Re: PC crashes -Personal Uploads on hold - Gail

  • Andy Mytys
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2006
      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin"
      <r.caffin@a...> wrote:

      > > I had to use many different programs to get my files back when my
      HDD
      > > crashed, including Ted's software, and I leared a LOT!
      >
      > What WAS on your HDD that caused you to lear so much?
      >
      > Cheers
      > Roger Caffin

      3+ years and no backup worth of stuff :)
    • Andy Mytys
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 31, 2006
        Oh, now I understand the question. No, basically Ted's software only
        took me so far, and I wanted to get ALL the data back, so I had to
        try multiple routes, get around windows security, fix Outlook mail
        files, etc. I spent a few weeks getting all my data back, and picked
        up a lot of tricks over that time.

        A friend of mine had a Dell that crashed recently. I tried going the
        SpinRite route, but that software got scuck in a 4-day scan of one
        sector, near the beginning of the process.

        In the meantime, Dell sent out a replacement HDD, pre-loaded with the
        factory SW, and when we plugged it in, with the bad HDD as the slave,
        Windows said "oh, I see a bad HDD, would you like me to attempt to
        repair/access it." Almost immediately, all the user files were
        accessable and quickly copied to the new master.

        Strange how a low-tech canned solution worked when a high-end
        recovery couldn't. In the end, there's no magic bullet for these HDD
        crash issues outside of frequent backups.

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Ditton"
        <rdassetts@o...> wrote:

        > Roger
        > I think it was on Ted,s software that Andy leared a lot. He knows
        what's on
        > his. If that is the case, Ted, shame on you. <g>
        > Ralph

        Caffin