78324APPLICATON-MONTBELL DOWN HUGGER-STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    May 6 5:02 PM

      1.     Please accept my application to test MontBell Down Hugger 800 #3. I have read the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609, including Chapter 5 and 6, and agree to comply with all requirements. My Tester Agreement is on file.

      2.     NAME: Steven M. Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 41
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee, USA
      GENDER: Male
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 183 lb (85 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25 years. I
      backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties,
      while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). I now average less than 20 lbs (9
      kg) in the backcountry.

      3.     Test Plan: I’ve just relocated from Tennessee to Indiana and I’m looking forward to getting outside as soon as possible.  I’m historically a hammock camper, but until I get the lay of the land and can find my way out of the corn stalks I foresee myself dwelling on the ground.  I interested to see if the Super Spiral bias cut will be both comfortable and warm?  My biggest frustration with a mummy bag is the claustrophobia.  The elastic and the bias cut appear to allow for a comfortable slumber, but will it keep me warm?  If the test pushes on into the shoulder months of the fall in Indiana how warm will it keep me? I’m typically a ‘warm’ sleeper and I like to push my gear to the limit.  I’ve taken a similarly rated bag to freezing.  Will this one give me the same comfort?  A roughly 1 pound bag appears to be amazing if it will really work.  Give me the opportunity and I’ll let the public know!  Finally I’m a lefty, so I can give a review on a Right Zip bag if one is available to test!

      4.       Current Test Load: MontBell Versalite Series (Jacket and Pants) --  LTR due 13 May.  Apex Water Bottles – Waiting to Arrive

      Test Status Page:  http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1880.htm

      5.     OR’s Completed in Last Year: 5 (maybe more…?) -- Previous Tests/OR’s:  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ftroop94

      6.       Outstanding Applications:  None

      7.        BGT Roles: Monitor

      Thanks for considering my application. Steve Kidd – 5-6-2014