Revised - Application to test the Sierra Designs Osage Bag (regular) - André

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      Please accept my application to test the Sierra Designs Osage
      Sleeping Bag. I have read and understood the Survival guide v.1202
      (in particular, chapter 5) and agree to follow all guidelines within.
      My signed agreement is on file.

      Personal Biographical Information:
      Name: André Corterier
      Gender: M
      Age: 33
      Height: 1,85 m (6 ft 1 in)
      Weight: 80 kg (175 lb)
      Email: andreDOTcorterierATfreenetDOTde
      Home: Bonn, Germany
      DATE: 2005-03-30

      Backpacking Background:
      I began backpacking in my late teens using Europe's "InterRail"-
      System – weight hardly mattered, as we were on trains a lot. I
      recently rediscovered backpacking and have started out slowly –
      single-day 15 mile (24 km) jaunts by myself or even shorter hikes in
      the company of my little daughter. I am getting started on longer
      hikes, as a lightweight packer and hammock-camper. I've begun
      upgrading my old gear and am now shooting for a dry FSO weight
      (everything carried From the Skin Out except food, fuel and water) of
      about 10 kg (22 lb) for three-season camping. Not quite there yet
      My current bag is an eight-year old three season down bag, weighing
      in at 1,365 g (48 oz) including its stuff sack. Shedding a little
      weight (off my pack) is something I've been trying to do for a little
      while now, and a sleeping bag which promises to drop 230 g (8 oz)
      with no reduction in warmth seems just the ticket.
      I like sleeping under the stars. When I don't (and I don't adapt to
      rough ground as well as I used to – or maybe I just mind the lack of
      comfort more) I now sleep in a hammock. When with wife and/or
      daughter, it's still going to be a tent sometimes.
      Test plan:
      I intend to try the bag under the stars (on a pad), in a hammock
      (with and without pad), in a shelter and a tent. This should allow me
      to report on its use from a wide spectrum of experience.
      My current pad is a rectangular Evazote pad. I'd like to find out
      whether the "pad-locks" allow attaching this bag to my pad as it is.
      If not, I might be tempted to cut my Evazote pad (it's mine, after
      all) to a size which would allow doing so (if such an operation would
      seem likely to succeed). If I am able to make use of this feature, I
      will want to find out whether it helps – particularly in my hammock!
      I am similarly intrigued by the "Chest pocket". Will it be
      uncomfortable to have my Paklite LED light resting on my chest next
      to my cell phone (doubling as alarm clock)? Or will it be so useful
      as to accumulate assorted odds and ends? Or will I want to go back to
      storing these things in the overhead net in my hammock when I sleep
      there?
      And, of course, I'll be intrigued to see whether Sierra Designs has
      solved the quandary of having full length zippers which keep the
      warmth inside yet do not snag. It would be a first. Maybe their
      zipper tracks / draft tube combo will make it happen.
      I am not a particularly cold sleeper (and always sleep in an unheated
      room, with the window open), but do not at all like freezing.
      Other questions which come to mind (and will be reported on, should I
      be chosen for this test:)
      Does it compress well? Does it regain its loft well? Will the 40D
      shell and lining let down escape? Will the glow-in-the-dark zipper
      pulls still glow at 4 in the morning?
      Thank you for considering me for this test.

      André

      My past Owner Reviews:
      - Jack Wolfskin "World's End" 3-person tent at
      http://tinyurl.com/2w8vu
      - Jack Wolfskin "Iceland Men" Jacket at http://tinyurl.com/yt4lg
      - Jack Wolfskin "Texapore Mesh Hat" at http://snipurl.com/92wr
      - Salewa Protection Windstopper Gloves at http://tinyurl.com/6k9pz
      - Victorinox Outrider at http://tinyurl.com/6fspv)

      Completed Tests:
      Ursa Designs Clikstand S-1 Complete Stove Set, at
      http://snipurl.com/92wt
      C.Crane PakLite LED flashlight, at http://tinyurl.com/3rlo3

      Current Tests:
      GoLite Wizard Jacket (FR posted), at http://tinyurl.com/6783m
      Dahlgren DriStride Alpaca Light Hiking Socks (FR posted), at
      http://tinyurl.com/63joq
      AGG cozy cover (IR posted), at http://tinyurl.com/6sqp2
      Ibex Roaster boxers (IR posted), at http://tinyurl.com/3vk8p
      Ibex Wool Glove Liners (IR posted), at http://tinyurl.com/3wwd7

      I am currently active as a BGT Mentor.

      With the current glut in open test calls, we were - quite
      reasonably - asked to think about the potential problems presented
      by having a high number of tests going on at the same time and to
      address this issue in upcoming applications, and here are my
      thoughts on this:
      While I currently have 5 (five) tests open, one of those will
      expire by virtue of its LTR being due (May 3rd) before any of the
      others get to their FR, so I am thinking it is more like four. This
      is especially true as the main body of those LTRs is already done on
      my hard drive - lacking only the text of what additional findings may
      still come up and a summary (although the headings even for those
      are in place already). In fact, I will create a root IR for
      the shoes before they are shipped if I'm chosen (including MSRP, how
      easy I found the manufacturer's website to navigate, a quote
      from the manufacturer's description, and a summary of the test plan
      I put into my application). This - if past experience is anything to
      judge by - will much reduce the amount of work associated with
      creating and uploading the IR on time. And, as I have in the past, I
      intend to create root FRs the moment I've uploaded the IRs (and
      deleted the corresponding test files from the test folder) ;-)
      With four tests running simultaneously until a little while ago (due
      to much luck and two items not counting against the newbie limit),
      this system which I have evolved has not made feel in any way put
      upon to meet my obligations (and I point to what I believe to be a
      perfect record in reports uploaded before their due date as
      assurance). As I intend to follow this in the future as well (and am
      lucky enough to have a job which allows me to do so) I feel
      confident that I still have room beyond the tests I have applied to.
      No, really.
      ;-)

      André