re Outdoor Retailer Show

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
      > We'll be welcoming
      > some new manufacturers on board as well testing with some of our regulars.
      > We've also been asked to test some newly redesigned items we've already
      > tested.
      But will they ship overseas, to Australia and Europe?

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
        We always emphasize that we have testers all over the world.

        Jerry

        reviews and tests on the planet.

        > some new manufacturers on board as well testing with some of our regulars.
        > We've also been asked to test some newly redesigned items we've
        > already tested.
        But will they ship overseas, to Australia and Europe?

        Cheers
        Roger Caffin

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Roger Caffin
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
          > > > We'll be welcoming
          > > > some new manufacturers on board as well testing with some of our regulars.
          > > > We've also been asked to test some newly redesigned items we've
          > > > already tested.
          > > But will they ship overseas, to Australia and Europe?
          > We always emphasize that we have testers all over the world.
          > Jerry

          Yeah, I know we do. But I have this growing list of tests for which I was selected, only to find out eventually that the
          PR firm welched out on shipping overseas when it came to the crunch.
          Well, some of them had other excuses, I grant. Ah, just put it down to frustration on my part!

          Cheers
          Roger Caffin
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
            They weren't.

            Jerry

            _____

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 2, 2006
              It's a shame that some retailers are like that. You'd think that they would
              want the positive, or constructively negative, criticisms about their
              product. Oh well. as the old saying goes, you'll tell one person about
              something you like, while you'll tell ten people about something you don't
              like.

              Visit Corridor9.net

              Blogging about: Hiking, Camping, BGT, Linux, Gentoo, Fire Fighting, and
              more!

            • JimSabis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                In a message dated 2/3/2006 12:31:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                ChiefModerator@... writes:
                They weren't.

                Jerry
                #######

                Hmmmmm. Can't handle real test reports, eh? Funny, I was getting ready to try
                some of their stuff, too.

                Jim S.

              • Andy Mytys
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                  I often wonder if one of the issues that BGT has with satisfying
                  customers has to do with the delta between the
                  manufacturers "intended" or "ideal" customers and usage and the fact
                  that BGT represents "real world" customers.

                  --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, MadFireman
                  <madfireman@...> wrote:

                  > It's a shame that some retailers are like that. You'd think that
                  they would
                  > want the positive, or constructively negative, criticisms about
                  their
                  > product. Oh well. as the old saying goes, you'll tell one person
                  about
                  > something you like, while you'll tell ten people about something
                  you don't
                  > like.
                  >

                  > Visit Corridor9.net
                  >
                  > Blogging about: Hiking, Camping, BGT, Linux, Gentoo, Fire Fighting,
                  and
                  > more!
                  >

                  > > They weren't.
                  >

                  > > Jerry
                  >

                  > > Just saw the updated GoLite Site.
                  >
                  > > Boy I hope they were nice to us at the OR show.
                  >
                  > > They have some nice new packs.
                  >

                  > > TV

                • Andy Mytys
                  Message 8 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                    that should have read "satisfying manufacturers"

                    --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I often wonder if one of the issues that BGT has with satisfying
                    > customers has to do with the delta between the
                    > manufacturers "intended" or "ideal" customers and usage and the
                    fact
                    > that BGT represents "real world" customers.
                    >
                    > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, MadFireman
                    > <madfireman@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > It's a shame that some retailers are like that. You'd think that
                    > they would
                    > > want the positive, or constructively negative, criticisms about
                    > their
                    > > product. Oh well. as the old saying goes, you'll tell one person
                    > about
                    > > something you like, while you'll tell ten people about something
                    > you don't
                    > > like.
                    > >

                    > > Visit Corridor9.net
                    > >
                    > > Blogging about: Hiking, Camping, BGT, Linux, Gentoo, Fire
                    Fighting,
                    > and
                    > > more!
                    > >

                    > > > They weren't.
                    > >

                    > > > Jerry
                    > >

                    > > > Just saw the updated GoLite Site.
                    > >
                    > > > Boy I hope they were nice to us at the OR show.
                    > >
                    > > > They have some nice new packs.
                    > >

                    > > > TV

                  • Jerry Goller
                    Message 9 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                      That's not really it. They have a budget for promotion and they direct
                      portions of that budget where they feel it will do them the most good.

                      They probably feel that other avenues give them more bang for their buck
                      with lightweight backpackers.

                      For all I know, they direct 50% of that budget to us.

                      Its nothing personal, just business.

                      Jerry

                      _____

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                        That's a little bit easier to understand. You're short reply before made me
                        assume that they were just plain rude. Thanks for the insight.

                        Andrew B.

                        Visit Corridor9.net
                        Blogging about: Hiking, Camping, BGT, Linux, Gentoo, Fire Fighting, and
                        more!

                      • Jerry Goller
                        Message 11 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                          I should also clarify that we are testing two items with them.

                          Jerry

                          _____

                          In a message dated 2/3/2006 12:31:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                          ChiefModerator@... writes:
                          They weren't.

                          Jerry
                          #######

                          Hmmmmm. Can't handle real test reports, eh? Funny, I was getting ready to
                          try
                          some of their stuff, too.

                          Jim S.

                          Outdoor
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoor+recreation&w1=Outdoor+recreatio
                          n&w2=Recreation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=R
                          ecreation+jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=oFEu6xvdIQZDa5H6NxqHUQ> recreation
                          Recreation
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Recreation+vehicles&w1=Outdoor+recreati
                          on&w2=Recreation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=
                          Recreation+jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=sntvw2-82wrdGg8FArPyjQ> vehicles Gsi
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Gsi+outdoors&w1=Outdoor+recreation&w2=R
                          ecreation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=Recreat
                          ion+jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=aFyHKEWMvkvuveBXoxGRkQ> outdoors
                          Outdoors
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Outdoors&w1=Outdoor+recreation&w2=Recre
                          ation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=Recreation+
                          jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=9SDgba5mFnwqIoWVLCJqSA> Recreation
                          <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Recreation+jobs&w1=Outdoor+recreation&w
                          2=Recreation+vehicles&w3=Gsi+outdoors&w4=Outdoors&w5=Recreation+jobs&w6=Recr
                          eation+jobs&c=6&s=123&.sig=Y_4FwVWw5PLv3gIz2-eGxQ> jobs Recreation

                          Message 12 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                            In GoLite's case that is possible. They lean more toward organizations like
                            BackpackingLight.com for their reviews.

                            Jerry

                            _____

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                              Naw, never. Kim and Coup are two of the nicest people I know. I'm not sure
                              they are even capable of being rude....lol.

                              I was not feeling well though most of the show and it sometimes shows.

                              Jerry

                              _____

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                In a message dated 2/3/2006 10:15:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                ChiefModerator@... writes:
                                They probably feel that other avenues give them more bang for their buck
                                with lightweight backpackers.

                                For all I know, they direct 50% of that budget to us.

                                Its nothing personal, just business.

                                Jerry
                                #######

                                In that case, you really can't argue with it. It came across as personal, but
                                business is business and perfectly legit. i thought they might have been
                                unhappy with us fo rsome reason.

                                Jim S.

                              • rebecca@backpackgeartest.org
                                Message 15 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                  Actually, they do like us. The two things they are having us test are
                                  items made with new materials - they are especially interested in our
                                  foodback since they are so new, and we do the long term testing where
                                  durability issues will come up (their particular concern with one of the
                                  material).

                                  > In a message dated 2/3/2006 10:15:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                  > ChiefModerator@... writes:
                                  > They probably feel that other avenues give them more bang for their buck
                                  > with lightweight backpackers.
                                  >
                                  > For all I know, they direct 50% of that budget to us.
                                  >
                                  > Its nothing personal, just business.
                                  >
                                  > Jerry
                                  > #######
                                  >
                                  > In that case, you really can't argue with it. It came across as personal,
                                  > but
                                  > business is business and perfectly legit. i thought they might have been
                                  > unhappy with us fo rsome reason.
                                  >
                                  > Jim S.

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Jerry Goller
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                    Not that I know of. I was mildly annoyed when I found out they weren't going
                                    to test their new Echo jacket through us but I was also not feeling
                                    particularly well nor was I in the best of moods.

                                    Jerry

                                    _____

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                      OTOH, if we're short on testers, compared to the amount of
                                      manufacturer interest, is it a bad thing if we get some rotation in
                                      terms of who does business with us? The way I look at it, GoLite
                                      taking a BGT hiatus just gives someone else a chance to give us a
                                      whirl.

                                      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"

                                      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the
                                      > most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.
                                      >

                                      > _____

                                      subject=Unsubscribe>

                                      Service
                                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                                      >

                                      > _____

                                    • Jerry Goller
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 3, 2006
                                        They've historically only tested 2 items at a time with us. Nothing has
                                        changed.

                                        Jerry

                                        _____

                                        _____