Question: When should we expect gear?

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 31, 2005
      I am curious as to what our policy is regarding shipping timeframes for manufacturers
      once they have been notified that testers have been chosen. I have a handful of tests that I
      was selected for and have not received the gear despite being notified 3 to 8 weeks ago. I
      have been part of the list for a little under a year and received my first two test items very
      soon after notification, but all of my new tests are taking so long to arrive that I am
      concerned that they will either be cancelled or that by the time I get them I will have
      already gone on many of the outings that were outlined in my applications.

      I realize that the manufacturers are providing the gear for free and sometimes delays are
      unavoidable, but I was just curious if we have some standard timeframe during which we
      can reasonably expect to receive gear. My point isn't to whine about this, but simply to be
      better informed when writing new applications since I had not experienced this much
      delay during previous tests.

      Any insight?

      Thanks,
      Jenny Williams
    • Banjo Doje
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 31, 2005
        There are no guidelines for when you receive gear. It depends on the
        manufacturer - sometimes they get the gear right out - other times something
        happens and the test gets cancelled. Other times, they catch a problem or
        they have someone point out a defect before the test and they recall the
        test until they remedy the problem.
        But no, there are no set guidelines as to timeframes for receiving gear.
        Jodi
        BGT Tester, Monitor, Mentor for almost 3 years (geez, that's been a while!!)

        On 10/31/05, Jennifer <jensmail78@...> wrote:

        > I am curious as to what our policy is regarding shipping timeframes for
        > manufacturers
        > once they have been notified that testers have been chosen. I have a
        > handful of tests that I
        > was selected for and have not received the gear despite being notified 3
        > to 8 weeks ago.
        >
        > --
        > "If it ain't got a Banjo in it, it ain't Bluegrass!" - Ed Bolton
        > "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your own kids"

      • David
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2005
          My general rule of thumb is to check with the moderator something like
          3 weeks after mfg notification, or 4 weeks after tester selections are
          announced - unless we know the gear is supposed to ship later. Every
          time I've popped the question, something has been fishy, that needed
          to be sorted out, and wouldn't have been for some time if it wasn't
          brought to the moderators attention. So I don't think it ever hurts
          bringing it up - unless it's only been a week since the call closed...

          It's also a bit trickier now with a 4 month test plan and slow mfgs...
          but just means they lose in the sense it'll get tested less - case in
          point, the benchmades, another month, and I'm probably all done with
          non-snow backpacking trips until may/june... c'est la vie...

          --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...>
          wrote:

          > There are no guidelines for when you receive gear. It depends on the
          > manufacturer - sometimes they get the gear right out - other times
          something
          > happens and the test gets cancelled. Other times, they catch a
          problem or
          > they have someone point out a defect before the test and they recall the
          > test until they remedy the problem.
          > But no, there are no set guidelines as to timeframes for receiving
          gear.
          > Jodi
          > BGT Tester, Monitor, Mentor for almost 3 years (geez, that's been a
          while!!)

          > On 10/31/05, Jennifer <jensmail78@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am curious as to what our policy is regarding shipping
          timeframes for
          > > manufacturers
          > > once they have been notified that testers have been chosen. I have a
          > > handful of tests that I
          > > was selected for and have not received the gear despite being
          notified 3
          > > to 8 weeks ago.
          > >
          > > --
          > > "If it ain't got a Banjo in it, it ain't Bluegrass!" - Ed Bolton
          > > "Grandchildren are God's reward for not killing your own kids"

        • Andy Mytys
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2005
            --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer"
            <jensmail78@y...> wrote:

            > I am curious as to what our policy is regarding shipping timeframes
            > for manufacturers once they have been notified that testers have
            > been chosen.

            We have no policy - we don't control manufacturer's scheduling when
            it comes to shipping gear/participating with BGT, and we are happy
            and content w/whatever it is we get.

            > I have a handful of tests that I was selected for and have not
            > received the gear despite being notified 3 to 8 weeks ago. I
            > have been part of the list for a little under a year and received
            > my first two test items very soon after notification, but all of my
            > new tests are taking so long to arrive that I am concerned that
            > they will either be cancelled or that by the time I get them I will
            > have already gone on many of the outings that were outlined in my
            > applications.

            Everyone gets stuck with a "delayed" test eventually. Some of us get
            lucky and it takes a few years, and for others it's on their FIRST
            test.

            If a test gets cancelled, it gets cancelled - nothing you can do
            about that.

            As for getting out of synch w/your application test plan, it's more
            important to ask yourself, once the product actually arrives, if you
            can still give it a fair test, using the gear in the field for the
            requsite number of "nights" over the FR and LTR timeframes. If the
            answer is "Yes," test away. If the answer is "No," alert the Test
            Monitor/Moderator and they will re-assign the unit to someone else.

            This happened to me recently w/a water filter. I applied back in
            March, got selected in April, and received product in September.

            Life happens - even if you were to get an item 2-weeks after getting
            selected, something can come up (loss of job, family crisis,
            accident, school pressure, etc). If you can't test the gear, give
            someone a heads-up ASAP.

            > I realize that the manufacturers are providing the gear for free
            > and sometimes delays are unavoidable, but I was just curious if we
            > have some standard timeframe during which we can reasonably expect
            > to receive gear.

            No. Sorry. We'd all love to have a concrete schedule. But it's out
            of our hands.

            > My point isn't to whine about this, but simply to be better
            > informed when writing new applications since I had not experienced
            > this much delay during previous tests.
            >
            > Any insight?

            Yeah - when I write an app, I figure conservatively - two weeks for
            tester selection, two weeks on the vendor to ship, and two weeks for
            me to receive the item. So, even though the test schedule is for
            four-months, I always plan my FR starting two-mos later than my app
            post date, and the LTR extending 6-mos from the post date. Then I
            add another two-months of trips into the app on top of that, to
            account for delays.
          • Roger Caffin
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
              > Everyone gets stuck with a "delayed" test eventually. Some of us get
              > lucky and it takes a few years, and for others it's on their FIRST
              > test.

              Jennifer: don't think that you are the only one...
              The first Test I was selected (years ago) for was a WM down Flight Jacket. It never shipped.
              I was selected (half a year ago) for the Scarpa GTX shoes: mine never shipped.
              I was recently selected for the Bozeman Cocoon: we are still waiting several months later
              I was recently selected for the Benchmade 530: we are still waiting ...
              I was recently selected for the Gerber Triode: we are still waiting ...
              I was recently selected for the Vermont Darn Tough socks: we are still waiting ...
              In fact, currently I have no active tests!

              So, things happen. Just keep applying, and may the gods smile one day :-)
              Don't worry: the Mods know about this, and will take all things into account.

              Cheers
              Roger Caffin
              (The Optimist)
            • Jennifer
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
                Thanks for the information everyone. I figured it must happen now and then but I just
                needed an idea of how often. I will definitely plan more of a buffer into my future apps.

                Anticipating new gear,
                Jenny :)

                --- In backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Caffin" <r.caffin@a...> wrote:

                > > Everyone gets stuck with a "delayed" test eventually. Some of us get
                > > lucky and it takes a few years, and for others it's on their FIRST
                > > test.
                >
                > Jennifer: don't think that you are the only one...
                > The first Test I was selected (years ago) for was a WM down Flight Jacket. It never
                shipped.
                > I was selected (half a year ago) for the Scarpa GTX shoes: mine never shipped.
                > I was recently selected for the Bozeman Cocoon: we are still waiting several months later
                > I was recently selected for the Benchmade 530: we are still waiting ...
                > I was recently selected for the Gerber Triode: we are still waiting ...
                > I was recently selected for the Vermont Darn Tough socks: we are still waiting ...
                > In fact, currently I have no active tests!
                >
                > So, things happen. Just keep applying, and may the gods smile one day :-)
                > Don't worry: the Mods know about this, and will take all things into account.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Roger Caffin
                > (The Optimist)

              • Andy Mytys
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 1, 2005
                  <jensmail78@y...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for the information everyone. I figured it must happen now
                  > and then but I just needed an idea of how often. I will definitely
                  > plan more of a buffer into my future apps.
                  >
                  > Anticipating new gear,
                  > Jenny :)

                  Jen,

                  Outdoor Research has an excellent reputation of turning product over to
                  BGT testers FAST. So, if you were to apply for that Rando Cap and get
                  picked... :)