EDITS: Field Report - Ibex Fall Line pant - Coy Boy

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      Subject: EDITS: Field Report - Ibex Fall Line pant - Coy Boy

      Hey, Coy Boy,

      Thanks for throwing in a few mistakes for me to find. Your HTML version looks wonderful, as I noted earlier. I'd be intimidated by your skills if your report were to be TOTALLY perfect. <wink!>

      It was a pleasure to read your report, as usual. Edits follow.

      Oh, and a note from "Mom:" See if white vinegar sponged across those pesky limestone marks cleans them up before the pants are tossed into the wash. The mild acetic acid should dissolve the calcium carbonate (limestone). If your tap water is like the stuff in Huntsville, it is loaded with dissolved limestone unless you have a water softener installed. It makes it tougher to wash limestone out without something to dissolve it.

      Cheers!

      Rosaleen

      (SNIP)

      The pants feature the afore mentioned Climawool® Cirrus softshell
      (PTT, Polyester exterior, 100% eco-washed wool interior).

      (SNIP)

      ****Edit:

      "All zippers except the fly have a small ribbon like pull-tab with the
      IBEX logo over a raised soft section to make it easy to grab and
      pull the zippers."

      For want of a better explanation, this sentence seems a bit awkward. Besides, you are pulling on the zipper tab, closure, pull, whatever, not exactly the zipper itself. How does this sound to you? "All zippers except the fly have a small ribbon like pull-tab with the IBEX logo over a raised soft section to making it easy to grab" the tab and work the zippers. (Or, open and close, manipulate, whatever?)

      The pants have articulated knees and seat.

      ****EDIT: Check with Rhonda, if you care to do so. I think the verb /makes/ refers to "sections." That means you have a plural subject or an implied plural subject and a singular verb. Consider /make/. Aww, geez! You used the "YOU" word! How about "It is plain to see," or "Clearly visible are four V-shaped sections of fabric...

      "You can see where four v sections of fabric are removed at each knee which makes the pants bend naturally toward the rear."

      (SNIP)

      Field Testing Locations and Conditions
      During the past few months I have worn the Fall Line Pants on a 3-
      day hike as well as several more overnight hikes, both here in
      Northeast Alabama and Southern Tennessee.

      ****EDIT: Here is one of those things spelling programs often miss. You probably meant from, not form.

      "While hiking I have been rained on a few times and the temperatures have ranged form around 70 F (21 C) to a cool 17 F (-8 C)."

      ****EDIT: Again with the spelling program flaws! Try descents instead of dissents. I disagree with a lot of PUDs (Pointless Ups and Downs), BUT...

      "Trail conditions have varied to fairly mild to pretty wild (rocks moving underfoot, steep dissents,"

      ****Edit: I *think* fairly tight should be "fairly tightly."

      "I was a bit surprised that the front of my thighs where the pants fit fairly tight did not get cold."

      ****Edit: The last part of this sentence seems a bit awkward. You could split it off so that it is a separate sentence. How do you like this? ...warm. Luckily (or Fortunately), the Fall Line pants proved to be plenty warm (adequate, more than adequate, up to the job, etc.).

      "I did not bring any more clothing for my lower half and I was
      a worried that I might not have enough clothes to keep my legs warm
      but the Fall Line pants proved to be plenty warm."

      (SNIP)

      EDIT: Spelling program issue, again. "Accent" should be ascent.

      "For the first 5 miles (8 km) I was fine but when we started the
      accent out of the Gulf I felt like I was going to melt."

      (SNIP)

      ****EDIT: You spell the washing agent "Woolight" here and "Woolite" later. I think this first one is incorrect and the second is the trade name spelling.

      Ease of Care
      "I had no trouble washing or drying the pants. I usually washed them
      inside out in warm water along with some other wool garments using
      Woolight detergent and always hung them out to dry."

      (SNIP)

      After seeing this, I decided to wash them a second time with the
      outside of the pants facing out and in regular detergent instead of
      Woolite.

      (SNIP)

      ****EDIT: Good old spelling check limits. I think you need "...winter last" to read "winter lasts."

      "Continued Testing.
      I will continue using the Fall Line pants as my primary hiking pants
      for as long as winter last."

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
        Thanks Rosaleen, all edits were spot on. BTW I hope you don't mind
        that I added a bit of your advice. Here it is.

        I should mention that the water around here is considered hard and
        I do not have a home water softener system installed. A friend
        suggested that I might try putting some white vinegar on the
        offending stains before washing to get out the limestone stains.
        If I get them stained this bad again I will give it a try.

        The only problem is, now I feel compelled to get them stained
        again. Oh well, if it helps someone else later on down the line, it
        might be worth it. Thanks for the tip!

        FWIW I found a couple of more mistakes, mostly where I left off a
        couple of metric conversions but one "of" that should have
        been "off" and another one (I forget what it was now).

        The report is uploaded and the test version deleted.

        Coy Boy

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Rosaleen Sullivan"
        <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

        > Oh, and a note from "Mom:" See if white vinegar sponged across
        those pesky limestone marks cleans them up before the pants are
        tossed into the wash. The mild acetic acid should dissolve the
        calcium carbonate (limestone). If your tap water is like the stuff
        in Huntsville, it is loaded with dissolved limestone unless you have
        a water softener installed. It makes it tougher to wash limestone
        out without something to dissolve it.

        > Cheers!

        > Rosaleen
      • Rosaleen Sullivan
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
          Coy Boy-

          Thanks! I'm pleased with your follow through and that you are checking up on me. I definitely am NOT "at the top of my game."

          Cheers!

          Rosaleen