      Testing Size:  Regular
      Date: May 5, 2014

      Backpacking background: I have been backpacking for eight years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with two or more 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight is usually 26-30 lb (13-14 kg) depending on the need for a bear canister.  I converted to a tarp, bivy and quilt sleeping system solo trips this past summer but still share a tent if a partner is on the trip.  I have experienced all night rain, hail, lightening, heavy winds, camping in snow, but mostly fair weather.

      Test Plan

      I have three week long backpacking trips planned this summer to Yosemite and the nearby Sierras.  The rest of the weekends are filled with three day backpacking trips starting last weekend in Joshua Tree, San Gorgonio and the Sierras.  This test will be in the summer which is the perfect opportunity to test the warmth rating, spiral fit characteristics, compressibility, durability and light weight of the Down Hugger.  I will use it in conjunction with my bivy, tarp or tarptent depending on the trip.  I will easily meet the minimum use requirements.

      Current Tests

      Chaco Mid-Waterproof boots-IR posted 4/30/14

      Test Status Page

      Owner Reviews

      4 in the last 12 months

      Outstanding Applications

      Granite Gear Long Sleeve Shirt

      BGT roles

      Many thanks to Montbell and BackpackGearTest for their consideration

      Frances Penn