  • ftroop94
    Nov 7 9:01 AM

      1.     Please accept my application to test the Montbell Versalite Series I have read the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609, including Chapter 5 and 6, and agree to comply with all requirements. My Tester Agreement is on file.

      2.     NAME: Steven M. Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 41
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee, USA
      GENDER: Male
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 183 lb (85 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25 years. I
      backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties,
      while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). I now average less than 20 lbs (9
      kg) in the backcountry.

      3.     Test Plan: Lightweight is how I roll, so the Montbell Versalite Series appears to be right up my alley.  However, when it comes to rain gear I never think I should sacrifice weight savings for functionality.  Montbell suggests this sub-11 oz (312 g) complete setup is ideal for summer use.  How will it handle a winter’s test?  The draw-cords, cuffs and articulated arms on the jacket are all appealing, but it is the pit vents I truly lust after for use in the piney woods.  My current raincoat is sans-vents and as light as it is, I can create a rain forest environment inside the article from mere perspiration.  However, will the superlight 15-D material hold up to multiple-day wet trips I often experience in the fall/winter of the Tennessee mountainous regions?  My key question with the pants is whether or not they will be uber-long for this shorter fellow?  I hope answer all these and more experiences for the reader over the coming months.    Thank you for considering my application.

      4.       Current Test Load: Tilley Camo Hat (LTR due 12/10/13), SOTO WindMaster (FR due 11/12/13)

      Test Status Page:  http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1880.htm

      5.     OR’s Completed in Last Year: 5 (maybe more…?) -- Previous Tests/OR’s:  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ftroop94

      6.       Outstanding Applications:  None

      7.        BGT Roles: Monitor

      Thanks for considering my application. Steve Kidd – 11-07-2013

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic