EDIT: FR Ibex Shak Hoody - Jennifer Williams

  • cmcrooker
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Field Report: Ibex Shak Hoody
      Jennifer Williams

      Hi Jennifer,
      A couple of edit suggestions follow enclosed between *** *** marks.
      Uploaded version looks good.
      Carol, Monitor

      On the backpacking trips I carried a 25 lb
      *** trip ***

      I really like having the extra sleeve coverage on my hands when I
      would take my mittens off to do various things.
      *** tense disagreement - how about removing "would" ***

      There is no visible pilling or snags even though it has come in
      contact with my shell's velcro many times.
      ***Velcro or "hook and loop" ***
    • Jennifer
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
        Thanks Carol. Here is the edited version and I have uploaded to the ibex folder.

        Field Report: Ibex Shak Hoody

        TESTER BIO
        Name: Jennifer Williams
        Age: 27
        Gender: Female
        Height: 5 ft 3 in (1.6 m)
        Weight: 120 lbs (56 kg)
        Bust: 34 in (86 cm)
        Waist: 27 in (69 cm)
        Hips: 36 in (91 cm)
        Sleeve: 30 in (76 cm)
        Email: jensmail78 (at) yahoo.com
        Sunnyvale, CA, USA
        Date: January 24, 2006

        Backpacking Background:

        I grew up horseback riding, skiing, camping, and hiking, but I just started backpacking
        about three years ago. All of my trips have been one or two night stays. My trips normally
        range from coastal trails in the redwoods to mountainous terrain in the Sierra Nevada. I
        tend to hike where I encounter rain and dampness. This year I am looking forward to
        making some longer trips in northern California and gaining more experience. I am not a
        lightweight backpacker yet, but would like to reduce my current pack weight significantly.

        PRODUCT INFORMATION

        Manufacturer: Ibex Outdoor Clothing LLC
        Year of manufacture: 2005
        Listed weight: 15.2 oz (431 g)
        Weight as delivered: 14 oz (400 g)
        Size: women's small
        Color: Black
        Material: 100% New Zealand Merino Dense Knit Wool
        MSRP: $140 (US)

        Product Description:

        The Shak Hoody is a wool, mid-weight layer with a fitted hood, partial zip front, and
        thumb holes in the sleeves. See my Initial Report for a detailed description.

        FIELD INFORMATION

        Central and Northern California Coasts:
        During the first phase of testing I went on an overnight backpacking trip in Castle Rock
        State Park and two day hikes in state parks and along the same redwood range. The trails
        ranged in elevations from sea level to 6000 ft (sea level to 1800 m). Daytime temperatures
        were around 65 F (18 C) and evening temperatures on the backpacking trip were around
        30 F (-1 C). On the backpacking trip I carried a 25 lb (11 kg) pack. On all three outings I
        used the Shak Hoody as my outer layer, over a silk-weight base layer. The weather was
        sunny and calm with only a bit of fog in the early mornings. I did not end up sleeping in
        the hoody as I was not particularly cold in my sleeping bag.

        Wasatch Range, Northern Utah:
        Since the snow was scarce around Lake Tahoe during this testing phase, I used the Shak
        hoody while snowboarding in the Wasatch Range near Salt Lake City, Utah. The Wasatch
        Range varies between 7000 and 11,000 ft (2100 and 3300 m). Temperatures were around
        30 F (-1 C) on the first two days and 22 F (-6 C) on the third day. I wore the Shak Hoody
        as a mid-layer over a silk camisole and under a waterproof outer shell. I did not use my
        typical day pack or my helmet.

        FIELD TEST:

        The Shak Hoody performed well on all of my hiking and backpacking trips. The weather
        was unusually dry and warm for this time of year, so I was unable to test it in much fog or
        rain. While hiking the hoody felt warm without being too hot. When I would work up a
        sweat, it breathed enough to keep me from overheating. Being able to partially unzip the
        front was a big help with that. When I did work up a sweat the hoody dried pretty quickly
        and did not feel that wet next to my skin. It seems to block some of the wind when worn
        as an outer layer, but certainly not all of it. This was not a big issue unless I had not been
        active in a while and was already on the cool side. The hoody was as warm as other mid-
        weight layers I have used and might be a bit warmer, but I am still undecided on this. I
        used the hood occasionally if I was not very active and it definitely helped conserve some
        heat, but I still feel that it is too shallow and does not cover enough of my forehead. I
        enjoyed having the thumb holes and extra long sleeves to keep my hands warm. I
        frequently took my thumbs in and out without difficulty depending on how warm I was. I
        was often able to pull my hands up into the sleeves to put my thumbs in the holes without
        using my other hand, but it definitely requires the opposing hand to remove them.

        While snowboarding, the Shak hoody was a warm mid-layer on the first two days. It fit well
        under my outer shell and kept my inner temperature well regulated while standing in lift
        lines after warming up on the slopes. On my third trip to the slopes the temperatures were
        colder and there was a lot of wind. I found myself feeling cold while on the lifts and
        standing in line. I did not bring a warmer base-layer on my trip to Utah, so I switched to
        an expedition weight mid-layer for the remainder of the trip. I think that if I had had a
        long sleeved base-layer instead of a camisole I would have been able to wear the Shak
        Hoody on some of the colder days. With just the camisole, my lower limit was about 25 F
        (-4 C). I used the thumb holes under my mittens and they kept my sleeves in place and
        were comfortable for my hands. It was easy to take my thumbs out of the thumb holes
        when I would take my mittens off to eat. I really like having the extra sleeve coverage on
        my hands when I take my mittens off to do various things. I did not use the hood because
        when I would put it on with my outer layer it felt like the hood was too short and the outer
        layer was pulling down on it. However, while I wasn't using it, the hood tucked away under
        my shell and I didn't notice any excess bulk. The only other restriction I noticed was that
        the zipper attachment is too small to grasp with mittens or gloves on. This made things a
        bit difficult when trying to regulate my temperature.

        SUMMARY:

        Overall, the Shak hoody is comfortable to wear. All of my base layers fit well underneath it
        and the hoody fits well under all of my various outer layers. With the exception of the
        hood being a little too short, the Shak Hoody fits very well. It is a little less stretchy than
        my synthetic mid-layers, but it is not restrictive either. The fabric still appears new after
        many washing and wearing cycles. There is no visible pilling or snags even though it has
        come in contact with my shell's Velcro many times. The hoody is easy to wash in the
        gentle cycle, but the intructions say to lay it flat to dry and I have found that it takes the
        hoody a long time to dry. I have a mesh drying rack for my sweaters that allows air to
        reach them from underneath, but despite this optimal setup, the Shak Hoody seems to
        take anywhere from a half day to two days to dry. This seems a bit long considering that it
        is inside my apartment in minimum temperatures of 65 F (18 C). Other than that, it is very
        easy to care for.

        Likes:
        *Extra coverage of sleeves and thumb holes
        *Half zipper to regulate heat

        Dislikes:
        *Hood is too short and too shallow
        *Zipper attachment is too small to grasp with gloves on
        *Long drying time after washing
      • cmcrooker
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2006
          Hi Jennifer,
          Once it's edited once, it can be uploaded when you're ready (no need
          for a second edit).
          Carol

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer" <jensmail78@...>