Gear Testing Survey

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
      Here's your chance to have some input on who we talk to at the OR show
      and what we test this (and next) winter/spring. Just follow the
      instructions below. Tentatively, I'm planing to compile them around
      the 11th (a week from wednesday), but can add in late entries as needed...
      Cheers, David

      INSTRUCTIONS:

      Answers should be emailed to daveDOTccsfATgmailDOTcom , don't send
      anything but the answers (use template below)...

      Answer format: (comma separated)
      --> Question number,answer (y or n, NOT yes or no, or a, b, c or
      number - if multiple abc type answers, then write together)

      Example:
      1,y
      2,y

      Use the form listed below the questions (cut/paste), and you can leave
      the later parts of a multi-part question blank.

      1. Are you willing and able to test snow gear (5 nights minimum on snow)?

      2. Are you willing to test cold weather (<25 F) gear?

      3. Do you snowshoe?

      4a. Do you snowcamp (NOT car camping in snow, but backpacking in snow)?
      4b. How many nights per year?

      5a. Are you interested in testing a shelter?
      5b. What type? a --> single wall tent, b --> double wall tent, c -->
      teepee style floorless tarp

      6a. Are you interested in testing a pack (not a daypack)?
      6b. What volume range, in cubic inches? (small size - large size)

      7. Are you interested in testing a daypack?

      8a. Are you interested in testing a sleeping bag?
      8b. What temperature range? (degrees F - degrees F , low to high)

      9a. Are you interested in testing a stove?
      9b. What type? a --> white gas, b --> canister, c --> alcohol, d -->
      tablet, e --> something new (multiple answers ok)

      10a. Are you interested in testing water treatment/filtration?
      10b. What type? a --> chemical, b --> uv, c --> filter, d --> hybrid
      or some other method

      11a. Are you interested in testing knives or multitools?
      11b. What type? a --> fixed blade, b --> folding, c --> multitool

      12a. Are you interested in testing shirts/jackets?
      12b. Type? a --> softshell, b --> hardshell (heavy duty), c -->
      fleece/pile
      d --> windshirt, e --> rain jacket, f --> high loft, g --> base layer
      12c. What style zipper? a --> none, b --> half zip, c --> full zip
      12d. What for?
      12e. Any special features?

      13a. Are you interested in testing pants?
      13b. Type? a --> softshell, b --> hardshell (heavy duty), c -->
      fleece/pile
      d --> windpants, e --> rain jacket, f --> high loft, g --> base layer
      13c. Full zippers? (y/n)
      13d. What for?
      13e. Any special features?

      14a. Lights?
      14b. headlamp (h) or flashlight (f)?
      14c. Adjustable brightness (y/n)
      14d. What style beam? a --> focusable, b --> area light, c --> narrow
      beam spot
      14e. How bright do you need? a --> >= 5 W, b --> >= 3 W, c --> >= 1 W,
      d --> 1 5mm led is fine

      15a. Sleeping pad?
      15b. Coldest temp for use? (degree F)
      15c. Extra wide (x), normal (n), or mummy (m)?

      16. Interested in testing a GPS (g), compass (c), digital compass (d),
      altimeter (a), portable weather station (w)?

      17a. Interested in trekking poles?
      17b. Fixed length (f), adjustable (a), ice axe hybrid (i)?

      18a. Cookware?
      18b. Pan/skillet (s), mug (m), insulated mug (i), pot (p)
      18c. What size mug (ml)?
      18d. What size pot (ml)?

      19. Interested in testing a snow shovel?

      20. Interested in winter boots, overboots or mukluks?

      21. Interested in testing gaiters?

      22. Interested in testing down/synthetic booties (for around camp)?

      Template:

      1,
      2,
      3,
      4a,
      4b,
      5a,
      5b,
      6a,
      6b,
      7,
      8a,
      8b,
      9a,
      9b,
      10a,
      10b,
      11a,
      11b,
      12a,
      12b,
      12c,
      12d,
      12e,
      13a,
      13b,
      13c,
      13d,
      13e,
      14a,
      14b,
      14c,
      14d,
      14e,
      15a,
      15b,
      15c,
      16,
      17a,
      17b,
      18a,
      18b,
      18c,
      18d,
      19,
      20,
      21,
      22,
    • jwj32542
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
        > Answers should be emailed to daveDOTccsfATgmailDOTcom , don't send
        > anything but the answers (use template below)...

        1,y
        2,y
        3,y
        4,y
        4b,15
        5,y
        5b,abc
        6a,y
        6b,3000-4000
        7,n
        8a,y
        8b,0F-or-quilts
        9a,y
        9b,ae
        10a,n
        10b,d
        11a,y
        11b,c
        12a,y
        12b,abcef
        12c,c
        12d,multi-sport and cold-weather
        12e,any
        13a,y
        13b,abcefg
        13c,y
        13d,multi-sport
        13e,any
        14a,n
        15a,y
        15b,0
        15c,n
        16,gw
        17a,y
        17b,ai
        18a,y
        18b,y
        18b,sp
        18c,750
        18d,1000
        19,y
        20,y
        21,y
        22,y
      • AsABat
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
          Um, read the directions that say they should be emailed. This can be
          easily done by selecting forward either in your email software or on
          the Yahoogroups website and copying Dave's address into the "to" line.

          > > Answers should be emailed to daveDOTccsfATgmailDOTcom , don't send
          > > anything but the answers (use template below)...
        • AndrĂ© Corterier
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2006
            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David" <davese@g...> wrote:

            > Here's your chance to have some input on who we talk to at the OR show
            > and what we test this (and next) winter/spring. Just follow the
            > instructions below. Tentatively, I'm planing to compile them around
            > the 11th (a week from wednesday), but can add in late entries as
            needed...
            > Cheers, David

            What about kid gear? Shane made a list of people and things that would
            be good to test the last time around. I would particularly enjoy the
            chance to test a kid carrier - especially if the call came late,
            towards summer... (we're expecting the arrival any day now. In summer,
            what with the recent births at backpackgeartest.org, we should have
            enough people to test more than three of the things.)

            Keeping my fingers crossed...

            André