EDITS: Ibex Fall Line Pant Field Report/Jason B Also Mod question: Stephanie/Andy

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
      Subject: EDITS: Ibex Fall Line Pant Field Report/Jason B ***Also, Moderator question for Stephanie/andy

      Jason-

      Nice job. I have some edits, below. EDITS are bigger issues than Edits. I am guessing that you plan to make the reference to your Initial Report "clickable" in the HTML version. BTW, most testers seem to be using upper case for both words, but it may not be a huge deal. the Moderator question is in the first EDIT and has to do with the Pant/pants spelling queston.

      I look forward to seeing the HTML version.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen

      ****EDIT:
      Product Description, then Field Conditions. Check:
      The Ibex Fall Line pants/ The Ibex Fall Line pant. Don't we just love these little dilemmae? "Pants" are always plural and spelled with an /s/ on the end in English. Ibex has chosen to call this product "Fall Line Pant." In fact there is a men's clothing section designated "Pants," many of which are captioned XXX XXX Pant. What you MIGHT do is capitalize Pant when used as part of the item's name, but use lower case for pants when you are meaning a more generic term. Maybe we can get an "Official Ruling" from a Moderator.

      "Product Description:

      The Ibex Fall Line pants are winter pants made of a wool soft shell
      material. For a more detailed description please see my initial
      report."

      "Field Conditions:
      The Ibex Fall Line pant has been used on all kinds of outdoor
      adventures over the past two months..."

      ****EDIT: Spelling: chafing/not chaffing.

      (SNIP)
      "However, I am on my second pair because of a zipper breaking and I
      have had some chaffing after a fairly long day hike."

      ****Edit: Here is something I hate to see. We are looking for how items tested apply to backpacking. You say you haven't been backpacking, and then raise the issue that the pants large (for you) waist might be an issue with a real backpack's hip belt. OUCH! Any chance you can hike around with your loaded pack and check this issue? Or, leave it out until your LTR? I am guessing that sending the pants back for replacement put a kink in your plans...

      "Speaking of wearing belts, I have not had the opportunity to
      backpack with the pants yet so I cannot report on whether there is
      any discomfort due to a backpack hip belt. I use a small day pack
      that has a hip belt, but it does not conform to me like a hip belt
      on a backpack will."

      (SNIP)

      Edit: I'm getting a flag from the spelling/grammar editor. It could be that pair means two pants, but is considered as a unit. Think "a pair was left," and decide if you are more comfortable with were left or was left.

      "I did and several weeks later a new pair of pants were
      left on my doorstep."

      (SNIP)

      ****EDIT: Chafing/chaffing issue again.

      "Fit: How well do the pants fit? (So far they are doing ok, I did
      notice some chaffing initially, but have not been able to replicate
      that problem.)"

      (SNIP)

      ****EDIT: The answer to this one is unclear. It almost seems to be answering a different question. Maybe, "Nope, but water will soak..." would fix this for you.

      "I normally sit or kneel on the ground while doing everyday camp
      chores like collecting firewood, cooking or building a fire; do I
      need to be worried about the pants coming in contact with rocks,
      sticks and dirt? (Nope, water will soak though if I stoop in a
      puddle or sit on a wet log.)"

      (SNIP)

      ****Edit: I'm not sure whether you mean "...finish a climb up A hill," or "a climb uphill.?"

      "They do heat up a bit when I have performed high exertion activities but everything goes
      back to normal when I stop doing the high exertion activities, i.e.
      finish a climb up hill.)"

    • Stephanie Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2006

        > ****EDIT:
        > Product Description, then Field Conditions. Check:
        > The Ibex Fall Line pants/ The Ibex Fall Line pant. Don't we just love
        > these little dilemmae? "Pants" are always plural and spelled with an /s/
        > on the end in English. Ibex has chosen to call this product "Fall Line
        > Pant." In fact there is a men's clothing section designated "Pants," many
        > of which are captioned XXX XXX Pant. What you MIGHT do is capitalize
        > Pant when used as part of the item's name, but use lower case for pants
        > when you are meaning a more generic term. Maybe we can get an "Official
        > Ruling" from a Moderator.

        In the title, call it by whatever Ibex calls it.
        Rosaleen, your suggestion makes sense - when referringto the product by
        name, use Ibex's nomenclature. Otherwise, calling them pants is fine.

        -Stephanie

        --
        http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
        The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!