78399Application – Gregory Z35 Pack- David Wilke s

  • david wilkes
    May 14 7:16 PM
      Disclaimer
      Please accept my application. My signed tester agreement is on file, I have read BackpackGearTest Survival Guide, version 0609, as well as the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws, and I intend to meet or exceed all test and reporting requirements.

      Bio
      Biographical Information
      Name: David Wilkes
      E-Mail:
      amatbrewer@...
      Age: 47
      Location: Yakima Washington USA
      Gender: M
      Height: 5' 11" (1.80 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)

      I started backpacking in 1995 when I moved to Washington State. Since then, I
      have backpacked in all seasons and conditions and do most of my backpacking alone in the Washington Cascades. I prefer trips on rugged trails with plenty of elevation gain. My basic overnight pack is around 30 lbs (14 kg), not including consumables.

      Product Relevant Information
      I had the pleasure of testing the Gregory Z25 Men’s pack in 2009 (http://tinyurl.com/7taqpf), which I continue to use, and so there is no way I could pass up applying for this one.

      In addition the normal considerations when testing a day pack, I am very interested to see what improvements they have made upon their ’09 design. I plan to focus on day trips this spring and early summer in an effort to get out more often and improve my conditioning while trying to overcome a chronic problem with my Achilles heel, the result of an injury a few years ago, that resulted in me not summiting on my last two Mt Adams climbs. So on my day trips I plan to carry more weight than I normally would.

      I am scheduled for Crosscut Saw training with the Pacific Crest Trail Association to renew my certification in preparation for this year’s trail maintenance trips. This is a 2 day training with at least one full day of field work from a base camp, if selected I would use this pack to carry all my gear for that trip. In addition to my normal day pack load, for this training I would be required to carry additional tools, equipment, extra water (it can be hard work), and I will probably be the first aid lead so would be carrying the group first aid kit as well.

      If selected for this test I would plan to use this pack for all my day hikes, this would include any one-day PCT trail maintenance trips I join. Based upon my experience with the Z25 I doubt it would be suitable as a summit pack for this year’s Mt Adams climb (the Z25 simply does not pack down small enough when empty to carry in my overnight pack), but I would want to see the pack before making that decision.

      Previous Tests/OR’s

      Tester status page

      OR’s in last 12 Months
      None

      Ongoing Tests
      NONE

      Pending Applications
      NONE

      Other BGT duties
      Test Monitor – One active test: Selk'bag Patagon

      Thank you for your consideration!