Application to test the Sierra Designs Echo sleeping bag

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      Please accept my application to test the Sierra Designs Echo
      sleeping bag. I have read the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide,
      version 1202, including Chapter 5. I agree to comply with all
      requirements.

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 44
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (187.5 cm)
      Weight: 200 lbs (90 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA
      Date: October 30, 2005

      Backpacking Background:
      I have been back packing since I was 14 years old. By the time I hit
      18 I was getting about 5 good hikes (multi day) a year, and day
      hikes at least once a week. So far this year I hiked 500 miles. (800
      k) My style of hiking is to get up early, and hike hard for most the
      day. I rarely stop to cook at mid-day, but always have a hot
      breakfast and dinner. I put the miles on, usually 15-18 miles a day.
      (24-29 k) I like to get to my days destination early enough to enjoy
      the afternoon. Most of my hiking is in the Sierras, my favorite
      place on Earth. I have hiked all over California, and in Nevada,
      Idaho, Washington state, and Minnesota.
      As I am getting older, I am making a concerted effort to lighten
      weight everywhere I can. I have gone from a packed weight for a 4
      day trip from 50+ lb, to 30 lb. And I am always looking for ways to
      cut it more, without giving up a comfortable tent, and cooking good
      meals.
      I have trips planned to San Jacinto, The Bristlecone Forest, and the
      Tahoe area this winter.
      The test
      I do a lot of winter hiking. I had 4 multi-day snow trips last
      winter, and have 3 planned for this winter with more possible. The
      big one will be an attempt on White Mountain elevation 14245' (4273
      m) in January or February. (When ever they have the most snow) It
      will be a 66 mile round trip starting at 7400' (2220 m) and will
      take 7 to 10 days depending on conditions. The temperatures can get
      to -10F (-23C) with winds gusting to 70 to 100 mph. (112 to 160
      kp/h) I will also climb San Jacinto at least once this winter.
      Elevation 10825' (3247 m) In May I will attempt Shasta again.
      I do a lot of winter hiking. One of the biggest considerations with
      tents and low temperatures is condensation. When your sleeping bag
      gets wet from hitting condensation covered tent walls, it can put an
      end to your trip. This bags Dri-zone fabric seems perfect for these
      type of conditions. How will it do in a case like this? On peak
      attempts I will leave my tent and try for the peak and back. But I
      always carry my bag in case I have to make an emergency bivouac.
      Will this fabric stand up to being used on snow, or in a snow cave?

      As the amount of gear needed for winter travel goes up, the space in
      my pack get used up pretty quick. The 800 fill down should compress
      quite well, freeing up precious space. Will this prove true?

      Of course the colder it is, the more I appreciate things like freely
      sliding zippers, and well functioning hoods. Will this prove to be
      the case with this bag? I will find out.

      I am a side sleeper. Will this bag be comfortable if I am flipping
      over? Will it be roomy enough inside? Or will it be confining?

      These are a few of the things I will be looking at if chosen to
      participate in this test. I would need a Long size.

      Thank you for your consideration.

      My reports and reviews can be found at;
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/rayestrella
      I have completed my first test series, and ended my newbie status. I
      have no other tests at this time. I have two more Owner Reviews
      pending.