Field Report, GSI Hard Anodized Cookset - Arron Robinson

  • Arron Robinson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2006
      Field Report, GSI Hard Anodized Cookset - Arron Robinson

      HTML version is available at:

      http://tinyurl.com/dg7up

      Field Report - GSI Hard Anodized 5 piece cook set
      Reviewer Info:

      Name: Arron Robinson-- full cookset --
      Age: 34
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 9.5" (1.77 m)
      Weight: 230 lb (104.3 kg)
      Email address: mouserar-at-gmail-dot-com
      City, State, Country: Dallas, Georgia, USA
      Date: 25 January 2006

      Backpacking Background: Camping and hiking since 11, I've been in a
      constant search for the perfect balance between usability, durability
      and weight. These days my camping is generally a mix of Boy Scout
      style crew camping, kayak or canoe camping or light to mid weight
      hiking. I generally carry 20-25 lb (9-11.3 kg) and sleep in a hammock
      system.

      Product information:
      Manufacturer: GSI Outdoor Products
      Published Specifications: Measured Specifications:
      Weight - Total (packed) 1 lb 9.1 oz (711g) 1 lb 11 oz (777 g)
      Weight - 1 quart pot: Not available 5 5/8 oz (160 g)
      Weight - 1 quart lid: Not available 4 1/4 oz (120 g)
      Capacity - 1 Quart Pot 32 oz (900 ml) 32 fl oz (900 ml)
      Weight - 1.5 quart pot: Not available 7 3/4 oz (219 g)
      Weight - 1.5 quart lid: Not available 5 1/4 oz (149 g)
      Capacity - 1.5 Quart Pot 48 fl oz (1350 ml) 56 fl oz (1675 ml)
      Packed Size: Not available 8.25 in x 4.75 in (21 cm x 12 cm)
      MSRP: 59.95 USD

      Product Description:

      The GSI Hard Anodized 5 piece cook set is an aluminum cook set
      consisting of a 1 quart pot with matching lid/fry pan and a 1.5 quart
      pot and matching lid/fry pan. Included along with these is a
      DiamondBack clamping handle, a mesh bag and a strap to hold the set
      together. The pots nest within each other and close securely with the
      assistance of a strap. The set includes the DiamondBack handle which
      allows for the pots to be stored without fighting with handles or
      bales getting in the way.

      Field Conditions:

      I've used the GSI Cookset on two outings as well as a few meals at
      home. The first trip was 4 days in conditions of 70 F (21 C) dropping
      to 40 F (4 C) overnight with no rainfall. During this trip meals were
      boil-and-eat types, including noodle dishes with pouched chicken and
      dehydrated veggies as additives.

      The second trip was in mid December with highs in the 50 F (10 C)
      range and lows the first night dropping to 15 F(-10 C) and the second
      to 28 F (-2 C). This trip was a car camping trip and cooking was a bit
      more involved, as there was little in the way of time constraints.
      Sausage and egg burritos for breakfast and the like were standard.

      Field Information:

      I have been pretty impressed with the cookset thus far. Using just the
      small pot, I have replaced my greasepot in my backpack. One side
      benefit of this is that the GSI pot has rounded corners, which means
      that as my gear shifts, I don't end up with a corner wedging its way
      into my spine while going down the trail. I have found that food is
      less likely to scorch in the middle of the pot than with pots of
      thinner material, which has been a bonus.

      I must say that when used as a set, the Hard Anodized Cookset gives a
      lot of latitude in a base camp situation. two small pans and two pots
      have made cooking a lot easier, with less shuffling of items before
      serving. During the last trip, temperatures dove, and the stoves I'd
      brought were having difficulty generating enough heat to stay burning.
      In desperation, and expecting the pots to warp, I created a spot in
      the campfire to set the pots, which allowed for the bacon and eggs to
      be served as opposed to breakfast bars, much to my companions' joy. In
      the end, I wiped off the soot and was happy to see that the pots were
      no worse for the wear.

      Test Notes:

      I have used the cookset for over 2 months now, and I can report on the
      following questions that I'd hoped to address at the beginning of the
      test:

      1. Adaptability:
      * The set seems to be fairly versatile. While I do mainly
      cook boil and eat meals, I will, occasionally shake things up a bit.
      Will the cookset have a large enough capacity for my style of cooking?
      Easily. The cookset had room to spare for one and two person
      boil-and-eat meals, and when used together, they allow for a full base
      camp style menu.
      * Can the lid stand in adequately for small frying projects
      like sautéing onions and the like? That has been the case for many
      meals. I have done some wonderful things with apples and brown
      sugar...
      * Does my alcohol stove fit inside of the unit? If so, this
      will be a nice compact system. With the coating concerns, I have been
      putting my stove and accessories into a stuffsack an nesting that into
      the pot. It has worked out pretty well.
      2. Durability:
      * I like anodized aluminum for one reason; it is strong. It
      is typically hard to dent and scratch. Does the Cookset have the same
      properties as a home pot of the same material? The aluminum itself has
      been really durable. The coating as well, for the most part.
      * Will it survive rough handling? So far so good...
      3. Overall Design:
      * This looks like a simple, well designed product. Does the
      whole unit fit together nicely or is the fit sloppy and noisy? I nest
      the unit together with paper towels sandwiched between, and so this
      buffers any noise that may be happening. I have not had any
      complaints.
      * Is it well manufactured? All rivets are holding up well,
      and there are no apparent thick or thin spots.
      4. Heat Transfer:
      * How does cooking time compare to my old greasepot, or any
      of the stainless cookware I have camped with? So far, cooking times
      are not markedly different than with my other systems. I will try to
      get hard numbers for the next report.

      Impressions After Field Testing:

      The GSI Hard Anodized 5 Piece Cookset has held up to not only various
      stove use, but also use over open campfire without adverse effect. No
      warping or damage from the high heat was found, and the cookset cooked
      evenly, without hotspots, regardless of the heat source.

      Aside from a bit of the nonstick coating scraping loose across the top
      edge of the smaller cookpot, these pots and pans have held up very
      well.

      Excitement:

      1. The set packs well
      2. It is lightweight
      3. Seems to be pretty tough

      Concerns:

      1. The nonstick coating seems to be scraping off of the edge of one
      pot, possibly due to friction while hauling it.

      Thanks to Backpackgeartest.org and GSI Outdoor Products for the
      opportunity to share my experiences!

      --
      ------
      Arron Robinson --- mouserar@... --- aim:mouserar