Cut Me Some Slack!

  • Stephanie Martin
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 28, 2005
      BGT, in conjunction with Imlay Canyon Gear, will be testing three (3) of their
      adorably portable Canyon Knives!

      Full Details and image can be found at:
      http://www.imlaygear.com/knife.htm

      Specifications:
      Material: 440-C Surgical Stainless Steel
      Blade Length: 1-1/8"
      Open Length: 3-3/8"
      Weight: 0.7 oz (20 g)

      Fine Print:
      No Sharps will be given to minors for testing.
      This test call is scheduled to close at 11:59pm MST on Monday April 8. Please
      submit your detailed test plan and application with the subject Imlay Canyon
      Knife before then. Make note of the petite size and write your applications
      accordingly.

      Stay Sharp!
      Stephanie
      BGT Moderator

      reviews and tests on the planet!
    • Andy Mytys
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 29, 2005
        --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Stephanie Martin
        <stephanie@b...> wrote:

        > Full Details and image can be found at:
        > http://www.imlaygear.com/knife.htm

        "Its petite size makes it hard to grasp for tasks requiring more force
        and effort like, say, cutting off your arm."

        I like their sense of humor :)
      • David
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 29, 2005
          These are really cool knives (also sold by Trango, identical, same
          msrp etc). I picked up one at the OR show and I've been carrying it
          ever since. I guess canyoneers aren't as big of beer fans as climbers
          (Trango markets this point), but the secondary use for it is as a
          bottle opener! Also makes a nice clicking sounds when opening and
          closing the blade - great for meetings! And since it's small and easy
          to drop, you can put it on a wiregate biner instead of a locker and if
          slid over the wire gate you can open the blade w/o removing it from
          the biner (and don't have to worry about dropping it). Works best for
          cutting if you can fit a pinky in the biner hole or have a really
          strong pinch grip.
          ( I think these will be stocking stuffers next xmas)

          Cheers,
          David

          <stephanie@b...> wrote:
          > BGT, in conjunction with Imlay Canyon Gear, will be testing three
          (3) of their
          > adorably portable Canyon Knives!
          >
          > Full Details and image can be found at:
          > http://www.imlaygear.com/knife.htm
          >
          > Specifications:
          > Material: 440-C Surgical Stainless Steel
          > Blade Length: 1-1/8"
          > Open Length: 3-3/8"
          > Weight: 0.7 oz (20 g)
          >
          > Fine Print:
          > No Sharps will be given to minors for testing.
          > This test call is scheduled to close at 11:59pm MST on Monday April
          8. Please
          > submit your detailed test plan and application with the subject
          Imlay Canyon
          > Knife before then. Make note of the petite size and write your
          applications
          > accordingly.
          >
          > Stay Sharp!
          > Stephanie
          > BGT Moderator
          >
          > --
          > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive interactive
          gear
          > reviews and tests on the planet!
        • robpatterson5
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 29, 2005
            It seams like the perfict knife to me! I'll defidentley be putting in
            an app for this one.
            Cheers: Rob

            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "David"

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
              <stephanie@b...> wrote:
              > BGT, in conjunction with Imlay Canyon Gear, will be testing three
              > (3) of their adorably portable Canyon Knives!

              Steph,

              I noted the test call didn't include the "Newbie" clause. Was that in
              error?
            • Shane Steinkamp
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 31, 2005
                > > BGT, in conjunction with Imlay Canyon Gear, will be testing three
                > > (3) of their adorably portable Canyon Knives!

                I may have missed it, but sharps are only open to testers 18 and over.
                Check local laws before applying.

                Shane
              • Emma Eyeball
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
                  Here is my application to test the Imlay Canyon Gear Canyon Knife. I
                  have read the BGT survival guide v. 1202 and agree to comply with the
                  requirements stated in Chapter 5. My Tester Agreement is currently on
                  file. Thank you for considering my application.

                  Name: Colleen Porter
                  Age: 30
                  Gender: F
                  Height: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
                  Weight: 153 lb (64 kg)
                  Email address: tarbubble at yahoo dot com
                  City, State: Irvine, CA
                  Date: 04/01/05

                  Backpacking Background: I went on my first backpacking trip at age
                  16. It was a disaster, so I stuck to day hikes until I was 20, when
                  my husband got me back into backpacking. He created a bit of a
                  monster. Having children forced us to go ultralight, and now on my
                  own my 3-season base weight hovers around 13 pounds. I love to hike
                  in sandals, I'm irrationally afraid of snow, I make some of my own
                  equipment, I always pack too much food, and I like gear to be light,
                  simple, and uncomplicated - silnylon, goose down, alcohol stoves, ¾
                  length sleeping pads... My typical haunts are the mountains of
                  southern California, the Sierra Nevada, Grand Canyon, Mojave and
                  Colorado deserts. We hope to spend a month on the PCT in 2007, with
                  the kids along of course.

                  Field Conditions: If selected to test the Canyon Knife, I will be
                  using it throughout southern California and hopefully in northwestern
                  Montana. I'll be visiting the deserts as much as I can before the
                  weather turns too warm (I'll be visiting the Mojave desert twice this
                  month), and once that happens I'll either be in the high country or
                  along the coast, where temperatures are mostly tolerable. Elevations
                  will range from sea level to around 7,00 feet (xxx meters). I expect
                  to encounter temps ranging from 40 degrees (x celsius) to over 100 (x
                  celsius) within the next 6 months. Our rainy season is drawing to an
                  end, so conditions may occasionally be humid but will mostly be dry.
                  The only canyoneering I do is decidedly non-technical, but we do have
                  some local, un-famous little canyon stretches that I like to scramble
                  through.

                  Test Considerations/Strategy: I don't need much from a knife –
                  slicing food, occasionally cutting some cord, trimming off loose
                  threads, cutting off a length of duck or medical tape – simple
                  stuff. Well, last summer I had to perform surgery on my shoes, but
                  even that was do-able with a small knife. I've been cycling through
                  an assortment of inexpensive, simple, lightweight knives. I carried
                  a mini Swiss army knife for a while, but decided it had too many
                  features I just wasn't using. I switched to a no-name folding steel
                  blade, but it's heavier than it needs to be and the blade is already
                  rusting. I've been considering carrying one of those mini
                  retractable blades – the kind that you can snap the blade tip off of
                  when it gets too worn down. I have also been considering the Buck
                  Metro knife, or a Spyderco Jester.

                  The Canyon Knife looks like a nice option for folks like me – a
                  simple folding blade suited to the most common tasks that crop up in
                  the course of backpacking. I don't go out expecting to have to skin
                  an animal, or even to gut a fish – although gutting a fish might be a
                  possibility during the course of this test, as I anticipate doing
                  some fishing on both the California coast and on Flathead lake in NW
                  Montana. If that ends up being a task I do with the Canyon Knife,
                  readers will definitely read about it in my report.

                  Safety. I can see from photos on Imlay's site that the Canyon Knife
                  cannot open when it is closed and threaded onto a large enough
                  carabiner. But I don't typically carry a carabiner of that size – in
                  fact, I typically don't have a carabiner with me. Is the knife prone
                  to opening if not secured shut, or are the parts fastened securely
                  enough that the knife will stay closed when folded shut? I typically
                  carry my small folding knives on a lanyard around my neck, along with
                  my whistle and a squeeze LED – that way I always have them with me,
                  even if I've set down my pack and stepped away from it for a moment.
                  If I am to do this with the Canyon Knife, I'd have to be sure that it
                  wouldn't fall open.

                  Blade sharpness. How sharp is the Canyon Knife? How long will it
                  keep a sharp edge, and how much work will it do before it dulls? How
                  easy is it to re-sharpen?

                  Is the serrated edge a useful aspect for my typical needs? All of my
                  previous knifes have had straight edges. I've been under the
                  impression that serrated blades were better for sawing tasks, like
                  cutting through webbing (as technical canyoneers & climbers must
                  occasionally do, but backpackers generally don't). Does a serrated
                  blade slice through foods as smoothly and easily as a straight blade?

                  Durability & quality of construction. I know it's made from surgical-
                  grade stainless steel, but will the blade get rusty anyway?
                  Actually, the hinge would be the first place I would expect to see
                  rust. California is a dry place, but saltwater and sea air can be
                  hard on metals, and this knife will definitely see use on the coast,
                  and may get dunked in a few streams or rivers. I know, I know – it's
                  designed for canyoneering, it should be able to handle getting wet.
                  But I plan to put that to the test.

                  Functionality. It's a small knife – it is actually any use? Is the
                  handle long enough to properly grip so that I can get enough traction
                  to cut? Is the blade long enough to cut through a salami chub in one
                  go, or will I have to do a messy hack job? Is this knife handy and
                  functional enough that I'm going to want to keep it on my keychain?

                  Thanks again for considering my application.

                  Most Recently Completed Test Series

                  Red Ledge Cirrus Lt.
                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/Red%20Ledge%
                  20Cirrus%20Lt/Colleen%20Porter/

                  Bozeman Mountain Works TorsoLite
                  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Pads%20and%20Air%
                  20Mattresses/Bozeman%20Mountain%20Works%20TorsoLite/Colleen%20Porter/

                  Current Test Series

                  Titanium Goat Vertex 5 Tent
                  Shock Doctor Ultra Custom Insoles
                  Vargo Triad Titanium Stove

                  Additional BGT Reports

                  Insul-Mat Women's Max-Lite
                  Gregory Electra
                  Wilderness Press Southern California PCT Guide
                  Teva Women's Wraptor 2 Running Sandal (OR)
                  Kelty Kangaroo Child Carrier (OR)
                • Emma Eyeball

                    Date: 04/01/05

[...]

                    will range from sea level to around 7,000 feet (2134 meters). I
                    expect to encounter temps ranging from 40 degrees (4.5 celsius) to
                    over 100 (38 celsius) within the next 6 months. Our rainy season is

                  • WoodlandSprite
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 1, 2005
                      Intentional.
                      -Steph

                      wrote:
                      > BGT, in conjunction with Imlay Canyon Gear, will be testing three
                      > (3) of their adorably portable Canyon Knives!

                      Steph,

                      I noted the test call didn't include the "Newbie" clause. Was that in
                      error?

                      Yahoo! Groups Links