77132APPLICATION:MONTBELL VERSALITE:STEVE KIDD
- Nov 7 9:01 AM
1. Please accept my application to test the Montbell Versalite Series I have read the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609, including Chapter 5 and 6, and agree to comply with all requirements. My Tester Agreement is on file.
2. NAME: Steven M. Kidd
LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee, USA
HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
WEIGHT: 183 lb (85 kg)
Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25 years. I
backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties,
while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). I now average less than 20 lbs (9
kg) in the backcountry.
3. Test Plan: Lightweight is how I roll, so the Montbell Versalite Series appears to be right up my alley. However, when it comes to rain gear I never think I should sacrifice weight savings for functionality. Montbell suggests this sub-11 oz (312 g) complete setup is ideal for summer use. How will it handle a winter’s test? The draw-cords, cuffs and articulated arms on the jacket are all appealing, but it is the pit vents I truly lust after for use in the piney woods. My current raincoat is sans-vents and as light as it is, I can create a rain forest environment inside the article from mere perspiration. However, will the superlight 15-D material hold up to multiple-day wet trips I often experience in the fall/winter of the Tennessee mountainous regions? My key question with the pants is whether or not they will be uber-long for this shorter fellow? I hope answer all these and more experiences for the reader over the coming months. Thank you for considering my application.
4. Current Test Load: Tilley Camo Hat (LTR due 12/10/13), SOTO WindMaster (FR due 11/12/13)
Test Status Page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1880.htm
5. OR’s Completed in Last Year: 5 (maybe more…?) -- Previous Tests/OR’s: http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ftroop94
6. Outstanding Applications: None
7. BGT Roles: Monitor
Thanks for considering my application. Steve Kidd – 11-07-2013
- Next post in topic >>