78383IR - Fugoo Bluetooth Wireless Speaker - John Waters

  • BySky Admin
    May 13, 2014

      Larry,

      Between traveling and the flu, I’m really behind but slowly catching up.

      Below is my belated IR for the Fugoo.  The HTML can be seen at:  http://tinyurl.com/l9lkrwx

      Thanks in advance for your comments and edits.

      John Waters

      FUGOO SPORT BLUETOOTH WIRELESS SPEAKER

      TEST SERIES BY JOHN R. WATERS

      IR

      May 13, 2014

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: John R. Waters

      EMAIL: jrw at backpackgeartest dot org

      AGE: 65

      LOCATION: Canon City, Colorado USA

      GENDER: M

      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)

      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      My backpacking began in 1999.  I have hiked rainforests in Hawaii, Costa Rica, and Puerto Rico, glaciers in New Zealand and Iceland, 14ers in Colorado and Death Valley's deserts.

      I hike or snowshoe 6-8 miles (10 km-13 km) 2-3 times weekly in the Cooper Mountain range, with other day-long hikes on various other southwest and central Colorado trails.  I frequently hike the mountains and deserts of Utah and Arizona as well.

      My daypack is 18 lb (8 kg); overnights' weigh over 25 lb (11 kg).  I'm aiming to reduce my weight load by 40% or more.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: Fugoo Corporation

      Year of Manufacture:  2014

      Manufacturer's Website: http://www.fugoo.com

      MSRP: US $199.99 (core & jacket)

      Listed Weight: 1.1 lb (519 g)

      Measured Weight: 1.3 lb  (567 g)

      Listed Size:  2.3" x 7.4" x 2.9" (59 x 187 x 73 mm)

      Other details: <em>(from Manufacturer's website and promotional materials

      TECHNICAL SPECS

      AUDIO QUALITY

      *  Six proprietary, custom-designed acoustic drivers:

      *  Two 28mm neodymium tweeters

      *  Two 39mm neodymium aluminum domed mid/woofers

      *  Two 43mm x 54mm passive radiators

      *  Drivers face all directions, with an 8-degree upward tilt for better dispersion

      *  Sound Pressure Level (SPL-A): 95dB @ 0.5 meters

      *  Full Range Frequency Response: 60Hz - 20KHz

      *  Supports aptX® codec for high-quality Bluetooth stereo sound

      CONNECTIVITY

      *  Bluetooth 4.0 for wireless connectivity up to 33 feet

      *  Bluetooth Low Energy for remote control

      *  Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP 1.4) enables control from your audio device and the optional Remote Control.

      *  Other Profiles: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.3, Hands-Free Profile (HFP) 1.6, Headset Profile (HSP) 1.2

      *  3.5mm stereo input for wired connection

      *  Micro-USB for charging and updates

      MICROPHONE

      *  Omnidirectional microphone with echo cancellation

      *  Full-duplex capable in speakerphone mode

      *  Digital Signal Processor for wind and background noise reduction

      UPDATE SOFTWARE COMPATIBILITY

      *  Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, XP

      ENVIRONMENTAL

      *  Operating Temp: 14° - 131° F (-10° - 55° C)

      *  Storage Temp: -40° - 158° F (-40° - 70° C)

      *  IP67 Rated: Dustproof and waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes

      *  Other Profiles: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.3, Hands-Free Profile (HFP) 1.6, Headset Profile (HSP) 1.2

      *  3.5mm stereo input for wired connection

      *  Micro-USB for charging and updates

      POWER

      *  Up to 40 hours continuous play at 50% loudness

      *  Built-in Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery

      *  Charged via USB or international AC Adapter (included)

      *  Battery life displayed on supported devices

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      As luck would have it, the day I received my Fugoo Sport Bluetooth Wireless Speaker, I knew I had to go on a business trip out of town the very next day. Even though I really didn't have the time, the Fugoo was "calling" me because of its unique packaging. I just had to stop what I was doing, open it and check it out.

      Fugoo packages their speakers in a very nice clear plastic retail package. Instructions are on an insert card and included on a USB flash drive (an 8 GB one to boot).  There is a lot of product information.

      This very attractive speaker, the Sport version, in black and teal is small and light-weight.

      The little guy is IP67 rated (an IP number is used to specify the environmental protection of enclosures around electronic equipment). For IP67, the 6 signifies totally protected against dust and the 7 signifies protection against immersion up to 3.3 ft (1 m) for 30 minutes.

      Operating temp is specified to be from 14 to 131 F (-10 to 55 C)

      The unit has TWO Neodymium tweeters (for high frequency sounds) and two Neodymium woofers (for lower frequency sounds). Neodymium is a light-weight magnetic compound used in newer ribbon tweeters and does not affect alien beings as far as we know.

      There are two PASSIVE radiators as well. These are like a speaker without a magnetic driver. They look like a speaker cone but are not actively driven and are moved by the sound waves generated by the active speakers. They can be tuned to eliminate turbulence in small enclosures and reduce motion compression in small enclosures like the Fugoo. They add more cost than just a standard reflex port found in less expensive speakers and add to the ability for the designer to offer a more quality sound in smaller enclosures.

      The box offers almost 360 degree sound waves at equal levels and up to 95 db of sound at 1.5 ft (0.5 m). FYI that is roughly the same as a jackhammer at 50 ft (15 m) and is the level at which sustained exposure may result in hearing loss. In fact, this little guy has 3 watts of audio power per channel. A lot of LED TV sets only put out 5 watts per channel. With a frequency response of 60 hz to 20K hz, the high end is superbly beyond the range of most humans but the low end does not reach down into floor vibrating waves. However, to get down into base I can move furniture with, I would need huge subwoofers. 60 hz is really quite a good spec for a box this size. I'm anxious to hear it under various conditions.

      Battery life is specified at up to 40 hours at 50% loudness (more sound, more power used).

      I do have to tell about the first time I hooked it up to charge it from the included AC powered wall wart charger. I didn't know yet that the thing TALKS. So I'm charging and playing music in my office and I turn it off and go to bed. About 3 AM I hear this voice telling me "THE BATTERY IS LOW".  This continues every so often until I finally hear, "BATTERY POWER IS LOW. SHUTTING DOWN".  Then a little jingle plays and the Fugoo turns itself off. The voice was loud! And it is a guy's voice, which is a pleasant change after being so beat up by my cellphone's GPS gal so often for making a wrong turn.

      The volume controls are LARGE + and - raised characters/buttons on the top of the unit. The power up/down and Bluetooth buttons are on one side and the power charging mini-USB and 3.5 mm audio jack are on the other. When I push the power button, Mr. Fugoo tells me "Powering on" and plays a musical sequence. There is a lighted LED vertical line between the power and Bluetooth buttons to signify charging (green) and low power (red).

      The unit has Bluetooth wireless connectivity spec'd out at up to 33 ft (10 m), but my first connection went from my office through 2 stucco exterior walls for about 43 ft (13 m) with no problem at all. I'll do a full out test on Bluetooth's distance, battery life, sound quality, charging time and more in my field review.

      The unit even has a microphone for full-duplex speakerphone use that I am very anxious to try. It is supposed to connect to my cellphone the same way my car Bluetooth does and allow me to hike and bike hands-free.

      The Fugoo can be customized with different "jackets" that encase the unit. I have the Sports jacket and there is also a "tough" jacket available as well. Fugoo indicates they will be releasing more jackets later this year. In the field trial I'll mess around with taking the jacket off and putting it back on.  The unit can be purchased without a jacket.

      I've been playing with it now in my office to learn how to use it and I am finding it quite impressive. The USB charging cord that came with the unit has a bad connector at the end that plugs into the charger (or any regular USB port), so I had to use one of my own otherwise the unit stops charging. I like the cords though. Both the USB cord (USB to Mini-USB on the Fugoo) and the 3.5 mm audio jack cable for hard wiring the unit are flexible rubberized cords and can be very nicely coiled up

      SUMMARY

      My initial summary is, yes, this may be a winner of a small footprint speaker. My only concern is the weight. We'll take it out on some multi-day trips and we'll use solar power to charge it also. It'll get plenty of play time. As far as dust (that IP67 spec), it'll get a nice test when we spend a few nights at the Great Sand Dunes in June. Of course, out here in the high desert, dust is a way of life, so I'll set it outside for a few days and leave it in the rain and in the high altitude sunshine at 100 F (38 C). This should be an interesting field review.

      Thanks you to BackpackGearTest.org and to Fugoo for the opportunity to try out such a unique product.  Please check back in late June to see how the Fugoo fares in the dust and heat of a Colorado summer.

      John R. Waters

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic