APPLICATION to Test BRIDGEDALE X-HALE SOCKS - Fuzzy

  • Fuzzy
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2006
      BRIDGEDALE X-HALE SOCKS APPLICATION

      Ahhh... the Joy of Sox.

      Please accept my application to test the Bridgedale X-Hale Socks. If
      selected, I would need the socks in size M, and my color preference
      would be Cool White/Black (1st) or Onyx/Ruby. I have read Chapter 5
      of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 1202, and will follow
      all requirements.

      Tester Bio:
      Name: Chuck Kime
      Nickname: Fuzzy
      Age: 39
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 8" (172 cm)
      Weight: 240 lb (109 kg)
      Email address: chuck_kime AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country: Upper Darby (Philadelphia suburb),
      Pennsylvania, U.S.A.

      Additional Information applicable to this test:
      Foot size: 9EEEE (US)
      Shoe size: 8½EEE-10D (US), depending on cut of shoe

      Backpacking Background:
      Found at end of application.

      Backpacking Background applicable to this test:
      I have been wearing socks for... lesseee... twelve times four... plus
      three... carry the one... almost 40 years now. I prefer wool and
      silk or synthetics when hiking, and have recently been trying
      different singles/combinations to find what pads, cools and protects
      best. I also wear my `technical/hiking' clothing at other times, so
      as not to increase the storage space I require by having duplicate
      items, and to give me increased testing opportunities.

      Field information:
      Our Boy Scout troop camps monthly, generally in the wooded areas of
      southeastern Pennsylvania and the Pocono Mountains. Almost all of
      these outings include a minimum of 2 nights of camping, with
      temperatures expected to be from lows around 25 ºF (-4 ºC) to highs
      around 90 ºF (32 ºC) during the 4-month test period. Elevations will
      range from sea level to approximately 1,500' (457 m). Our new
      Scoutmaster has added monthly hikes to our schedule as well. My wife
      and I, who between us have 3 First Class boy scouts (ages 14, 15 and
      16), are also looking into additional camping without the scouts, and
      there are possibilities of some AT section hikes (two down – many to
      go!) in Pennsylvania and New Jersey with my son as he works towards
      the Hiking Merit Badge.

      I generally wear socks while hiking, foregoing them only when hanging
      around camp in my sandals. As I hope to be on some even more varied
      terrain in the coming months as our Scouts start choosing new
      destinations for our monthly trips, I think it is time to add
      additional socks to my pack, both to keep my feet dry and to try
      different types out.

      I plan to wear the socks on all coming outdoor trips, including
      camping and hiking, as well as wearing them to work (in an office) at
      least once a week, checking for both comfort and durability.

      The socks will be worn with the following footwear:
      · Generic leather (?) sandals from a department store.
      · Coleman Sandals
      · New Balance 851 Trail Runners
      · Cherokee (Target-brand) Hikers
      · New Balance 747 Country Walkers (possibly)

      Things I will be looking for:
      · Fit. Do they fit me? Is the sizing on the web site accurate?
      · Fabric. Is it durable? Does it stretch (permanently)? Does
      it fade? Is it windproof? Waterproof? Does it pill, pull, or snag
      readily?
      · Warmth. How cold can it get and still keep my feet warm in
      sandals? How warm can it get and still keep my feet cool in boots?
      How much warmth do they add to my sleep system?
      · Comfort. Do they keep my feet dry? Is the padding well
      located? The venting areas?
      · Washability. Are there special instructions? Are they easy
      to follow? Do they dry well? Do they hold much dirt in the first
      place?

      Previously Written Reports:

      Completed Tests:

      Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack (September 30, 2003)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%
      20and%20Day%20Packs/Deuter%20Futura%2032/Chuck%20Kime
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/9tm1

      Tektite Trek (was Micra) Lithium Survival Light (October 17, 2003)
      AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Cook Set (January 6, 2004)
      Aquamira Water Treatment (February 19, 2004)
      Integral Designs Denali Pants (April 12, 2004)
      Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Top (April 14, 2004)
      Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin Sleeping Bag (May 10, 2004)
      Gregory Z Pack (June 11, 2004)
      Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High Packcloth Gaiters (July 20, 2004)
      LEKI Pathfinder Jr. Trekking Poles (August 19, 2004)
      Outdoor Research Sahara Sombrero (November 1, 2004)
      Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 Tent (November 1, 2004)
      Equinox Rainsuit (November 9, 2004)
      Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad (December 8, 2004)
      Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp (January 13, 2005)
      Clikstand Complete Cook Set (January 18, 2005)
      Black Diamond Carbon Fiber FlickLock Trekking Poles (April 22, 2005)
      Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Tent (May 26, 2005)
      AntiGravityGear Blue Cozy Cover(s) (August 22, 2005)
      Tilley TH4 Hemp Hat (August 25, 2005)
      Ibex Neck Gaiter (September 8, 2005)
      Ibex Scull Cap (September 8, 2005)
      All Terrain Hikers Hand Sanz (January 13, 2006)
      All Terrain Hikers Wonder Wash (January 13, 2006)
      All Terrain Recovery Rub (January 13, 2006)
      AntiGravityGear Universal Alcohol Stove Accessory Kit (January 23,
      2006)
      Coleman Backpacker Table (January 25, 2006)
      GoLite Feather Sleeping Bag (February 27, 2006)

      Currently Testing Other Items:

      Benchmade Model 530 (Field Report Uploaded 1/18)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Knives/Folding/Benchmade%
      20530/Chuck%20Kime/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/9t9sb

      Outdoor Research Rando Cap (Field Report due now)
      Duofold MultiSport Mid Layer Jacket (Field Report due now)
      Black Diamond Enduro CF Trekking Poles (not started yet)
      Adventure Medical Personal Survival Kit (not started yet)

      Owner Reviews:

      Medium ALICE External Frame Pack (March 13, 2003)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%
      20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/US%20Military%20ALICE%20Pack/Owner%
      20Review%20by%20Chuck%20Kime/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/7grc

      Victorinox Climber Swiss Army Pocket Knife (March 14, 2003)
      Leatherman PST Multi-tool (March 26, 2003)

      All of my reports/reviews may be found here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/chuck_kime
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/ver2

      Tests Currently Monitoring:

      Magellan Mapsend Topo 3D USA

      Tests Previously Monitored:

      Exped Down Air Mattress (DAM)
      "The Hiker's Guide to Preparing Home-Cooked Meals on the Trail" by
      Steve Mroz
      Ex Officio BUZZ OFF Convertible Pants
      MSR OverLand Carbon Trekking Poles
      IBEX Roaster Boxers/Briefs
      JetBoil Pan Adapter (cancelled)
      Hennessy Super Shelter
      Ultralight Outfitters Beercan Stove

      Backpacking Background:
      I started car/trailer camping with the family when I was about 5. I
      enlisted in the Army Reserve during my first year of college and
      spent 17 years fine-tuning my packing methodology - by the time I
      separated from the service, I was down to what I thought was a
      respectable 75-80 lb (34-36 kg) load. When my son started Cub
      Scouts, I brought my 60 lb (27 kg) ALICE pack for a weekend. We got
      to Boy Scouts in the Spring of 2002 and now camp monthly in locations
      ranging from the Chesapeake Bay area (flat and lightly wooded), to
      the Pocono Mountains (flat spots hard to find and very wooded), and
      in all seasons.
      Lightweight (and ultra-lightweight) web sites, advancing age,
      arthritic knees and a car accident, along with a day hike up Pikes
      Peak and AT section hikes, have led me to seriously rethink my gear
      choices, experiment with tarps and hammocks, make some of my own
      gear, and take a closer look at my `toys' with an eye for multi-use
      and light weight. Our troop has now added monthly hikes, taking
      along as many scouts as are willing, to a) get in shape (yeah, yeah,
      I know… round IS a shape), and b) determine what I really need to
      take along. I am relatively confident that I will be able to reduce
      my 3-season pack, now under 30 lb (13.6 kg), to 20 lb (9 kg), before
      food, fuel and water, by the time this season is over.

      Thank you for your consideration,
      Chuck Kime
      a.k.a. Fuzzy