Application to Test Humm Foods Larabars

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      Application to Test Humm Foods Larabars

      Please accept my application to test the Larabars. I have read Chapter
      Five of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 1202, again on
      November 1, 2005 and I will follow all requirements for this test.

      Biography
      Name: Matt Mauceri
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'7 (170cm)
      Weight: 146 (66kg)
      Email address: dirtyhippieboy(at)yahoo(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Las Vegas NV, USA
      Date: 11/01/05

      Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking now for eleven years.
      I'm usually a quick escape artist who often has a pack waiting in the
      car for the minute I'm done work and will have a day or two off. I try
      to keep my pack weight to a minimum, and I've upgraded parts of my
      gear list, but I'm not yet an ultra light guy, just someone who is
      working to get there.

      Experience relative to this item
      The last few years of my outdoor adventures I've been trying to come
      up with ways to spend more time enjoying my surroundings and less time
      doing the chore type activities that I prefer to leave at home. On my
      day hikes, backpacking trips, mountain bike excursions, and climbing
      expeditions I have stopped packing a lunch and thanks to the surge of
      interest in the food bar industry, my lunch now consists of a few of
      these bars consumed throughout the day. These bars are packed full of
      good ingredients to give me the energy I need to enjoy the places I'm
      visiting. I always keep an extra bar or two in my pack just in case my
      plans change and the trip takes longer, or a partner didn't bring
      enough food. My co-workers tease me about my bars because on a busy
      day I'll have one in my pocket to snack on and keep me going until my
      next meal, but when they've missed a meal or have gotten hungry they
      know I've got a couple bars stashed in my bag that they can count on.

      Location/Terrain of testing
      Over the next two months I plan on testing these bars on as many
      activities as they can last through. I will be mountain biking and
      peak bagging in Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, and day
      hiking in some canyons at Lake Mead National Recreation Area many
      times in the next two months since both of these areas are within 20
      minutes of my home and work and perfect for a quick escape from the
      city. I'll also be making a few overnight backpacking trips during
      this short test period. One of these trips will be to Death Valley
      National Park. The other will be a mountaineering type adventure to
      some of the higher peaks in Nevada.

      Weather Conditions expected for testing
      Through the next two months I will get to test this bar in a very
      broad temperature range that will range from below 32°F (O°C) to above
      70°F(21.1°C). While most of my testing period will take place in a dry
      arid environment, I will be making some mountaineering trips in the
      winter months, and will be experiencing snow covered peaks and passes
      during those times.

      Test Plan
      Energy bars have come a long way since they were first created. How
      does the Larabar taste? Which flavor is my first choice, is there one
      I'd only eat in an emergency?
      How do these bars hold up to the environments and activities I'll be
      testing them? Do they crumble in their package if stuffed in a pocket
      or pack? Do they become messy and sticky in warmer temperatures, or to
      hard to chew in cold ones?
      How do the bars sustain my energy levels throughout my trips? How many
      calories does each bar contain? Is the portion size to large or small?
      Do I notice a difference in performance after consuming these bars
      made up entirely of raw foods as compared to the cooked and
      often-engineered bars I've always eaten?
      Since none of these bars have added sugars or sweeteners but do use
      some yummy and sweet ingredients will they help satisfy my sweet tooth
      on the trail or will they be just a source for energy?
      After finishing my tests of these bars will I make this bar part of my
      regular trail food diet, or will I go back to the bars loaded with
      sugars and ingredients I can't pronounce?

      Previously Written Reports:

      Completed Tests
      Brasslite Tubo II-F Stove
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/Brasslite%20Turbo%20II-F/Matt%20Mauceri/

      Seattle Sports Pocket Bucket
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Hydration%20Systems/Buckets/Seattle%20Sports%20Pocket%20Bucket/Matt%20Mauceri/

      Owners Reviews
      The North Face Cats Meow (March 7, 2004)
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%20Bags/TNF%20Cats%20Meow/Owner%20Review%20by%20Matt%20Mauceri/

      Hennessey Hammock Ultralite Backpacker A-sym
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%20Backpacker%20A-sym/Owner_Reviews/Owner%20Review%20by%20Matt%20Mauceri/

      Thanks to BGT and Larabar for considering me for this test!