IR - Dunham Pileus Boots - Andy Henrichs

  • a_henrichs
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2006
      Here's my IR for the Pileus Boots. As a note, I have 2 pictures of
      the boots in the html version of the report. Once the site gets
      moved and we get the ok to post, I can post the html version in the
      Tests folder. Thanks.

      Dunham Cloud Pileus Boots Initial Report
      Andrew Henrichs
      January 1, 2006

      Biographical Information
      Name: Andrew Henrichs
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 2" (1.88 m)
      Weight: 190 lb (86.2 kg)
      Email address: a_henrichs@...
      City, State, Country: Glenwood Springs, Colorado, USA

      Backpacking Background
      Most of my backpacking has been in the mountains of Colorado and
      Wyoming, as well as the desert in the southwestern US. I've gone
      winter camping several times, but I still prefer backpacking in the
      warmer months. Most of my trips are 2-3 days, but I have taken
      several trips of 5-6 days. This past summer, I was fortunate enough
      to have thru-hiked the 476 mile Colorado Trail over 35 days.
      Recently, I have been leaning towards the lightweight side of the
      spectrum.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Dunham (www.dunhambootmakers.com)
      Year of Manufacturer: 2005
      Listed Weight: not listed
      Weight as Delivered (size 15D US): 4 lb 0 oz (1.8 kg)
      MSRP: $165.00 US

      Product Description
      The Dunham Cloud Pileus Boots are waterproof leather hiking
      boots. The uppers of the boots are constructed from several
      stitched pieces of leather. A rubber rand wraps from the instep
      around the toe, and approximately halfway down the outside of the
      boot. The boot features a gusseted tongue, as well as padding on
      the tongue and around the top of the boot. According to the
      manufacturer, this will provide increased comfort. The sole is
      constructed of Tru-Trak, Dunham's proprietary material. The first
      four components of the lacing system are eyelets. The last three
      are speed loops. The speed loops seem to grip the laces very well,
      preventing the laces from falling out when I tighten them. The
      forefoot and heel feature ABZORB pods, which the manufacturer says
      provides cushioning and shock absorption. There is also an ABZORB
      insert running the full length of the boot for even more
      cushioning. According to the manufacturer, the boot also features
      a "Graphite Rollbar" in the rearfoot of the boot. This is intended
      to provide motion control at heel strike. The Pileus Boot also
      features a "Dryworks moisture management system" lining the inside
      of the leather. The manufacturer states that this system is
      waterproof and breathable. The manufacturer also claims a "360º fit
      design" takes into account length, width, and volume when designing
      the boots.

      Initial Testing
      Due to a busy schedule, I've only been able to wear these boots
      around the house. So far, they fit quite well. I have long, narrow
      feet. Most of the boots I have to use are too wide in the toe box.
      This boot seems to be an exception. The toe box is definitely
      roomy, but in a good way. It allows me to wiggle my toes, but there
      doesn't seem to be too much lateral movement. I also feel that I'm
      able to snug the heel up quite well. As for the water-proofness of
      the Dryworks system, I stuck the boots under running water in the
      sink for one minute. Most of the water beaded up and rolled right
      off. A minimal amount of water appeared to soak into the leather
      towards the end of the minute, but I never felt any water in the
      inner lining of the boot. Not a wholly accurate test of real life
      conditions, but promising nonetheless. I was hoping the boots would
      come with a small booklet, at least telling me if these boots
      require further water-proofing or not. Alas, there was none. Based
      on the sink performance, I will see how these boots do as-is before
      I apply a waterproofing agent.

      Test Plan
      I will use the Dunham Men's Pileus Boots primarily on day hikes
      and snowshoe trips. When snowshoeing, I always like to wear a
      sturdy pair of waterproof boots. There is a trail that snakes its
      way up into the National Forest land just down the street from my
      house. I'd like to explore further up the trail this winter via
      snowshoes. Elevations on these trips will range from 7000 ft (2134
      m) to 8500 ft (2591 m). These trips will range in length from 2
      miles (3 km) when I am strapped for time to over 10 miles (16 km).
      I plan on heading up this trail at least 2 times per month.
      In addition to these short hikes, I plan on taking several
      overnight snowshoe trips during the testing session. Earlier this
      fall I found a perfect destination. While mountain biking, I found
      a small hut in the cross-county skiing/snowshoeing area next to our
      local ski resort. The hut is first-come, first-serve and has a
      small wood burning stove inside, along with a supply of dry
      firewood. It is located about 5 miles (8 km) from the trailhead in
      a small clearing among the pine and aspen forest. The hut lies at
      approximately 9000 ft (2743 m). It's a beautiful location in the
      forest, and I will definitely spend several nights there this
      winter. These trips will take place in the White River National
      Forest or other nearby National Forests, and elevations will range
      from 7000 ft (2134 m) to over 11000 ft (3353 m). Distances on these
      trips will range from 5 miles (8 km) to 10 miles (16 km).
      I will put these boots to the test on the approach to and climb
      of several 14000 ft (4267 m) peaks. I'll likely have to deal with
      snow for most of the route. Ridges are usually snow-free thanks to
      the wind. This will give me a chance to test the traction of the
      boots on icy rocks.
      I would also like to take a long weekend trip to Bryce Canyon
      National Park. I've longed to see the hoodoos of this park frosted
      with snow, and it looks like I may get a chance this winter. The
      elevation of Bryce Canyon National Park is approximately 7500 ft
      (2286 m), and the average winter high is approximately 40º F (4º
      C).

      During the testing session, I will pay particular attention to the
      following:
      1. Fit/Comfort – This is the cornerstone of any good pair of
      boots. If they don't make my feet feel good, I'm going to be one
      unhappy camper. In the past, my feet and leather boots have been
      arch-nemeses. As stated earlier, my feet are long but have a small
      volume. Could the "360º fit" be the answer to my feet's prayers? So
      far I am impressed with the fit. I'll be interested to see if I
      remain impressed after some serious miles on the trail. Will the
      boots stretch out, thereby eliminating the good fit? Do these boots
      require a break-in period, or are they ready to go out of the box?
      I haven't found any hot-spots so far, but I haven't gone anywhere in
      them. Will I find any hot-spots after 2 miles? What about 20
      miles?

      2. Dryworks moisture management system – Is this system truly
      waterproof? Are there any sneaky seams where moisture can leak in?
      Do the boots require further waterproofing or can I leave them as-
      is? How well does the Dryworks system breathe? Will my feet be
      swimming in sweat after a long hike?

      3. Tru-Trak soles – How much traction do these soles actually
      provide? The lugs look fairly aggressive; will I have peace of mind
      while hiking in mud, rain, snow, and ice?

      4.  Stability – How well does the Graphite rollbar work? Will I
      notice a difference in my gait? I have strong ankles, but pronate
      slightly. The included footbed seems a little flimsy, will these
      boots provide enough support to my arches mile after mile?

      5. Durability – How well will the leather hold up to scuffing?
      Does the toe rand extend far enough to prevent wear and tear on the
      leather? Will the ABZORB material hold up to my body weight plus
      the weight of a heavy pack? Will I notice decreased cushioning
      after time? If so, when?

      6. Cleaning – How easy are these boots to clean? Are there
      nooks and crannies where it become nearly impossible to clean the
      dirt? Will the material resist dirt and mud, thereby making
      cleaning that much simpler?