Question for Leatherman Testers

  • David
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
      I was at a well stocked knife shop yesterday and after talking to the
      knife guy for a while, he mentioned he had just gotten in a shipment
      of leathermans knives that he was unhappy with and was sending
      straight back to the mfg. The problem was lots of play in the blade
      when it was open and locked - the blade could easily be shifted side
      to size by probably a centimeter or more. additionally, the blade
      (when locked) was also loose in the open-close direction, which I
      thought was pretty unusual for a locking knife (shouldn't be ANY,
      really shouldn't be any in the side to side direction either).
      Curious whether this shipment was an anomoly, or whether any of the
      testers noticed this in the knives they received - I didn't see
      anything like this in skimming the initial reports. If it is a common
      problem, hopefully Leatherman'll fix it - otherwise it looks like a
      great knife and has some nice features. Thanks, David
    • J Cornelius
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
        As a prior Leatherman tester (Charge Ti) I can say that there was NO
        play in my knife blade whatsoever. And I still use it on an almost
        daily basis with no hint of play yet

        Jodi

        On 1/24/06, David <davese@...> wrote:
        > I was at a well stocked knife shop yesterday and after talking to the
        > knife guy for a while, he mentioned he had just gotten in a shipment
        > of leathermans knives that he was unhappy with and was sending
        > straight back to the mfg. The problem was lots of play in the blade
        > when it was open and locked - the blade could easily be shifted side
        > to size by probably a centimeter or more. additionally, the blade
        > (when locked) was also loose in the open-close direction, which I
        > thought was pretty unusual for a locking knife (shouldn't be ANY,
        > really shouldn't be any in the side to side direction either).
        > Curious whether this shipment was an anomoly, or whether any of the
        > testers noticed this in the knives they received - I didn't see
        > anything like this in skimming the initial reports. If it is a common
        > problem, hopefully Leatherman'll fix it - otherwise it looks like a
        > great knife and has some nice features. Thanks, David
      • David Sowards-Emmerd
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
          Jodi, yup, I've got a charge Ti (bought it a week or so before the
          test call went out for it), original super, and a micra, and the two
          that lock don't have this problem (well, a tiny bit of play in the
          154cm blade on the charge, but none in the open/close direction). it
          seems this is just a problem with the new knives (the multitools are
          still rock solid)- or that's the hypothesis anyways. I'd still carry
          my charge Ti daily, but I'm testing a benchmade...

          David

          On 1/24/06, J Cornelius <bpskidsster@...> wrote:
          > As a prior Leatherman tester (Charge Ti) I can say that there was NO
          > play in my knife blade whatsoever. And I still use it on an almost
          > daily basis with no hint of play yet
          >
          > Jodi
          >
          > On 1/24/06, David <davese@...> wrote:
          > > I was at a well stocked knife shop yesterday and after talking to the
          > > knife guy for a while, he mentioned he had just gotten in a shipment
          > > of leathermans knives that he was unhappy with and was sending
          > > straight back to the mfg. The problem was lots of play in the blade
          > > when it was open and locked - the blade could easily be shifted side
          > > to size by probably a centimeter or more. additionally, the blade
          > > (when locked) was also loose in the open-close direction, which I
          > > thought was pretty unusual for a locking knife (shouldn't be ANY,
          > > really shouldn't be any in the side to side direction either).
          > > Curious whether this shipment was an anomoly, or whether any of the
          > > testers noticed this in the knives they received - I didn't see
          > > anything like this in skimming the initial reports. If it is a common
          > > problem, hopefully Leatherman'll fix it - otherwise it looks like a
          > > great knife and has some nice features. Thanks, David
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • bigdawgryan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davese@g...> wrote:

            > ....Curious whether this shipment was an anomoly, or whether any of
            > the testers noticed this in the knives they received - I didn't see
            > anything like this in skimming the initial reports. If it is a common
            > problem, hopefully Leatherman'll fix it - otherwise it looks like a
            > great knife and has some nice features. Thanks, David

            Dave, et al:

            I have noticed no such problems with the e307x that I received and am
            testing.

            Regards, Ryan Christensen
          • ratintraining
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
              I am testing the Leatheman e307x and it has absolutly no play in the
              blade side to side or towards the locking mechanism. Hopefully they
              just had a bad batch that he got.

              wrote:

              > I was at a well stocked knife shop yesterday and after talking to
              the
              > knife guy for a while, he mentioned he had just gotten in a
              shipment
              > of leathermans knives that he was unhappy with and was sending
              > straight back to the mfg. The problem was lots of play in the
              blade
              > when it was open and locked - the blade could easily be shifted
              side
              > to size by probably a centimeter or more. additionally, the blade
              > (when locked) was also loose in the open-close direction, which I
              > thought was pretty unusual for a locking knife (shouldn't be ANY,
              > really shouldn't be any in the side to side direction either).
              > Curious whether this shipment was an anomoly, or whether any of the
              > testers noticed this in the knives they received - I didn't see
              > anything like this in skimming the initial reports. If it is a
              common
              > problem, hopefully Leatherman'll fix it - otherwise it looks like a
              > great knife and has some nice features. Thanks, David

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
                David, what model are we talking here. Like Jodie, my Charge Ti tested here is rock solid.
                My 20 year old model is still pretty sound all considered. It is showing some age but so
                am I! LOL

                Coy boy

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 24, 2006
                  Thanks everyone for the responses, sounds to me like it was just a bad
                  batch at the local store (of the knives, not the multi-tools).
                  Cheers, David

                  On 1/24/06, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                  > David, what model are we talking here. Like Jodie, my Charge Ti tested here is rock solid.
                  > My 20 year old model is still pretty sound all considered. It is showing some age but so
                  > am I! LOL
                  >
                  > Coy boy
                  >
                  > --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davese@g...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I was at a well stocked knife shop yesterday and after talking to the
                  > > knife guy for a while, he mentioned he had just gotten in a shipment
                  > > of leathermans knives that he was unhappy with and was sending
                  > > straight back to the mfg. The problem was lots of play in the blade
                  > > when it was open and locked - the blade could easily be shifted side
                  > > to size by probably a centimeter or more. additionally, the blade
                  > > (when locked) was also loose in the open-close direction, which I
                  > > thought was pretty unusual for a locking knife (shouldn't be ANY,
                  > > really shouldn't be any in the side to side direction either).
                  > > Curious whether this shipment was an anomoly, or whether any of the
                  > > testers noticed this in the knives they received - I didn't see
                  > > anything like this in skimming the initial reports. If it is a common
                  > > problem, hopefully Leatherman'll fix it - otherwise it looks like a
                  > > great knife and has some nice features. Thanks, David
                  > >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • CLD
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 25, 2006
                    --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davese@g...> wrote:

                    > I was at a well stocked knife shop yesterday and after talking to the
                    > knife guy for a while, he mentioned he had just gotten in a shipment
                    > of leathermans knives that he was unhappy with and was sending
                    > straight back to the mfg. The problem was lots of play in the blade
                    > when it was open and locked - the blade could easily be shifted side
                    > to size by probably a centimeter or more. additionally, the blade
                    > (when locked) was also loose in the open-close direction, which I
                    > thought was pretty unusual for a locking knife (shouldn't be ANY,
                    > really shouldn't be any in the side to side direction either).
                    > Curious whether this shipment was an anomoly, or whether any of the
                    > testers noticed this in the knives they received - I didn't see
                    > anything like this in skimming the initial reports. If it is a common
                    > problem, hopefully Leatherman'll fix it - otherwise it looks like a
                    > great knife and has some nice features. Thanks, David

                    The knife I'm testing has no noticeable play in the blade when opened
                    and locked. I'm thinking it was definitely a bad lot.

                    -- Chari