      From: Jlee Snow <never2muchstuff@...>
      To: "backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com" <backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:34 PM
      Subject: [backpackgeartesters] IR - Oboz Bridger backpacking boots; Joe Schaffer

      On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:09 PM, Jlee Snow <never2muchstuff@...> wrote:
      Warning: file() [function.file]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/backpac1/backpackgeartest.org/folder.php on line 1068Warning: implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed in /home/backpac1/backpackgeartest.org/folder.php on line 1068 ERROR: Your report contained no <BODY> tags. Unable to upload.

      I get the above when trying to upload the (Kompozer-generated) file. There are body tags in the file; no idea what the others mean. Seems I'm doing the same protocol as several months ago when I last successfully uploaded. Any help from anyone would be appreciated; have posted to help file.

      Richard, I hope this is better than nothing until the above gets resolved.

      Oboz Bridger hiking boots  INITIAL REVIEW by Joe Schaffer  November 1, 2013 author REVIEWER INFORMATION: NAME: Joe Schaffer EMAIL: never2muchstuff(at)yahoo(dot)com AGE: 65 GENDER: Male HEIGHT: 5'9" (1.75 m) WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.4 kg) HOME:  Hayward, California USA     I frequent California's central Sierras, camping every month; up to 95 nights a year; about half the time solo; moving nearly every day.  As a comfort camper I lug tent, mattress, chair, etc. Summer trips last typically a week to 10 days; 40 lb (18 kg), about half food-related; about 5 miles (8 km) per hiking day. I winter camp most often at 6,000' to 7,000' (1,800 to 2,100 m); 2 to 3 nights; 55 lb (25 kg); 1 to 4 miles (1.5 to 6 km) on snowshoes. I work occasionally at an outdoor store. The Product:             Bridger Boundary backpacking boots                        Manufacturer:             Oboz             Web site: www.obozfootwear.com                  Received: 10/30/2013 My boots: M9             Weight:    L: 1 lb 4.375 oz (578 g)                             R: 1 lb 3.75 oz (559 g)                             Pr: 2 lb 8 oz (1,137 g)                  Factory specs not found Oboz Bridger boundary BootsProduct Description: (edited from a vendor website and a magazine blurb) Waterproof nubuck leather uppers.         BDry™ waterproof, breathable membranes. Nylon mesh linings. BFit Deluxe quality footbeds. Dual-density EVA midsoles. Nylon shanks and thermoplastic urethane forefoot plates. Rubber randing on toes and heels. High-friction, nonmarking rubber outsoles. Toothy side lugs and 1/6th" (4mm) directional lugs underfoot. 17 rows of stitching on each side of boot. 6 pair of eyes for lacing. Observations:     Me feets at the moment are saying I've asked a bit much of 'em to spend any quality time in a brand new pair of boots following a 13 mile (21 km) snow trek out of an unexpected Sierra weather blip that put down a foot (.3 m) of powder at 8,000' (2,400 m).  I've worn them in the house for a couple of hours; 3 mile (5 k) hike on the street; and will see how they feel all day at work for a couple days.     These boots look like they bridge the gap between hikers and traditional, heavier backpackers. The boots feel so incredibly light as to make me wonder if they can have the kind of lateral support and rubble isolation I prefer. If they prove so, they'll be a huge advantage over the clunkier models I've come to rely on.     There seems an awful lot of stitching in the leather, indicating a tremendous amount of confidence in the liner. My experience with waterproof breathable liners does not cause me to share that confidence.     The boots are the right length and width for me and feel good in those dimensions. I typically wear a 9W and these are 9. The toe box is tight across the top, particularly over the base knuckle of my big toe, which may be easing as the leather wears in to shape; or may have to be stretched. I started off with no blisters, notwithstanding the above, and oddly enough the outside corner of my right (shorter) foot initially reported a developing hot spot. Lacing differently and a sock change may have resolved this. I've probably had them on for a total of about 12 hours and the comfort level continues to increase.     The heel underbite makes for a perfect strike and wonderfully smooth stride. However, as a pronounced pronator I'd like to see a wider heel platform and stiffer sidewalls over the ankle.     The stock footbed may be the best I've seen. It seems the recent strategy in bootwear is to assume the customer will buy aftermarkets anyway. These have real structure to support the longitudinal arch; and the meaty part of my heel and keep it from squishing as much into the side of the shoe.     Suspension offers a slight bit of cushioning, nothing spongey. I've not yet put any weight on them as I can't bring myself to carry a loaded backpack in the house or on a city street.     Laces appear to be made to last the life of the boot; and fat enough for a firm grip. Two pairs of webbing eyes start off at the toe end, leading to two pair of metal eyes on rivets; then a pair of webbing eyes at about the crease of the ankle; and finally metal hooks at the top. The loops at the toe end are OK. The next two pair of metal eyes allow the laces to slip through without undue resistance, but I'd probably prefer open hooks for speed and ease of opening the boot enough to get feet out, and especially in. I'm thinking if I've been hiking in the snow, laces might be frozen along with fingers that won't work well to coax the laces through any kind of closed eye.  The ankle loop seems interesting; set low enough to pull the heel toward the ankle crease, and I find the laces pull easily enough through these loops. With open hooks in this area I sometimes find that exhaustion occasionally leads to a collision between open hooks that have a time or two managed to connect and cause a very sudden trip toward earth. That can't happen with webbing loops. The top eyes must be open hooks to suit me, and the Bridgers accommodate that personal requirement.     I like the aggressive look of the tread and look forward to discovering if the composition and deep design will leave me hanging on the granite or sliding down the slippery slope.  I would design the tread a bit differently at the outside of the heel where there is a groove large enough to lose my little finger. The void exacerbates my earlier noted concern regarding pronation resistance. If I turn an ankle around the house or at work, I'll put a dollop of shoe goo in there to see if that helps.     They smell good. I say this because I had occasion to test a pair of boots from a big name manufacturer that immediately wafted of cat box. Bridger really quick shots:     a) Light     b) Slow lacing
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic