Re: Test Call Status Report - Winter bags and hats

  • Andy Mytys
    Message 1 of 161 , Nov 1, 2005
      --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, " AsABat" <wjj2001@y...>
      wrote:

      > It seems to me those wanting to test this expensive winter sleeping
      > bag might increase their chance of being selected if they also
      > applied for this hat.

      Oh, I wouldn't say that. I don't want BGT to ever turn into
      an "extortion" ring where in order to test a popular item someone, at
      the same time, has to test lots of less-popular tests.

      What I do want to encourage is a change in mindset in terms of how
      tests are approached. It seems that there's always a line-up when
      an "attractive" item hits the list, and other items, items which
      share the field-conditions with the "attractive" item, are ignored.

      In general, the attitude should be, "can I use this in the field?"
      This question should be asked on all posted test calls. This
      question should be asked by both dayhikers and backpackers. If the
      answer is "Yes," you should apply.

      Note that BGT does track who applies for what. If there's a pattern,
      where a tester is ONLY applying for big-ticket items, they'll stop
      getting gear. BGT looks for testers who are here for the long-term,
      who are happy testing both expensive and inexpensive items.

      Our goal is to provide a solid range of reports for our readers to
      peruse. We can't do this w/o people actively applying for each and
      every item that hits the list (again, providing one can use it in the
      field).

      I understand people with bad backs avoiding heavy packs. I
      understand people that only pack 3000 cu/inches of gear for a week's
      long trip avoiding 7500 cu/in packs. I understand people who never
      use a knife in the field not applying to test blades. I don't
      understand it, however, when we can fill 6 cold-weather sleeping bag
      tests (18 testers, 50+ applicants) and we can only generate 1 app for
      a cold-weather hat.
    • Rebecca
      Message 161 of 161 , Nov 6, 2006
        TEST CALLS CURRENTLY OPEN

        =========================

        Icebreaker - Icebreaker L/S Skin 200 Womens

        TYPE: Clothing - Shirts

        International Testers Welcome

        Newbie limit applies.

        ...APPLICATIONS RECEIVED

        ...Heather OakesPalmer

        ...Colleen Porter

        ...Gail Staisil

        ...Marie-Noelle Augendre

        ...Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd

        ...Jo Ann Moffi

        Icebreaker - Bodyfit 260 Tech Top Womens

        TYPE: Clothing - Shirts

        International Testers Welcome

        Newbie limit applies.

        ...APPLICATIONS RECEIVED

        ...Heather OakesPalmer

        ...Colleen Porter

        ...Gail Staisil

        ...Marie-Noelle Augendre

        ...Rebecca Sowards-Emmerd

        ...Jo Ann Moffi

        Icebreaker - SKIN 200: Oasis Crewe Mens

        TYPE: Clothing - Shirts

        International Testers Welcome

        Newbie limit applies.

        ...APPLICATIONS RECEIVED

        ...Will Rietveld

        ...Richard Lyon

        ...Justin Prince

        ...Jason Boyle

        ...Andrew Henrichs

        ...Andre Corterier

        ...Thomas Vickers

        Icebreaker - BODYFIT 260: Tech Top Mens

        TYPE: Clothing - Shirts

        International Testers Welcome

        Newbie limit applies.

        ...APPLICATIONS RECEIVED

        ...Will Rietveld

        ...Richard Lyon

        ...Justin Prince

        ...Jason Boyle

        ...Andrew Henrichs

        ...Andre Corterier

        ...Thomas Vickers

        Marmot - Terraplane

        TYPE: Packs - w/Frame

        International Testers Welcome

        Newbie limit applies.

        ...APPLICATIONS RECEIVED

        ...Raymond Estrella

        ...Chuck Carnes

        ...Andrew Buskov

        ...Justin Prince

        ...Ralph Ditton

        ...Jason Boyle

        Outdoor Research - Men's Marvel Windshirt

        TYPE: Clothing - Jackets

        International Testers Welcome

        Newbie limit applies.

        ...NO APPLICATIONS RECEIVED