EDIT: IR- Sure Foot Get-A-Grip Advanced Jennifer Koles

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2006
      This is the official edit of Jennifer Koles' Initial Report on the
      Surefoot Co.'s "Get-A-Grip Advanced" Traction Devices by your newly
      appointed monitor -
      André

      My edits follow the usual format of
      EDIT-must do
      edit - think about changing this
      Comment - just that.

      Your link works and I like your pictures!

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jenn K."
      <jennksnowy@...> wrote:

      > HTML file is in the test/TESTS folder
      >
      > Initial Report: Sure Foot Get-A-Grip Advanced
      > Jennifer Koles
      >
      > January 23, 2006
      >

      > Reviewer Information
      >
      > Name: Jennifer Koles
      >
      > Age: 31
      >
      > Gender: Female
      >
      > Height: 5' 5" (1.65 m)

      comment: you may wish to put in "ft" and "in" - the little lines
      aren't fammiliar to everyone overseas (though most people there will
      admittedly look at the metric conversions and ignore this - your
      call.
      <snip>

      > Product Information
      >
      > The Get-A-Grip Advanced comes packaged with 12 replaceable carbide
      > spikes.

      comment: Does it? From what I gathered reading Eric's review, it
      sounded to me as though two replacement spikes were included with
      the product itself - could the additional six be a freebie?
      <snip>

      > Dimensions: 9.5 in x 5 in (24.13 cm x 12.70 cm) (for size medium,
      not
      > placed on shoe)

      edit: I find the accuracy of your conversion possibly excessive.
      Whenever the conversion suggests an accuracy greater than the
      converted measurement had, it is best to round off (say, 24.1x12.7
      or even 24x13)

      > "The Ice Diamond carbide spikes last 10 times longer than steel.
      They
      > are technically designed to give and release from undo stress
      without
      > tearing the rubber."

      EDIT: "undue stress" - if the typo is in the original, it is
      customary to mark this by including [sic] right behind the word with
      the typo (latin, meaning: "so, like that")

      <snip>
      > Initial Impression
      >
      > The product arrived USPS Priority Mail within one day of shipping
      from
      > the manufacturer in North Dakota. The product was contained in a
      > rectangular clear plastic package. Included was a clear small
      > package of 6 replacement Ice Diamond carbide spikes. Also
      included in
      > the packaging was a letter from the manufacturer stating the key
      > features of the product and an informational brochure of Sure
      Foot's
      > other Get-A-Grip products.

      Edit: You've likely read a lot of intros to IRs online in old
      reports. We (that is, the Mods) decided some time ago that as how it
      was shipped really is irrelevant to the product, these descriptios
      aren't really desirable in IRs. So most of the above section can go -
      but I would be interested on your take of what exactly comes part
      and parcel with the package.

      > The packaging for the Get-A-Grip Advanced notes how to replace the
      Ice
      > Diamond carbide spikes. There is also a description of the product
      > and the features are noted. The available sizes are listed and
      > contact information for the manufacturer. There are some
      illustrations
      > of the product.
      >
      > The packaging for the replacement spikes notes how to replace the
      > spikes, a short product description, appropriate use, and contact
      > information for the manufacturer.
      >
      > Inside the packaging of the traction device no instructions were
      found
      > on how to care for the device or the mounting/removal process. It
      was
      > easy enough for me to figure out how to put the device on and take
      off
      > my running shoes.

      EDIT: This reads as though you (finally!) figured out how to take
      off your running shoes... (grin)

      There is an illustration of the support ring that
      > is to allow for easy on and off of the device. The support ring is
      > piece of rubber molded into the device allowing you to place your
      > fingers inside to more easily slip the device over the heel of the
      foot.

      EDIT: this is the projecting police speaking. You don't know if it
      will allow *me* to do so (you haven't seen my fingers). It's
      generally best to phrase all these descriptions making reference
      only to oneself (avoids discussions of whether it's projecting or
      not - I understand one can use the term "you" without projecting,
      but I've found that whenever I'm really not projecting, it's also
      easy to say without the term "you").

      > The device appears well constructed with thick rubber. All the
      spikes
      > were in place on the device upon opening the package. The rubber
      is
      > pliable allowing me roll and fold the device for storage.

      EDIT: allowing me *to* roll and ...

      <snip>

      > Testing Locations
      >
      > This item will be primarily tested in the mountainous region of
      > northern Utah. Most elevation ranges in the Utah Wasatch and Uinta
      > Mountain Ranges are between 9,000-10,000 ft. (2700-3000 m). The
      > average temperature in these mountain ranges during the winter
      months
      > is 25 F (14 C).

      EDIT: 25 F equals -4 C. You likely slipped into the "Temperature
      Difference" column of the BGT conversion utility. To explain: 50 F
      equals 10 C. That means that a difference of 25 degrees (measured in
      Fahrenheit, as in the difference between 25 F and 50 F) is a
      difference of 14 degrees C (as in the difference between -4 C and 10
      C).

      The average amount of snowfall is 500 in (13 m) in the
      > Wasatch Mountain Range.

      Comment: Holy Cow, that's LOTS OF SNOW.

      > The Salt Lake City Valley area with an elevation of 5500 ft (1700
      m).
      > The average temperature in Salt Lake City is approximately 40 F
      (4 C).

      Edit: The conversion is correct, but what time frame does that
      average refer to? As a yearly average it would be nearly meaningless
      for the report.

      > Yellowstone National Park in early April of 2006. A cycling tour
      > starts in West Yellowstone, Montana (elevation of 6667 ft (2000 m))
      > and ends at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (elevation of 8850
      ft
      > (2700 m)). There are many trails that are open and accessible
      during
      > this time of year. However they are usually snow packed and icy.
      > Some of the trails that I intend on hiking are the Norris Geyser
      Basin
      > Trails and Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone Viewpoints. The average
      > daytime temperature in the park in April is 35-40 F (1.67-4 C).
      The
      > temperatures during the night are below freezing. The park averages
      > 150-400 in (4-10m) of snowfall per year.

      Comment: Sounds like an absolutely awesome bike trip.

      <snip>

      You're clear to upload once you've taken care of these. Please don't
      hesitate to contact me if there are any problems with the test. Once
      you've uploaded, it would be nice if you requested (on the list) a
      Mod to delete your test file. Sorry to edit so late, but I was only
      appointed a few hours ago.

      Good report, btw.

      André