Re: EDIT: LTR - A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike (amytys)

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      No edits that I can see Andy. Good job, very thorough.
      BTW, Nice picture...you should have been holding the book or
      something. :)

      Upload when ready.

      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Mytys" <amytys@h...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > combating loneliness, fear of the dark, nightmares, and other
      > psychological issues (losing the will to hike). I was also less than
      > enthusiastic about the scant level of detail that was given to the
      > topic of lightweight backpacking, especially after seeing the
      > author's thorough work in discussing blisters, chafing, and knee
      > pain. Between the book's introduction, the chapter on losing the will
      > to hike, the chapter on lightweight backpacking, and a summary
      > chapter offering no new information, I found only about 45% of the
      > book to be of interest. That said, I did gain some value from that
      > 45%, as indicated at the beginning of this report.
      >
      > There's also the lack of overall perspective given in terms of the
      > field conditions that the author encountered. The book details
      > experiences from hiking a 200-mile (322 km) segment of the
      > Appalachian Trail in mid-May. It reflects the culmination of
      > experiences gained from hiking anywhere from weekend excursions to
      > that single, two week, 200-mile (322 km) hike. Overall, I got the
      > feeling that most of the lessons had their origins on the author's
      > 200-mile (322 km) hike, taken at a specific point in time and under
      > specific weather conditions, meaning that the author's own
      > experiences were limited. I found myself wishing the author had hiked
      > in mid-July instead of mid-May, hoping that after experiencing
      > intense heat and humidity, drought, and other, more serious
      > challenges, the book would have been directed more towards the sort
      > of concrete issues found in the first half of the book, with less
      > attention paid to psychological or philosophical matters.
      >
      > The author makes no promises that the book is anything more than a
      > description of his discoveries, his failures, and his ideas. In the
      > end, the book's best advice can be summed up by what the author
      > writes in his introduction:
      >
      > "If what I am doing in my hike is working, I keep doing it. If it is
      > not working, then I take on the responsibility to find a better way,
      > and then a better way after that."
      >
      > I found reading "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike" to be insightful
      > and thought provoking in many areas, and the book proved to be a bit
      > of an inspiration in making me analyze my own issues and in trying to
      > come up with solutions, rather than taking the attitude that any
      > problems encountered on the trail are simply "all part of a good
      > day's hike." The book has given me an excuse to, once again, re-
      > evaluate what I carry and try to lessen the weight in my pack.
      >
      > Finally, the author states that "if a reader of this book finds one
      > of my experiences useful, then I will rejoice." Well, the author can
      > rejoice in that I have found one, even many, of the experiences he
      > shared to be useful. At the same time, I would have liked to hear
      > more. I wish that the author had tried hiking that 200-miles (322 km)
      > across at least a few different seasons, just to give readers a set

    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        Andy and Chuck

        One edit I noted

        Readers who's feet have some hiking
        > experience should find themselves nodding along at the ailments that
        > the author chooses to focus on,

        Readers whose feet....

        Ted.
      • Chuck Carnes