REVISED APPLICATION to test LaraBars

  • Ryan Christensen
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005
      Test Application

      October 31 is the day of tricks and treats (Halloween)
      in the United States. The LaraBars look like a treat
      to me. I would welcome the opportunity to test them.
      I have read Chapter 5 of the BackpackGearTest Survival
      Guide, version 1202, and I will follow all
      requirements. Please accept my application.

      I have provided the requested information, initialed,
      signed, and mailed (both email and snail mail) my
      Tester Agreement. However, there has been no
      confirmation of its receipt.

      Reviewer Information:

      Name: Ryan L. Christensen
      Age: 41
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’ 2” (1.88 m)
      Weight: 225 lb (102 kg)
      Shoulder Girth: 56” (142 cm)
      Hip Girth: 44” (112 cm)
      Feet Girth: 33” (84 cm)
      Email address: bigdawgryan@...
      City, State, Country: Idaho Falls, ID, U.S.A

      Backpacking Background:

      I began hiking, camping, backpacking at twelve, and
      continued until 25. After a long hiatus due in part
      to a bad back, I resumed hiking, camping, and biking
      three years ago. Now, I have teen-age boys with whom
      I share my love for these sports. The past three
      years, we have hiked, or camped, nearly every month,
      year-round. We vary our experience: desert, forest,
      meadow, and mountain; in the spring, summer, fall, and
      winter; be it sunshine, rain, wind, or snow. Together
      we began backpacking this summer. I am not an
      ultra-light packer; I carry a full array of gear.

      Proposed Test Plan:

      First, and foremost, food has to taste good. Second,
      it has to provide the energy necessary to meet the
      challenges of the day. Finally, it must not create
      unexpected GI track problems. I am insulin resistant;
      meaning my body does not efficiently use the insulin
      that my body produces. Therefore, I eat like a
      diabetic, low-carbohydrate foods accompanied by an
      appropriate serving of protein: ideally 30 grams of
      carbohydrates to 14 grams of protein. Unlike many of
      you, GORP, and many of the energy bars just do not
      work for my body chemistry and me. In addition to
      nuts and energy bars I pack for energy between meals,
      I also pack beef jerky to ensure I get the protein
      needed to keep my insulin from spiking.

      I am eager to try the LaraBars in all eight
      flavors—several look especially appetizing. The
      website lists them as having 20 grams of
      carbohydrates—hopefully they will also have at least 9
      grams of protein. That should not be too difficult if
      they are laden with nuts. I really like that fact
      that they do not have added sugars or preservatives.
      Another item that appeals to me is the fact that the
      bars contain Omega 3 & 6 essential fatty acids.

      If selected, I will test the LaraBars as mid-meal
      snacks at work, and will also test them on a fall or
      winter outing.

      My testing will focus on the following:

      1. How appealing is taste of each of the eight
      flavors?
      2. Do any of the flavors leave an after-taste?
      3. What is the feel, texture of the bars?
      4. How filling are the bars?
      5. Do they cause me any lower GI problems?
      6. Does the wrapper seal the bar sufficiently so the
      bars do not absorb moisture in the wet fall/winter
      weather?

      Previously Written Reports:

      Owner Review: Asolo Fusion 95 GTX Boots
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Asolo%20Fusion%2095%20GTX%20%20Boots/

      Owner Review: MSR Whisperlite Backpacking Stove
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/MSR%20Whisperlite%20Shakerjet/Owner%20Review%20by%20Ryan%20Lane%20Christensen/

      Completed Tests:

      • None at this time

      Currently Testing:

      • None at this time

      Test Applications Recently Submitted for
      Consideration:

      • Sierra Designs Cirque Sleeping Bag (not selected for
      this test)
      • Duofold Multi-Sport Jacket
      • Duofold Varitherm Midweight Base Layer
      • Gerber Gator II knife
      • Gerber Nautilus multi-tool
      • Valandré Shocking Blue sleeping bag
      • MSR Lightning snowshoes
      • Sierra Design Echo sleeping bag

      Ryan L. Christensen
      E-mail: mailto:bigdawgryan@...

      "Excellence is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

      http://farechase.yahoo.com