LTR- Dahlgren Alpaca DriStride Backpacker Socks

  • David Posalski
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2005
      Long Term Report: Dahlgren Footwear Backpacking Socks
      Personal biographical information
      David Posalski
      5'11", 180 cm
      265 lb , 120 kg
      dposalski at msn.com
      Aloha, Oregon, USA
      I started backpacking as a kid in the Boy Scouts doing overnighters.
      In the last few months, I have had a desire see things that a
      relatively few people have seen. This has drawn me back to
      backpacking. I have found it to be the most enjoyable thing I know.
      I have gotten my wife involved and we get out and hike at least once
      a month. I have lowered my pack weight from about 40 lbs (18 kg) and
      am in the process of decreasing that weight to 20 lbs (9 kg).

      Manufacturer's data

      Manufacturer- Dahlgren Footwear
      Website- www.dahlgrenfootwear.com
      Model- Dristride Alpaca Backpacking
      Size- Large
      Color- Dark Olive
      Weight- 4.2oz (119 g)
      MSRP- $17.00
      Fabric content:
      Toe/Heel- 45% Alpaca, 45% Merino wool, 10% Nylon
      Arch/Instep- 75% Wickspun Acrylic, 25% Nylon
      Leg 90% Wickspun Acrylic, 10% Nylon

      Geographical Information

      I have used these socks in the Western Oregon area in altitudes from
      sea level to about 5000 ft (1500 m). I used the socks in wet, rainy
      conditions as well as sandy, beach conditions. It will be used on
      trails and on open beaches. I used the socks for any hiking that I
      have done as well as during all outdoor work that I have done. I
      have worn the socks every weekend since I received them and have
      washed them about 15 times. Temperatures have been between 10 F (-12
      C) and 70 F (21 C). I have worn these socks in wet weather and in

      My Long Term Evaluation

      Dahlgren has a winner in these socks. I must say that the
      durability of these socks has far exceeded my expectations. The
      socks have been put through a grueling trial on my big feet and
      through my washing machine. I have worn them for as many as four
      straight days without washing and have had no issues with odor or
      discomfort. They hold well to my calf and do not drop down my leg. I
      would have expected by this time that they would drop down my leg,
      but have not found that to be the case. The bottom of the foot
      still supports my arch and the padding is still there. The
      elasticity in these socks has been excellent. They have the same
      snug, controlled feel when I put them on as they did when I first
      got them. They do have some pilling, but that is what I would
      expect to have in a sock like this. I have not found it to be
      problematic, but will watch this as I move forward in the test.
      These socks are very warm. I have cold feet when sitting and then I
      get very warm feet when walking or hiking. I have found that my feet
      do get warm in the cold weather, but have never felt any
      perspiration or discomfort. The wicking ability of these socks has
      been as good as is needed for the conditions that I have been in. I
      have had no problem with these socks sliding down into my boots or
      into my shoes. They have caused me no blisters and they have not
      caused sliding in my boots.
      I have found myself wearing these socks around my house as they keep
      my feet nice and toasty. I almost use them like slippers in my
      house. They are soft and very comfortable. The padding in the heels
      and toes has been effective and I have enjoyed the extra comfort. I
      would rate these socks a ten out of ten. These socks are not only
      durable, but they are very comfortable and fit the expectations that
      I would have for a high-quality sock. I found no areas that I would
      change in the sock, as they have done exactly what they were
      designed to do.

      I truly appreciate the opportunity that Dahlgren has given me to
      test a great pair of socks. I probably would not have bought this
      pair of socks before seeing a review of them due to the variety of
      brands in this marketplace. I hope that this review will convince
      others to try these excellent socks.