77135LTR OPTIC NERVE DEDISSE SUNGLASSES-Frances Penn

  • oldhikergirl
    Nov 7, 2013

      http://tinyurl.com/mvzag8r

      OPTIC NERVE DEDISSE SUNGLASSES
      TEST SERIES BY FRANCES PENN
      LTR
      November 12, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Frances Penn
      EMAIL: oldhikergirl AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 57
      LOCATION: Santa Ana, California
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have been backpacking for six years mostly on long weekends in Southern California with two or more 5-day trips per year in the Sierras. My total daypack weight, including food and water, is usually 15 lb (7 kg) and my total backpack weight, including food and water, is usually 26-30 lb (12-14 kg) depending on the need for a bear canister.  I have recently converted to a tarp, bivy and quilt sleeping system instead of a tent. I have experienced all night rain, hail, heavy winds, camping in snow once, but mostly fair weather.

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Trip # 1:
      Location:  Cottonwood Lakes area by Mt. Langley, California USA
      Elevation:  11,100 ft (3,400 M)
      Trip Duration:  3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions:  dirt forest trail with some rocky portions and off trail portions
      Temperatures:  40 to 60 F (4-33 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with one afternoon rain storm that produced pea sized hail for 5 hours, cool nights

      Trip #2:
      Location:  Big Basin Redwoods State Park/Skyline to Sea Trail, California USA
      Elevation: 1,700 ft (518 M)
      Trip Duration: 3 days, 2 nights
      Trail Conditions:  dirt forest trail with some steep rocky portions
      Temperatures:  50 to 70 F (10-21 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with cool nights

      Trip #3:
      Location: Glen Aulin High Sierra Camp, Yosemite National Park, California, USA
      Elevation:  8,000 ft (2,400 M)
      Trip Duration:  7 days, 6 nights
      Trail Conditions:  dirt forest trail with some steep rocky portions
      Temperatures:  50 to 80 F (10-26 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with two afternoon rain storms, cool nights

      Trip #4:
      Location:  South Lake Trailhead to Bishop Pass, California, USA
      Elevation:  12,000 ft (3,600 M )
      Trip Duration:  2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions:   dirt trail with a lot of steep rocky sections
      Temperatures:  50 to 75 F (10-24 C)
      Weather:  cool and windy mornings with sunny afternoons

      Trip #5:
      Location:  Cottonwood Lakes area by Mt. Langley, California USA
      Elevation:  11,100 ft (3,400 M)
      Trip Duration:  7 days, 6 nights
      Trail Conditions:  dirt forest trail with some rocky portions and off trail portions
      Temperatures:  40 to 60 F (4-33 C)
      Weather:  mostly sunny with 3 cloudy days and one afternoon of rain

      Trip #6:
      Location:  San Jacinto State Park, California USA
      Elevation:  10,860 ft ( 3,310 M)
      Trip Duration:  2 days, 1 night
      Trail Conditions:  dirt forest trail with some rocky portions with small snow patches
      Temperatures:  35 to 60 F (1-33 C)
      Weather:  mostlly sunny with wind during the night

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      With more practice, I have become adept at changing the lenses.  I really like how the gray lenses are dark but not so dark as to obscure my vision as the light becomes slightly darker.  When the light becomes overcast or cloudy, I can easily change the lenses on a quick break.  When we climbed Cirque Peak on the second Cottonwood Lakes trip, the light in the morning was sunny so I selected the gray lenses.  When we were at the top taking a break, the weather changed to cloudy and overcast.  I changed to the copper lenses and was surprised at how clear my vision appeared.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1"  IMAGE CAPTION = "grey lenses">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "copper lenses">>

      The venting on the sunglasses has been a disappointment.  Since the bottom of the right lens rests on my cheek, the right lens tends to fog from the bottom up under heavy exertion and in warmer weather.  I am not sure why only the right lens comes into contact with my face.  Maybe my ears are not exactly the same height.  The left lens will fog on occasion, but not nearly as often as the right lens.

      As an experiment, I wore my fleece beanie during an evening walk around camp and I placed it over the vent holes to see if this would affect the venting.  I then moved the hat further back on my head so it was not blocking the vent holes on the sides of the sunglasses.  The glasses did not fog with the hat in both places, perhaps due to the cooler temperature.

      I am very happy with the flexibility of the frames and the lenses.  The flexibility relieves the worry that the sunglasses may break when stuffed into a full pocket in my pack.  It also makes them easy to put on with one hand.

      These sunglasses are lighter weight and more streamlined than the pair I had previously been wearing.  They fit my face comfortably close and do not slide down my nose during periods of heavy exertion or perspiration.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "close fit on my face">>

      SUMMARY

      I have enjoyed this test.  I almost forget I am wearing these sunglasses they are so light and comfortable.  Both lenses provide very clear vision with enough shading to protect my eyes in the bright sunlight.  I will continue to use these sunglasses on my future trips.

      This testing series is now concluded.  Thank you to Optic Nerve and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test these lightweight, flexible, vented, sport minded sunglasses.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic