APPLICATION to Test BLACK DIAMOND MOUNTAIN SERIES ENDURO TREKKING POLES - Fuzzy

  • Fuzzy
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
      BLACK DIAMOND MOUNTAIN SERIES ENDURO TREKKING POLES APPLICATION

      Please accept my application to test the Black Diamond Mountain
      Series Enduro CF trekking poles. I have read Chapter 5 of the
      BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 1202, and will follow all
      requirements.

      Tester Bio:
      Name: Chuck Kime
      Nickname: Fuzzy
      Age: 39
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 8" (172 cm)
      Weight: 240 lb (109 kg)
      Email address: chuck_kime AT yahoo DOT com
      City, State, Country: Upper Darby (Philadelphia suburb), PA, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background:
      Found at end of application.

      Backpacking Background applicable to this test:
      I started using a single wooden hiking stave three years ago at a Boy
      Scout day hike. I switched to two adjustable trekking poles (from
      Target) the following summer prior to my trip to Philmont Scout
      Ranch. I tested BD's Carbon Fiber FlickLocks for BGT and found
      everything about them to be wonderful, except the collapsed length.
      I continue to use poles on all of my trips, both to reduce stress on
      my knees (yeah, I know – I could stand to lose weight), and to have
      poles to set up my Lunar Solo tent.

      Field information:
      Our Boy Scout troop camps monthly, generally in the wooded areas of
      southeastern Pennsylvania and the Pocono Mountains. Almost all of
      these outings include a minimum of 2 nights of camping, with
      temperatures expected to be from lows around 25 ºF (-4 ºC) to highs
      around 85 ºF (29 ºC) during the 4-month test period. Elevations will
      range from sea level to approximately 1,500' (457 m). Our new
      Scoutmaster has added monthly hikes to our schedule as well. My wife
      and I, who between us have 3 First Class boy scouts (ages 14, 15 and
      15), are also looking into additional camping without the scouts, and
      there are possibilities of some AT section hikes (two down – many to
      go!) in Pennsylvania and New Jersey with my son as he works towards
      the Hiking Merit Badge.

      The poles will see more than ample days of usage over the testing
      period, even if I only take them out for test drives, but I certainly
      expect to put some good miles on them in the field.

      Things I will be looking for:
      · Adjustability. How easily can I adjust them, and how
      quickly? Do they stay where they are set? If not, can I adjust that
      easily? Does the FlickLock mechanism make it easier to adjust the
      height when using the poles to pitch a tarp? Do they fit in my
      luggage/on my pack when not in use?
      · Comfort. Does the construction effectively dampen vibration
      (and hopefully sound)?
      · Grips. Do they fit my hands comfortably? Is sweating an
      issue? Does the foam abrade readily?
      · Straps. Are they readily adjustable? Comfortable? Are
      there any edges or buckles that cause pressure points?
      · Durability. Do they wear well? Do they bend when used
      appropriately (I'm not a small guy, and I USE my poles)?
      · Multi-use. Are they long enough to pitch a tarp for shelter?

      Previously Written Reports:

      Completed Tests:

      Deuter Futura 32 Day Pack (September 30, 2003)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Frameless%20Backpacks%
      20and%20Day%20Packs/Deuter%20Futura%2032/Chuck%20Kime
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/9tm1

      Tektite Trek (was Micra) Lithium Survival Light (October 17, 2003)
      AntiGravityGear Mama's Kitchen Cook Set (January 6, 2004)
      Aquamira Water Treatment (February 19, 2004)
      Integral Designs Denali Pants (April 12, 2004)
      Hot Chillys Bio-Silver Bi-Ply Top (April 14, 2004)
      Snugpak Softie 3 Merlin Sleeping Bag (May 10, 2004)
      Gregory Z Pack (June 11, 2004)
      Outdoor Research Rocky Mountain High Packcloth Gaiters (July 20, 2004)
      LEKI Pathfinder Jr. Trekking Poles (August 19, 2004)
      Outdoor Research Sahara Sombrero (November 1, 2004)
      Big Agnes Seedhouse 3 Tent (November 1, 2004)
      Equinox Rainsuit (November 9, 2004)
      Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad (December 8, 2004)
      Petzl Tikka Plus Headlamp (January 13, 2005)
      Clikstand Complete Cook Set (January 18, 2005)
      Black Diamond Carbon Fiber FlickLock Trekking Poles (April 22, 2005)
      Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo Tent (May 26, 2005)
      AntiGravityGear Blue Cozy Cover(s) (August 22, 2005)
      Tilley TH4 Hemp Hat (August 25, 2005)
      Ibex Neck Gaiter (September 8, 2005)
      Ibex Scull Cap (September 8, 2005)
      All Terrain Hikers Hand Sanz (January 13, 2006)
      All Terrain Hikers Wonder Wash (January 13, 2006)
      All Terrain Recovery Rub (January 13, 2006)
      AntiGravityGear Universal Alcohol Stove Accessory Kit (January 23,
      2006)
      Coleman Backpacker Table (January 25, 2006)

      Currently Testing Other Items:

      GoLite Feather Sleeping Bag (Long Term Report due now)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
      20Bags/GoLite%20Feather%20Sleeping%20Bag/Chuck%20Kime/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/79xyt

      Benchmade Model 530 (Field Report Uploaded 1/18)
      Outdoor Research Rando Cap (Initial Report Uploaded 12/20)
      Duofold MultiSport Mid Layer Jacket (Initial Report Uploaded 1/13)

      Owner Reviews:

      Medium ALICE External Frame Pack (March 13, 2003)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%
      20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/US%20Military%20ALICE%20Pack/Owner%
      20Review%20by%20Chuck%20Kime/
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/7grc

      Victorinox Climber Swiss Army Pocket Knife (March 14, 2003)
      Leatherman PST Multi-tool (March 26, 2003)

      All of my reports/reviews may be found here:
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/chuck_kime
      -or-
      http://tinyurl.com/ver2

      Tests Currently Monitoring:

      Ultralight Outfitters Beercan Stove
      Magellan Mapsend Topo 3D USA (awaiting shipping)

      Tests Previously Monitored:

      Exped Down Air Mattress (DAM)
      "The Hiker's Guide to Preparing Home-Cooked Meals on the Trail" by
      Steve Mroz
      Ex Officio BUZZ OFF Convertible Pants
      MSR OverLand Carbon Trekking Poles
      IBEX Roaster Boxers/Briefs
      JetBoil Pan Adapter (cancelled)
      Hennessey Super Shelter

      Backpacking Background:
      I started car/trailer camping with the family when I was about 5. I
      enlisted in the Army Reserve during my first year of college and
      spent 17 years fine-tuning my packing methodology - by the time I
      separated from the service, I was down to what I thought was a
      respectable 75-80 lb (34-36 kg) load. When my son started Cub
      Scouts, I brought my 60 lb (27 kg) ALICE pack for a weekend. We got
      to Boy Scouts in the Spring of 2002 and now camp monthly in locations
      ranging from the Chesapeake Bay area (flat and lightly wooded), to
      the Pocono Mountains (flat spots hard to find and very wooded), and
      in all seasons.
      Lightweight (and ultra-lightweight) web sites, advancing age,
      arthritic knees and a car accident, along with a day hike up Pikes
      Peak and AT section hikes, have led me to seriously rethink my gear
      choices, experiment with tarps and hammocks, make some of my own
      gear, and take a closer look at my `toys' with an eye for multi-use
      and light weight. Our troop has now added monthly hikes, taking
      along as many scouts as are willing, to a) get in shape (yeah, yeah,
      I know… round IS a shape), and b) determine what I really need to
      take along. I am relatively confident that I will be able to reduce
      my 3-season pack, now under 30 lb (13.6 kg), to 20 lb (9 kg), before
      food, fuel and water, by the time this season is over.

      Thank you for your consideration,
      Chuck Kime
      a.k.a. Fuzzy
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
        At 03:41 AM 3/02/2006, you wrote:
        >Black Diamond has offered us some of their brand New (not even on the
        >website) Black Diamond Mountain Series Enduro CF 3 section hiking
        >poles for testing!

        Hi Jim

        Black Diamond does not allow international testers, unless that
        policy has changed.

        Andrew

      • JimSabis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2006
          In a message dated 2/3/2006 1:58:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          apriest@... writes:

          Hi Jim

          Black Diamond does not allow international testers, unless that
          policy has changed.

          Andrew
          #######

          Andrew,

          Thanks, I am unaware of any policy change. I filled in for Dennis on this
          call and assumed (silly me!) that a big company like BD would ship international.

          So noted.

          Jim S.

        • Fuzzy
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 24, 2006
            ARRIVED (finally): BD Mountain Series Enduro CF Poles - Fuzzy

            Arrived: April 24, 2006
            Via: Brown Santa
            Condition: Undamaged
            IR Due by: May 1, 2006