TED FR for Coleman Xcusrion lantern

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2005
      HTML is prepared, but nott uploaded because of the server problem.
      Here's the text version.

      Field Report:
      Coleman Exponent Xcursion Lantern

      Report Date: December 1, 2005

      This is the second report of three
      The Initial Report may be viewed here.

      Navigation

      Reviewer Background
      Product information in brief
      Field and test information
      Product use and Performance
      Summary
      Future testing strategy

      Reviewer Background

      I enjoy walking in all its manifold forms, from a simple stroll in
      the woods to multi-day backpack excursions. Though by no means an
      extreme ultra-light enthusiast, from spring to fall my preference is
      to carry a pack weight (before food and water) of 12 lb (5.5 kg), more
      or less. In recent years, I've rapidly moved to a philosophy of
      "lighter is better," within the constraints of budget and common sense.

      Reviewer Information

      * Name: Edward Ripley-Duggan
      * Age: 52
      * Gender: Male
      * Height: 6′ 1″; (1.85 m)
      * Weight: 215 lb (98 kg)
      * erd@...
      * Catskills, New York State

      Product information in brief

      * Manufacturer: Coleman
      * Product: Xcursion Lantern
      * Year of manufacture: 2004 (from packaging)
      * MSRP: US $39.99 (from website)
      * Manufacturer's stated dry weight: 12 oz (340 g)
      * Measured weight (home scale): 12 oz (340 g)
      * Manufacturer's stated weight, fully fueled: 13.1 oz (371 g)
      * Measured weight, fully fueled (home scale): 13 oz (368 g)
      * Stated dimensions: 6.7 x 3.0 x 3.0 in (19 x 8.5 x 8.5 cm)
      * Measured dimensions: 6.7 x 3.0 x 3.0 in (19 x 8.5 x 8.5 cm)
      * Fuel capacity (stated): 1.8 fl oz (53 cc)
      * Fuel type: Coleman Powermax canister fuel
      * Mantle type: Coleman Push-On #9970
      * Stated light output: 10 candle-power
      * Stated burn time: up to six hours

      Field and test information

      During the two months discussed in this Field Report, nighttime
      temperatures ranged from about 50 F (10 C), down to around 20 F (-7
      C). Despite a prodigious hurricane season and the resulting periods of
      heavy rain as the storms swept northwards, there were long dry
      stretches and I took quite a few overnight backpacks. The Xcursion
      lantern saw several nights of use, both day-to-day (I find it handy
      for illuminating my gas grill!) and on the trail. Elevations were from
      500 ft (152 m) to 3700 ft (1127 m), sometimes in heavily wooded
      settings, in Harriman Park and the Catskills (New York State).

      Product use and Performance

      I'm charmed by the Xcursion lantern. While by no means ultralight,
      it's a pleasant addition on a trip, and I have found that it can be
      safely tucked into one of the side pockets on my Granite Gear Virga
      pack, or into an interstitial space in the interior. It takes up very
      little room.

      I'm also testing the Exponent Xtreme stove, and the combination is
      a good one, as surplus gas in the PowerMax canister can be discharged
      into the lantern (this is very straightforward), and I can then
      dispose of the empty canister (having punctured it with the Green Key
      first). It's a pleasure not to have yet another fractionally full
      canister sitting around the place. One of the real weaknesses of
      canister gas is the difficulty of disposal of the empty canister
      afterwards. I'm pleased to report that fuel economy seems very good
      indeed.

      I was concerned about the durability of the mantle in transport,
      but so far, despite carrying a couple of spare mantles (insignificant
      in weight) I've not had occasion to have to replace one in the field.
      For transportation, I simply slide the protective shields up, so the
      glass is not exposed. I don't take any precautions, but both lantern
      and mantle seem to be pretty sturdy.

      Lighting is straightforward—sort of! The easiest way to achieve
      ignition is to light a match, insert it through the ignition hole at
      the rear of the lantern, hold it next to the mantle, and turn on the
      gas. The lantern fires up almost immediately. However, matches are a
      nuisance in the field. Regular matches blow out, all too often, and
      half the time I find that the "waterproof-windproof" variety don't
      strike well. There's also the chance that the matchstick will be left
      behind; though I'm careful about such things, others are not, and it's
      not uncommon to find a popular camping site scattered with spent
      matches. This is not good "Leave No Trace" practice!

      While I always carry a small match supply for dire emergencies, I
      usually use a Brunton Helios lighter for camp tasks. This projects a
      powerful jet, and with a little practice it's possible to squirt the
      flame in through the ignition hole and light the mantle. Lighting
      usually takes a couple of seconds (with a match it is virtually
      instantaneous) and there's a distinct "pop" as the surplus gas/air
      mixture is ignited. I find the decision to place the ignition hole in
      the rear an odd one, as this means that the match or lighter flame has
      to bypass the burner tube. Additionally, as the mantle is placed
      off-center, closer to the front, the match or flame has to traverse a
      greater distance (and with a match, there's the chance of piercing the
      mantle in the process). I'm rather mystified that Coleman did not
      provide a front ignition port, which would be an improvement. But this
      is a minor cavil, and overall igniting the lantern is generally no big
      deal. I've yet to attempt it in high winds, however.

      The quality of the light is excellent, a clear white. I've mostly
      used the lantern solo, but on a recent trip I used it to illuminate
      the kitchen/conversation area of the campsite for three people (myself
      included) and it proved very adequate to that task. While a lantern
      doesn't throw out heat like a campfire, light alone can also be a
      focus for groups. In a backcountry setting I don't use fires (except
      on those rare occasions when the conditions permit a small, traceless
      conflagration), and the lantern does provide a pleasant camp ambience.
      I should note that (like most and perhaps all mantle lanterns) it is
      not possible to control the level of brightness by adjusting the fuel
      feed valve.

      The light intensity is not such that it illuminates an entire
      campsite, which is a good thing, to my mind. It is not terribly
      intrusive (and if I want to experience the night without the barrier
      of light, as I often do, I can just turn the lantern off). The unit is
      entirely noiseless, which is another big plus. It's sometimes handy to
      use one of the reflectors to make the light more directional, for
      example if one is engaged in a delicate task. For some reason, I find
      the catch for the sliding reflectors slightly awkward to disengage,
      but that's probably the result of my ineptitude rather than the fault
      of the lantern.

      Summary

      So far, the Xcursion lantern has proved to be a handy little
      workhorse. It's easy to pack, the mantle seems durable, and lighting
      it (while not without some minor issues) is straightforward.
      Recharging the lamp with fuel is entirely straightforward, and it
      makes a good companion to a Coleman PowerMax stove.

      Future testing Strategy

      In the remaining two months of testing, I will continue to use the
      lantern on winter excursions. I'll be particularly interested to see
      how it functions at the low temperatures I'll be experiencing, and in
      high winds.

      So far, I'm satisfied with performance, and the only significant
      objection I have is the location of the ignition port, which I feel
      should be at the front of the lantern.

      I thank BackpackGearTest and Coleman for permitting me to
      participate in this very interesting test.