      From: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of agirenkov@...
      Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 10:58 AM
      To: backpackgeartesters@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [backpackgeartesters] LTR: Helly Hansen Odin Traverse Pants - Andrei Girenkov

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      In the past three months I have worn the pants on a few day hikes and a few weekend trips.  The total amount traveled has been around 10 days in the field, the distance hiked being around 50 miles (80 km).  I spend my summer weekends at a seasonal cabin in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania, so most of these have been day hikes with my family to the surrounding areas:

      Tobyhanna State Park, PA

      Gouldsboro State Park, PA

      Delaware State Forest, PA

      Worthington State Forest (AKA Delaware Water Gap), NJ

      Bushkill Falls, PA

      Harriman State Park, NY

      Bear Mountain State Park, ,NY

      I also went on overnight trips to the following places:

      Catskill Park, NY

      Adirondack State Park, NY

      Block Island, RI

      With the exception of Block Island, which was beach camping, the environment was very similar - 60-75 F (15-24 C).  Elevations of 0 - 2000 ft (0 - 600 m).  Mostly rocky terrain, deciduous trees, lots of undergrowth.  Walking with a child I generally tried to stick to overcast or sunny weather, but was caught by an unexpected shower a few times.

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      In the past I have worn convertible pants in the summer so I could make them into shorts when the weather gets too hot and the undergrowth not to scratchy.  This summer I stuck with the Traverse pants despite my earlier observations that they get uncomfortably warm above 60 F (15 C).  I tried to compensate for this by cinching them up into Capri pant mode as needed.

      Everything that I observed in my field review still holds true.  The pants are very tough, very well made, and basically waterproof unless I stepped into a creek.  After 3 months of use they don't show any new signs of wear and tear.  There are no loose threads or holes anywhere.

      I also still stand by my initial assessment that the Traverse pant is not made for summer weather.  It feels awkward in Capri mode, and too hot in long pant mode.  Now that October is almost upon us, I am looking forward to using them on fall foliage hikes.

      SUMMARY

      I like these pants a lot.  They are the highest quality made hiking pants that I've ever worn.  They will get a lot of use for fall and winter hiking.  However, they are too warm for summer use in moderate climates like continental United States.  For colder areas, and higher elevations they would get year-round use.

      Pros:  Good fit, high quality construction, tough materials, waterproof, stylish.

      Cons:  Cinch code mechanism is awkward.

      I would like to thank Helly Hansen and BackpackGearTest.org for providing me with the opportunity to test this product.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic