Field Report - SD Hercules Assault AST Tent - Chuck Carnes

  • Chuck Carnes
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2006
      Finally!! Sorry Coy for the lateness. Here is the HTML
      version.

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR-SDHerculesTent-CCarnes/

      Sierra Designs
      Hercules Assault AST
      Tent
      FieldReport
      by Chuck Carnes
      Report Date: January 26, 2006
      BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
      Name: Chuck Carnes
      Age: 36
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft. 0 in (1.83 m)
      Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
      E-mail address: ctcarnes1(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Greenville, South Carolina USA
      BACKPACKING BACKGROUND
      I love the outdoors – I’ve spent time camping in the
      outdoors since I was born, and have been actively
      hiking and backpacking since then. I consider myself a
      lightweight hiker, usually carrying 20 – 30 pounds
      (11-13 kg) for hikes up to a week in length. I hike at
      an easy pace, averaging 2 mph (3 kph). I am a one-man
      tent camper for now. I like to carry a single trekking
      pole when I hike to help relieve stress to my legs and
      knees. I like to get out on the trail as often as I
      can.
      PRODUCT INFORMATION BY MANUFACTURER
      Manufacturer: Sierra Designs
      Model: Hercules Assault AST
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      Season: 4
      Person: 2
      Color: Yellow / Navy Blue
      Trail Weight: 6 lbs 10 oz (3.0 kg)
      Fastpack Weight: n/a
      Packed Weight: 7 lbs 2 oz (3.2 kg)
      Packed Size: 22 in x 7 in (56 x 17 cm)
      Number of Doors: 1
      Interior Area: 35 sq ft (3.2 sq m)
      Vestibule Area: 7 sq. ft. (0.6 sq m)
      Peak Height: 42 in (107 cm)
      Floor Type: SuperSeal
      Floor Material: 70D Taffeta Nylon, 3000mm
      Body Material: 40D Rip Stop Nylon, DriZone 2L
      Fly Material: 40D HT Rip Stop Nylon, 1500mm,
      PU/Silicon
      Number of Poles: 3
      Poles: DAC Press-Fit 7001
      MSRP: $549.95 US

      Features (taken from the web site):
      The Holy Grail of tents just got lighter and faster.
      All the great technology and superior strength of our
      high altitude tested Hercules AST, but with a
      lightweight single-wall construction. Includes a large
      vestibule made from our lightweight fly material and
      the new Air Flow Vent System preventing condensation.

      * Air Flow Vent System
      * Arch Support Technology
      * Clip-Locs
      * Color Coded Webbing
      * Computer Aided Design
      * DAC Featherlite Poles
      * Double Grommets
      * DriZone Laminated Fabric
      * Gear Pockets
      * Hercules' Jake's Corner
      * Locking Pole Tips
      * Reflective Guy-outs and Zipper pulls
      * Stash Door
      * SuperSeal Floor
      * Tent Guard with Ultra Fresh

      PRODUCT WEIGHTS AND DIMENSIONS OBTAINED BY TESTER
      Weights
      Tent Body (w/ Jakes Corner Poles)
      5 lb 4 oz (2.3 kg)
      Main Body Poles
      22.6 oz (641 g) for both sets
      Vestibule Poles
      2.0 oz (57 g)
      Stakes (6 stakes)
      3.0 oz (85 g) (0.5 oz (14 g) each)
      Total (not including stuff sacks):
      7 lb 0 oz (3.1 kg)
      Dimensions
      Tent (dimensions measured inside):
      Front to Back
      81.5 in (207 cm)
      Side to Side
      51.5 in (131 cm)
      Height in center
      42.0 in (107 cm)

      Main Body Poles (broken down)
      Length
      21.4 in (54 cm)
      Diameter
      0.5 in (1.2 cm)

      Vestibule Poles (broken down)
      Length
      14.0 in (35.5 cm)
      Diameter
      0.3 in (0.7 cm)

      Packed size 22 in x 7 in (56 x 17 cm)
      FIELD REPORT
      The Hercules Assault AST Tent is a single wall, four
      season tent that is very spacious and practically bomb
      proof. The ventilation opptions are plentifull for a
      four season tent. The tent comes equipped with a
      system called the Hercules Jake's Corner that creates
      a very sturdy skeletal pole system. For more
      information on my inital thoughts, see my Initial
      Report.

      The first trip I took was a two-night stay to a small
      area in Clayton, Georgia. It has a few trails and a
      few campsites but is only known by the locals. I am
      not a local but I know someone who is and he showed me
      some of his favorite spots. The weather was great for
      this time of year. The temperature was 75 F (24 C)
      during the day and 47 F (8 C) at night. There was no
      precipitation on this trip so I didn't get to
      experience any rainy conditions. I had to pack the
      tent into my pack in the vertical position because of
      the Jake's Corner poles. The packed dimension is 22 in
      (56 cm) wide and this is just to wide to fit
      horizontal in my pack. It wasn't that big of a deal, I
      was able to pack other things around it. After getting
      to the camp site I errected the tent a lot easier and
      in less time than I did the initial time. I opened all
      of the vents to get some air flowwing through the tent
      since the temperature was not very low that night. The
      next morning there was light dew on the outside of the
      tent but no condensation on the inside. That night
      and the following morning were about the same. I hung
      the tent along a laundry line to dry from the dew
      being on the outside of the tent. It only took a few
      minutes for the tent to dry and I was able to pack it
      up.

      My second trip was a two-night stay at Jones Gap near
      Caesars Head in South Carolina. The weather was a
      little bit colder than my first trip. The temperature
      was 62 F (16 C) during the day and 39 F (4 C) at
      night. On this trip, again, I did not experience any
      precipitation but I did experience some frost on the
      tent on the last morning which was a little unusual
      since I only recorded the lowest temp at 39 F (4 C)
      that night. I recorded that temperature at 12:30 a.m.
      so the temperature had to have dropped a bit later
      that night. When I tapped on the fabric above me that
      morning it was certainly stiffer than normal. Again,
      there was no condensation on the inside of the tent. I
      left the tent up for a little while while the sun
      melted the frost off so I could hang it to dry.

      Overall, I am very happy with the design and
      construction of the tent. I am able to get in and out
      of it easily. So far, I have been the only one
      sleeping in the tent so I am able to place my pack
      beside me instead of the vestibule; which I still
      think is to small to fit a large sized pack in. The
      gear pockets come in handy at night to keep all of my
      belongings right above me. They are big enough to hold
      a book, personal items, a headlamp and even my shoes
      and socks if I need to dry them. I have found the
      zipper to stick right around the window area of the
      vestibule. Sometimes the strom flap will get in the
      way of the zipper.

      FINDINGS AND FUTHER TEST PLANNING

      Some of the questions that I had prior to testing the
      tent I have been able to answer during my field
      testing.

      Set up:

      * How quick can I set the tent up in case of a
      heavy rain or harsh conditions? I have gotten quicker
      at the set up time but I have not experienced rain or
      harsh conditions up to this point.
      * Is it easy for one person to set up this tent in
      these conditions? I havn't tried it in harsh
      conditions but it is easy for one person to set it up.
      * Are the poles easy and quick to assemble? Yes.
      * Are the guy wires quick and easy to attach to
      the tent fly or are they already connected? They are
      already connected and is easy to guy out.
      * How durable will the stakes be? At this point,
      they are still holding up well.
      * Are the stakes strong enough to hold the tent in
      place during heavy winds? At this point I have not
      experienced heavy winds.
      * How easy is it to unpack and pack back up? Very
      easy. The Jake's Corner poles are attached to the tent
      by way of web straps so that makes it easy to unroll
      the tent, put the Jake's Corners in place, place the
      tent poles in the respective holes and snap the tent
      body to the poles.

      The Tent:

      * For the floor area to be 35 sq. ft. (3.2 sq m),
      it seems to be plenty big for me and my gear. Is it
      big enough for me to stretch out and still not touch
      the sides of the tent? Yes, the sides of the tent are
      some what vertical so that gives a lot more room at
      the sides of the tent.
      * Is the door easy to get in and out of? Yes.
      * How well does the Air Flow Vent System keep air
      flowing through the tent? In the mild conditions that
      I have been in so far, the vent system works very
      well.
      * Is the single wall construction strong enough to
      prevent punctures or tears? At this point I have not
      experienced any punctures or tears.
      * How well does the tent floor repel wet ground
      water or sweating? At this point I have not
      experienced any ground water in or on the tent.
      * How durable is the tent floor? I always try to
      place the tent over soft ground cover or a place with
      no rocks or sticks. The tent floor is holding up well.
      * Does this tent come with a foot print? No.
      * Will the web straps at the tent stakes soak up
      enough water to make the tent walls wet? At this
      point, I have not experienced any precipitation during
      my testing.
      * The weight seems to be pretty good for a two
      person, four season tent. How well does it pack into,
      or on the outside of, my backpack? As I mentioned
      before, I have to pack it verticaly inside my pack.
      * How fast does the tent dry after being in the
      rain? I have not experienced any rain but it drys very
      quickly from dew being on the tent; just by hanging it
      up to dry.
      * How waterproof is it under harsh thunderstorm
      conditions? I have not experinced harsh thunderstorm
      conditions up to this point.
      * Will the window in the vestibule get scratched
      easily and will it get to a point of not being able to
      see out of it? So far, it is still scratch free.
      * What type of material is the window? A
      vinyl/plastic material.
      * To what extent can I open the window to get
      ventilation but still be protected from rainwater
      entering through it? The top of the vestibule, above
      the window, can be opened for ventilation.
      * Does my sleeping bag touch the front and back of
      the tent? Yes, the foot box of the bag does touch the
      tent slightly but I have not experienced the bag
      getting wet from the dew.

      LIKES AND DISLIKES (so far)
      Likes:

      * The design and construction of the tent
      * The gear pockets
      * The quality of the poles and tent material
      * The door storage pockets
      * A portion of the side walls are almost vertical
      for extra room

      Dislikes:

      * Small vestibule area

      Thank you Sierra Designs and BGT for giving me this
      opportunity to test this tent.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • David Sowards-Emmerd
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2006
        Chuck, great report, too bad about the lack of weather (hurricane
        season is over, right? or is there still hope for extreme testing?)

        One thing I was curious about was the following:

        > * Are the guy wires quick and easy to attach to
        > the tent fly or are they already connected? They are
        > already connected and is easy to guy out.

        so far as I know, there are not external guy wire attachment points
        other than tying off directly to the poles, either at the crossing, or
        at a clip (or you can purchase the SD snap-on guy wire points, which
        I'm interested in, but worried about the damage they'd do to the tent
        fabric). There are internal guy wire loops, but the tent didn't come
        with enough guylines for that (only 2 of the 4 needed) and they
        weren't attached. I'm guessing you meant the connection of the jakes
        corner to the tent (the 'triangle of webbing' to stake out, that
        connects the tent to the stake loop to the jakes corner pole), but
        that's not the way I read the above. Also, I'm not sure on the
        definitions, but according to what I'm used to, this tent doen't have
        a fly, since it's a single wall (I usually think of a fly being a
        second, tarp-like cover that goes over the inner tent), I've been
        referring to the wall as the 'tent body', but not sure that's correct
        either, curious to hear other people chime in on this. Nice to see SD
        updated the height on their website, but I think they also updated the
        schematic drawing, which now claims 41" instead of the 42" listed in
        the text on their page (better than the 30 or 32" they originally
        had...)

        Cheers, David
      • Chuck Carnes
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2006
          Yes, there is hope. I did experience some ice a couple weeks back but
          I am saving that for the LTR. I still have a couple of chances at some
          coming up.

          Yea, I meant to word that differently. The interior guy outs was what
          I was refering too and really I miss read the question. I will re-word
          it so that it makes it clear that the loops for the guy outs are there
          and guy lines can initially be attached for extreme use. Thanks for
          the extra eyes.

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, David Sowards-Emmerd
          <davese@g...> wrote:

          > Chuck, great report, too bad about the lack of weather (hurricane
          > season is over, right? or is there still hope for extreme testing?)
          >
          > One thing I was curious about was the following:
          >
          > > * Are the guy wires quick and easy to attach to
          > > the tent fly or are they already connected? They are
          > > already connected and is easy to guy out.
          >
          > so far as I know, there are not external guy wire attachment points
          > other than tying off directly to the poles, either at the crossing, or
          > at a clip (or you can purchase the SD snap-on guy wire points, which
          > I'm interested in, but worried about the damage they'd do to the tent
          > fabric). There are internal guy wire loops, but the tent didn't come
          > with enough guylines for that (only 2 of the 4 needed) and they
          > weren't attached. I'm guessing you meant the connection of the jakes
          > corner to the tent (the 'triangle of webbing' to stake out, that
          > connects the tent to the stake loop to the jakes corner pole), but
          > that's not the way I read the above. Also, I'm not sure on the
          > definitions, but according to what I'm used to, this tent doen't have
          > a fly, since it's a single wall (I usually think of a fly being a
          > second, tarp-like cover that goes over the inner tent), I've been
          > referring to the wall as the 'tent body', but not sure that's correct
          > either, curious to hear other people chime in on this. Nice to see SD
          > updated the height on their website, but I think they also updated the
          > schematic drawing, which now claims 41" instead of the 42" listed in
          > the text on their page (better than the 30 or 32" they originally
          > had...)
          >
          > Cheers, David

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Carnes
            <ctcarnes1@...> wrote:

            > Finally!! Sorry Coy for the lateness. Here is the HTML
            > version.

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR-SDHerculesTent-CCarnes/

            > Sierra Designs
            > Hercules Assault AST
            > Tent
            > FieldReport
            > by Chuck Carnes
            > Report Date: January 26, 2006

            The ventilation opptions are plentifull for a
            > four season tent.

            Edits: make that options are plentiful

> [...]
            > vinyl/plastic material.
            > * To what extent can I open the window to get
            > ventilation but still be protected from rainwater
            > entering through it? The top of the vestibule, above
            > the window, can be opened for ventilation.
            > * Does my sleeping bag touch the front and back of
            > the tent? Yes, the foot box of the bag does touch the
            > tent slightly but I have not experienced the bag
            > getting wet from the dew.
            >

            > LIKES AND DISLIKES (so far)
            > Likes:
            >
            > * The design and construction of the tent
            > * The gear pockets
            > * The quality of the poles and tent material
            > * The door storage pockets
            > * A portion of the side walls are almost vertical
            > for extra room
            >
            > Dislikes:
            >
            > * Small vestibule area
            >
            > Thank you Sierra Designs and BGT for giving me this

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
              <ctcarnes1@...> wrote:

              > Finally!! Sorry Coy for the lateness. Here is the HTML
              > version.

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR-SDHerculesTent-CCarnes/

              > Sierra Designs
              > Hercules Assault AST
              > Tent
              > FieldReport
              > by Chuck Carnes

              The ventilation opptions are plentifull for a
              > four season tent.

              Edits: make that options are plentiful

              For more information on my inital thoughts, see my Initial
              > Report.

              Edit: make inital initial

              After getting to the camp site I errected the tent a lot easier and
              > in less time than I did the initial time.

              Edit:

              I opened all of the vents to get some air flowwing through the tent
              > since the temperature was not very low that night.

              Edit: make flowwing flowing

              The next morning there was light dew on the outside of the
              > tent but no condensation on the inside. That night
              > and the following morning were about the same.

              Edit: there is a skip between that night in the second sentence.
              But...As I read theis this is the second night. It would be clearer
              if you said. The following night and su morning

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
                Field Report - SD Hercules Assault AST Tent - Chuck Carnes
                Edit by Coy Starnes

                Hi Chuck, thanks for hanging in there and getting this in. I can't
                help with the lack of severe weather:'). Below I have a few edits for
                you to consider.

                PS Disreguard the previous replies I inadvertantly sent.

                <ctcarnes1@...> wrote:

                > Finally!! Sorry Coy for the lateness. Here is the HTML
                > version.

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/FR-SDHerculesTent-CCarnes/

                > Sierra Designs
                > Hercules Assault AST
                > Tent
                > FieldReport
                > by Chuck Carnes

                The ventilation opptions are plentifull for a
                > four season tent.

                Edits: make that options are plentiful

                For more information on my inital thoughts, see my Initial
                > Report.

                Edit: make inital initial

                After getting to the camp site I errected the tent a lot easier and
                > in less time than I did the initial time.

                Edit:

                I opened all of the vents to get some air flowwing through the tent
                > since the temperature was not very low that night.

                Edit: make flowwing flowing

                The next morning there was light dew on the outside of the
                > tent but no condensation on the inside. That night
                > and the following morning were about the same.

                Edit: there is a skip between That night in the second sentence.
                But...As I read this this is the second night. It would be clearer
                if you said. The second night and subsequent morning were about the same.

                I left the tent up for a little while while the sun
                > melted the frost off so I could hang it to dry.

                Edit: needs a cooma or something after while or better yet reworded.
                You could say for a little while, whilst (our overseas testers will
                know what you mean)

                Sometimes the strom flap will get in the way of the zipper.

                Edit: make strom storm

                > I havn't tried it in harsh

                Edit: make havn't haven't

                As I mentioned before, I have to pack it verticaly inside my pack.

                Edit: make verticaly vertically

                I have not experienced any rain but it drys very quickly from dew
                being on the tent; just by hanging it up to dry.

                Edit: make drys dries

                I have not experinced harsh thunderstorm
                > conditions up to this point.

                Edit: make experinced experienced

                Thats all I see. Don't forget the one David (Thanks David!)
                mentioned. I would have missed it not being fimilar with the tent.
                Upload to the proper folder when satisfied with fixes.

                Coy Boy
              • Chuck Carnes
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2006
                  Thanks Coy! I'll git 'er dun and git 'er uploaded.

                  http://mail.yahoo.com