APPLICATION TO TEST: Bite Xtension2 Sandals

  • Lynne
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2005
      (I admit I'm pretty dense...I had this ready to go last night, but
      thought I had until the 8th to post it. A BIG thank you to Steph for
      accepting it anyway! :)

      -=-=-=-=
      Please accept my application for the privilege of testing the Bite
      Xtension2 sandals. I have read Chapter Five of the BackpackGearTest
      Survival Guide version 1202 and agree to follow all requirements. My
      signed Tester Agreement is on file.

      PLEASE NOTE: I am still in newbie status, but I am in the final
      phase of my Princeton Tec EOS test.

      If chosen, I will require a women's size 10. Any color is fine, but
      I prefer the 8005c, natural/navy/teal.

      *************
      TESTER BIO
      *************
      Name: Lynne Durham
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight: 153 lb (69 kg)
      Age: 43
      Shoe size: Women's 10 (US sizing)
      Email: lynnedurham AT yahoo DOT com
      Web: http://www.lynnedurham.net
      Location: Benton Harbor, Michigan, USA
      Date: April 6, 2005

      *************
      BACKPACKING EXPERIENCE
      *************
      I am a backpacking novice - my first trip was in 2002. I have hiked
      and car camped all of my life, mostly in the relative flatlands of
      the lower and upper peninsulas of Michigan, but also in areas east
      of the Continental Divide, such as South Dakota, New England,
      Kentucky, Florida, Ohio, Indiana, and more. In September, 2004 I did
      my first solo backpacking trip and in October, 2004 I did a single-
      day, rim-to-rim hike of the Grand Canyon. I keep my pack weight to
      25% of bodyweight or less but I always bring optional or comfort
      items.

      My other outdoor experience includes trail running and snowshoeing;
      I am a paddling, climbing and adventure racing novice.

      I usually do all of my trail work -- including backpacking,
      dayhiking, trail-adoption chores and trail running -- in a pair of
      trail runners. I usually replace the manufacturer's insole with an
      over-the-counter insole of my choice. Some sandals, however, offer
      plenty of arch support for my needs. But I have not been able to
      find a pair of sandals that will allow me to hike in them without
      developing blisters. I've come to begrudgingly think that I may not
      be made to hike without socks, but my search continues.

      *************
      TEST PLAN: LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS
      *************
      If chosen to test the Bite Xtension2 sandals, I will use the sandals
      as my primary footwear for most outdoor activities. During the test
      period, I currently have several trips planned, including trips in
      Michigan, Kentucky, and Arizona. This means the sandals may be
      subjected to:
      - Rocky, rugged conditions
      - Well-maintained forest trails
      - Steep sand dunes
      - Smooth, well-worn sandstone
      - Wet, muddy trails
      - Creek/river crossings

      *************
      TEST PLAN: ACTIVITIES
      *************
      This period will include at least 1 weekend backpacking trips along
      the North Country Trail, a long-weekend backpacking trip in the
      Mammoth Cave National Park area, a 4-5 day backpacking trip along
      Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, and dozens of dayhikes.
      Additionally, the sandals will be tested during at least one kayak
      or canoe trip and will be used as trail runners. The sandals may be
      used during a short (8-hour) adventure race in May. All trips will
      occur during the spring, summer and early fall.

      *************
      TEST PLAN: QUESTIONS TO BE ANSWERED
      *************
      Fit:
      - Do the pulley strapping system and dual buckle design allow
      adequate flexibility in fit?
      - Does the fit system allow the sandals to stay well-fitted through
      hours of use, or do the sandals require regular readjustment?
      - How is the midsole designed? Does the arch offer the right amount
      of support where I need it?

      Comfort:
      - Do these sandals provide adequate arch support for backpacking?
      Dayhiking? Trail running?
      - Do the sandals cause any hot spots?
      - Are they comfortable enough to run in for hours at a time?
      - Is the cushioning adequate for my needs?
      - How comfortable is the shoe when wet? Does dampness increase the
      possibility of hot spots?

      Performance:
      - Is the fit system easy to use? Can I get these sandals on and off
      quickly?
      - Does the Toe Guard adequately protect the toes?
      - How does the sandal perform in sand dunes? It seems like the open
      design would allow the sand to sift out easily...does this help me
      avoid the black toenails I inevitably experience when hiking or
      running in sand?
      - Does the outsole adequately grip a variety of surfaces? Does it
      offer better performance on one terrain versus another?
      - Is the open design a hindrance -- does too much trail debris get
      under the foot? Or does it allow trail debris to slip out as easily
      as it slips in?
      - How does the sandal handle perspiration? Is the airflow such that
      perspiration dries very quickly? Or will it feel like a slimy mess?
      - Do the Motion Control Stabilizer and Spring Bar provide adequate
      lateral (side-to-side) stability on a variety of trail surfaces?

      *************
      PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN REPORTS
      *************

      Owner Reviews
      Design Salt Silk Mummy liner (September 21, 2004)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Summer%20Bags%
      20and%20Liners/Design%20Salt%20Silk%20Mummy%20liner/Owner%20Review%
      20by%20Lynne%20Durham/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/6xewm

      Salomon XA Pro 2 Trail-Running Shoes (September 21, 2004)
      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/reviews/Footwear/Trail%
      20Shoes/Salomon%20XA%20Pro%202%20Trail-Running%20Shoes/Owner%
      20Review%20by%20Lynne%20Durham/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/5xkop

      Motorola Talkabout FR50 Handheld 2-Way Radio (November 20, 2004)
      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/reviews/Communication_Gear/Two-
      way_Radios/Motorola%20Talkabout%20FR50/Owner%20Review%20by%20Lynne%
      20Durham/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/6pbgs

      Currently Testing Other Items:
      Princeton Tec EOS Headlamp. My field report can be found at
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Lighting/Headlamps%20-%
      20LED/Princeton%20Tec%20EOS/Lynne%20Durham/Field%20Report/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/4t6pf

      Completed Tests:
      None at this time. My current status is still "newbie."

      Currently Serving as Monitor For:
      None at this time, but have volunteered to help out as needed.
      Additionally, I helped Andrew with the calendar moving project
      during the new group start up.

      Thank you for your consideration,

      Lynne Durham
      Benton Harbor, Michigan USA