REVISED: APPLICATION to test: Imlay Canyon Gear Canyon Knife

  • Emma Eyeball
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
      ahhh, what a ninny i can be. here is my corrected and revised
      application to test the Imlay Canyon Gear Canyon Knife. I have read
      the BGT survival guide v. 1202 and agree to comply with the
      requirements stated in Chapter 5. My Tester Agreement is currently on
      file. Thank you for considering my application.

      Name: Colleen Porter
      Age: 30
      Gender: F
      Height: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      Weight: 153 lb (64 kg)
      Email address: tarbubble at yahoo dot com
      City, State: Irvine, CA
      Date: 04/01/05

      Backpacking Background: I went on my first backpacking trip at age
      16. It was a disaster, so I stuck to day hikes until I was 20, when
      my husband got me back into backpacking. He created a bit of a
      monster. Having children forced us to go ultralight, and now on my
      own my 3-season base weight hovers around 13 pounds. I love to hike
      in sandals, I'm irrationally afraid of snow, I make some of my own
      equipment, I always pack too much food, and I like gear to be light,
      simple, and uncomplicated - silnylon, goose down, alcohol stoves, ¾
      length sleeping pads... My typical haunts are the mountains of
      southern California, the Sierra Nevada, Grand Canyon, Mojave and
      Colorado deserts. We hope to spend a month on the PCT in 2007, with
      the kids along of course.

      Field Conditions: If selected to test the Canyon Knife, I will be
      using it throughout southern California and hopefully in northwestern
      Montana. I'll be visiting the deserts as much as I can before the
      weather turns too warm (I'll be visiting the Mojave desert twice this
      month), and once that happens I'll either be in the high country or
      along the coast, where temperatures are mostly tolerable. Elevations
      will range from sea level to around 7,000 feet (2134 meters). I
      expect to encounter temps ranging from 40 degrees (4.5 celsius) to
      over 100 (38 celsius) within the next 6 months. Our rainy season is
      drawing to an end, so conditions may occasionally be humid but will
      mostly be dry. The only canyoneering I do is decidedly non-
      technical, but we do have some local, un-famous little canyon
      stretches that I like to scramble through.

      Test Considerations/Strategy: I don't need much from a knife –
      slicing food, occasionally cutting some cord, trimming off loose
      threads, cutting off a length of duck or medical tape – simple
      stuff. Well, last summer I had to perform surgery on my shoes, but
      even that was do-able with a small knife. I've been cycling through
      an assortment of inexpensive, simple, lightweight knives. I carried
      a mini Swiss army knife for a while, but decided it had too many
      features I just wasn't using. I switched to a no-name folding steel
      blade, but it's heavier than it needs to be and the blade is already
      rusting. I've been considering carrying one of those mini
      retractable blades – the kind that you can snap the blade tip off of
      when it gets too worn down. I have also been considering the Buck
      Metro knife, or a Spyderco Jester.

      The Canyon Knife looks like a nice option for folks like me – a
      simple folding blade suited to the most common tasks that crop up in
      the course of backpacking. I don't go out expecting to have to skin
      an animal, or even to gut a fish – although gutting a fish might be a
      possibility during the course of this test, as I anticipate doing
      some fishing on both the California coast and on Flathead lake in NW
      Montana. If that ends up being a task I do with the Canyon Knife,
      readers will definitely read about it in my report.

      Safety. I can see from photos on Imlay's site that the Canyon Knife
      cannot open when it is closed and threaded onto a large enough
      carabiner. But I don't typically carry a carabiner of that size – in
      fact, I typically don't have a carabiner with me. Is the knife prone
      to opening if not secured shut, or are the parts fastened securely
      enough that the knife will stay closed when folded shut? I typically
      carry my small folding knives on a lanyard around my neck, along with
      my whistle and a squeeze LED – that way I always have them with me,
      even if I've set down my pack and stepped away from it for a moment.
      If I am to do this with the Canyon Knife, I'd have to be sure that it
      wouldn't fall open.

      Blade sharpness. How sharp is the Canyon Knife? How long will it
      keep a sharp edge, and how much work will it do before it dulls? How
      easy is it to re-sharpen?

      Is the serrated edge a useful aspect for my typical needs? All of my
      previous knifes have had straight edges. I've been under the
      impression that serrated blades were better for sawing tasks, like
      cutting through webbing (as technical canyoneers & climbers must
      occasionally do, but backpackers generally don't). Does a serrated
      blade slice through foods as smoothly and easily as a straight blade?

      Durability & quality of construction. I know it's made from surgical-
      grade stainless steel, but will the blade get rusty anyway?
      Actually, the hinge would be the first place I would expect to see
      rust. California is a dry place, but saltwater and sea air can be
      hard on metals, and this knife will definitely see use on the coast,
      and may get dunked in a few streams or rivers. I know, I know – it's
      designed for canyoneering, it should be able to handle getting wet.
      But I plan to put that to the test.

      Functionality. It's a small knife – it is actually any use? Is the
      handle long enough to properly grip so that I can get enough traction
      to cut? Is the blade long enough to cut through a salami chub in one
      go, or will I have to do a messy hack job? Is this knife handy and
      functional enough that I'm going to want to keep it on my keychain?

      Thanks again for considering my application.

      Most Recently Completed Test Series

      Red Ledge Cirrus Lt.
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/Red%20Ledge%
      20Cirrus%20Lt/Colleen%20Porter/

      Bozeman Mountain Works TorsoLite
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%
      20Mattresses/Bozeman%20Mountain%20Works%20TorsoLite/Colleen%20Porter/

      Current Test Series

      Titanium Goat Vertex 5 Tent
      Shock Doctor Ultra Custom Insoles
      Vargo Triad Titanium Stove

      Additional BGT Reports

      Insul-Mat Women's Max-Lite
      Gregory Electra
      Wilderness Press Southern California PCT Guide
      Teva Women's Wraptor 2 Running Sandal (OR)
      Kelty Kangaroo Child Carrier (OR)
    • WoodlandSprite
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
        Intentional.
        -Steph

        Andy Mytys <amytys@...> wrote:

        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie Martin
        wrote:
        > BGT, in conjunction with Imlay Canyon Gear, will be testing three
        > (3) of their adorably portable Canyon Knives!

        Steph,

        I noted the test call didn't include the "Newbie" clause. Was that in
        error?

        Yahoo! Groups Links