77131APPLICATION:MONTBELL PLASMA:STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    Nov 7, 2013

      1.     Please accept my application to test the Montbell Plasma I have read the BackpackGearTest.org Bylaws v. 0609, including Chapter 5 and 6, and agree to comply with all requirements. My Tester Agreement is on file.

      2.     NAME: Steven M. Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 41
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee, USA
      GENDER: Male
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 183 lb (85 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25 years. I
      backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties,
      while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). I now average less than 20 lbs (9
      kg) in the backcountry.

      3.     Test Plan: I love lightweight gear, and I normally wouldn’t even consider adding a zippered down article to my current setup, but a 4.8 oz (136 g) jacket it too light to forego trying.  I’ve worn the Montbell EX series in the past (in a vest), so this evolution appears right up my alley.  However, a 7-D nylon?  Could I even consider wearing it without an over-layer?  How durable is this super-thin material?  Also, will the 1.6 oz (45 g) of fill keep me warm in the windy subfreezing conditions in the Tennessee mountains that I backpack? Give me a chance to test it and I’ll let the reader know. Thank you for considering my application.

      4.       Current Test Load: Tilley Camo Hat (LTR due 12/10/13), SOTO WindMaster (FR due 11/12/13)

      Test Status Page:  http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1880.htm

      5.     OR’s Completed in Last Year: 5 (maybe more…?) -- Previous Tests/OR’s:  http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/ftroop94

      6.       Outstanding Applications:  Montbell Versalite

      7.        BGT Roles: Monitor

      *****Test Managers, if I can only be approved for either the Plasma or the Versalite, I prefer the Versalite.

      Thanks for considering my application. Steve Kidd – 11-07-2013