            >
            > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
            : the
            > most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.
          • AsABat
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
              Sort of hard to do seeing how we only test for 4 months. If I went out
              with it every day during the test period that would be 120 days = 120
              squats = 1.25 DPS. I'm not sure what pay toilets charge nowadays, but
              over a lifetime it should be much lower.

              Still, there must be another use for this trowel ;-). BUT, if this is
              just a trowel, and I tested it like it was, oh, say, some kind of tool
              for hiking in snow, would that we outside the manufacturer's intended
              purpose? <grin>

              Bill

              > I'd like the reviews to include DPS--dollars per squat--please.
            • David Sowards-Emmerd
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                So are we testing it for snowcamping season (trowel, digging out
                stakes, etc.) or for glacier travel season (self-arrests,boot-axe
                belays, etc. - or is this something not recommended by the mfg -->
                can't be included in the test plan)? The weight sure is nice, but if
                it breaks in the field, then it's just dead weight... David

                On 3/1/06, AsABat <wjj2001@...> wrote:
                > Sort of hard to do seeing how we only test for 4 months. If I went out
                > with it every day during the test period that would be 120 days = 120
                > squats = 1.25 DPS. I'm not sure what pay toilets charge nowadays, but
                > over a lifetime it should be much lower.
                >
                > Still, there must be another use for this trowel ;-). BUT, if this is
                > just a trowel, and I tested it like it was, oh, say, some kind of tool
                > for hiking in snow, would that we outside the manufacturer's intended
                > purpose? <grin>
                >
                > Bill
                >
                > > I'd like the reviews to include DPS--dollars per squat--please.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • AsABat
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                  It was originally called an ice axe (or something similar) and seemed
                  to aim at the early season long distance hikers that want something
                  more than a trekking pole but don't want to carry excess weight for
                  something that would probably not really be needed. There was lots of
                  discussion about how well it would work, and a lack of certification.
                  Brian will have to tell us why he changed the name, but it is clever.
                  We're probably jumping the gun here and should wait for the test
                  call. I have been very interested since Brian first made it
                  available.

                  Bill

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David Sowards-Emmerd"
                  <davese@...> wrote:

                  > So are we testing it for snowcamping season (trowel, digging out
                  > stakes, etc.) or for glacier travel season (self-arrests,boot-axe
                  > belays, etc. - or is this something not recommended by the mfg -->
                  > can't be included in the test plan)? The weight sure is nice, but
                  if
                  > it breaks in the field, then it's just dead weight... David
                  >
                  > On 3/1/06, AsABat <wjj2001@...> wrote:
                  > > Sort of hard to do seeing how we only test for 4 months. If I
                  went out
                  > > with it every day during the test period that would be 120 days =
                  120
                  > > squats = 1.25 DPS. I'm not sure what pay toilets charge nowadays,
                  but
                  > > over a lifetime it should be much lower.
                  > >
                  > > Still, there must be another use for this trowel ;-). BUT, if
                  this is
                  > > just a trowel, and I tested it like it was, oh, say, some kind of
                  tool
                  > > for hiking in snow, would that we outside the manufacturer's
                  intended
                  > > purpose? <grin>
                  > >
                  > > Bill
                  > >
                  > > > I'd like the reviews to include DPS--dollars per squat--please.
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • David Sowards-Emmerd
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                    Yup, I was just curious when to expect the test call (not necessarily
                    interested though): immediately or next winter versus late
                    spring/summer. Also, many of the US made axes aren't European 'B' or
                    'T' certified (not just this one). There was an interesting
                    discussion 1 or more years ago in one of the climbing magazines about
                    the difference in US and Europe - there you've got to mfg to
                    regulations, here your only worries are about being sued... getting a
                    little off topic ... D'OH
                    Cheers, David

                    On 3/1/06, AsABat <wjj2001@...> wrote:
                    > It was originally called an ice axe (or something similar) and seemed
                    > to aim at the early season long distance hikers that want something
                    > more than a trekking pole but don't want to carry excess weight for
                    > something that would probably not really be needed. There was lots of
                    > discussion about how well it would work, and a lack of certification.
                    > Brian will have to tell us why he changed the name, but it is clever.
                    > We're probably jumping the gun here and should wait for the test
                    > call. I have been very interested since Brian first made it
                    > available.
                    >
                    > Bill
                    >
                    > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David Sowards-Emmerd"
                    > <davese@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > So are we testing it for snowcamping season (trowel, digging out
                    > > stakes, etc.) or for glacier travel season (self-arrests,boot-axe
                    > > belays, etc. - or is this something not recommended by the mfg -->
                    > > can't be included in the test plan)? The weight sure is nice, but
                    > if
                    > > it breaks in the field, then it's just dead weight... David
                    > >
                    > > On 3/1/06, AsABat <wjj2001@...> wrote:
                    > > > Sort of hard to do seeing how we only test for 4 months. If I
                    > went out
                    > > > with it every day during the test period that would be 120 days =
                    > 120
                    > > > squats = 1.25 DPS. I'm not sure what pay toilets charge nowadays,
                    > but
                    > > > over a lifetime it should be much lower.
                    > > >
                    > > > Still, there must be another use for this trowel ;-). BUT, if
                    > this is
                    > > > just a trowel, and I tested it like it was, oh, say, some kind of
                    > tool
                    > > > for hiking in snow, would that we outside the manufacturer's
                    > intended
                    > > > purpose? <grin>
                    > > >
                    > > > Bill

                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Jerry Goller
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                      Oh, I suspect Brian wouldn't be too upset....... =o)

                      Jerry

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 1, 2006
                        The website not withstanding, it is designed to perform self arrest. Period.
                        No belay. Not a technical ice axe nor should it be considered one.

                        Jerry

                        _____