76861LTR: Helly Hansen Odin Traverse Pant - Mike Curry

  • the_fish_guy
    Sep 24, 2013
      Not much to add, but here it is.  HTML can be found at http://tinyurl.com/nq3y8rw

      Thanks in advance for the edits!

      Mike

      LONG-TERM REPORT

      LONG-TERM TEST LOCATIONS AND CONDITIONS

      Long term testing included an overnight trip in North Cascades National Park and two days hiking (one in the southern Cascade mountains and one in the Olympic mountains).  The pants also spent about a dozen days jostling around in my pack when the weather was too nice to wear them.  In addition, they were worn for a number of conditioning hikes and other activities to better assess long-term wear.

      Weather ranged from cool and clear to cool and rainy.  Temperatures ranged from 36 F (2 C) to about 60 F (16 C).

      PERFORMANCE IN THE FIELD

      There are no changes in performance to report during long term testing.  I still love the performance of the material and the design features (such as the side zips) but don't care for the fit.  The pants have proven to be more durable than I expected them to be.  Despite some pretty heavy use and being stuffed into my pack alongside sharp object (such as, on one occasion, my crampons!) they still look pretty new.  I would have to say the material strikes a good balance between weight and durability for my typical use.

      SUMMARY

      Overall, the Helly Hansen Odin Traverse Pant is a good looking, durable, and versatile garment.  I'm very pleased with the material and features, but the drop is a bit short for me, feeling more like low-rider jeans than I care for.

      CONTINUED USE

      I think the Helly Hansen Odin Traverse pant will probably see use for me again, but mostly on alpine climbs where I'll be wearing a harness.  The low waistline really drives me bonkers, but with a harness on it seems much more tolerable.  I definitely like their performance and long side zips enough they'll get used again.

      I would like to thank Helly Hansen and BackpackGearTest.org for the opportunity to test the Odin Traverse pant.  This concludes my report.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.