76290IR: Tilley Mash-Up Hat - Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Jul 17, 2013
      Hi Kerri,

      It's nice to 'see' you again.  I've posted my IR for the Tilley hat.  This is my first ever Tilley and I don't know why I thought they were made in Australia.  I guess that many of them have an outback look to them.  Anyway, here is the text and link.

      Thanks for taking a look and providing edits.  After tomorrow, I'll be OOP for a long weekend but will be back on Tuesday.

      Nancy

      http://tinyurl.com/nww3gu8

      TILLEY ENDURABLES MASH-UP HAT
      TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      IR
      July 17, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 47
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long.  I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and trekking poles.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Mash-Up">>Manufacturer: Tilley Endurables
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.tilley.com/" LINK TEXT = "http://www.tilley.com/">>
      MSRP: $84 US
      Listed Weight: 3.7 oz (105 g)
      Measured Weight: 4.2 oz (119 g)
      Removable Hat Band Weight: 0.6 oz (17 g)
      Color Tested: Grey Mix
      Size Tested: Small
      Other sizes available: Medium, Large, Extra Large
      My head size: 22 in (56 cm)
      Model TMH9
      Made in Canada

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      The Mash-Up hat is made from 70% recycled hemp and organic cotton yarns and 30% recycled organic cotton with water repellent finish.  So, the color is unique to each one but is basically a mixture of grey and white.  Mine shows a few flecks of red too.  As with all Tilley hats it is made to be worn down low on my head and slightly loose.  So the style of this one looks like a cross between an outback hat and a roaring 20's hat.  The downsloping brim is 3 in (8 cm) wide on the front and sides and 2-3/4 in (7 cm) on the back.
      The crown contains a disk of closed-cell polyethylene foam to allow the hat to float.  This feature has come in handy for me with another hat when it blew off into a lake!  The crown also has an interior pocket with a hook-and-loop closure.  Next to the pocket is a tag for marking my name and contact information in case I lose my hat (and someone wants to return it).
      There is an anti-sweat band which is supposed to wick away perspiration.  At either side of it is a loop to which is attached the wind cord.  The cord at first appears to be two times too long but that is because it is really a double loop.  One half of the cord straps around my chin and one stays at the back of my head sort of like the way that state troopers wear their hats.  The cord ends make a double knot which allows it to be adjustable to tighten the chin strap.
      There is a removable hat band of matching color and fabric which adds an extra flair of style.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS & TRYING IT OUT

      I've long wanted to try out a Tilley hat but have always thought that they just seem like too much hat for me (in cost, size and weight).  I have heard so many wonderful things and have great respect for a company that stands by their product with such gusto.  So I was excited to be selected to test my very own Tilley...and a very fashionable one at that.
      The Tilley website has a nice guide to selecting the correct size.  I used it and was exactly between a size Small and Medium so I just gave them the measurement and let them choose.  The Small size that was sent fits just fine.  I was a little surprised to see the hat come shipped in a very large box.  My husband accused the deliverer of bringing a box of steam.  I suppose this is the best way to protect the hat and preserve its shape during shipping though.
      My first impression of the hat was that it seems more fashionable than what I would normally wear for backpacking but heck I could surely use more trail fashion.  Next I felt like the hat is also heavier than what I would normally wear but it provides more sun protection so maybe that is worth it.  I was disappointed that it was heavier than advertised especially since I am testing the smallest size.  I was hoping to remove the hat band to reduce weight, but doing so only gets me very close to the advertised weight.
      When I tried it on it fit comfortably with it pulled down on my forehead.  The chin strap adjustment is simple but effective.  I don't see any mesh or ventilation grommets so I'm curious how well it will breathe when I get pumping up mountains.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      There is a lot of information that comes with the hat including an Owner's Manual which is generic to their cotton, hemp and nylon hats.  It explains how to tell which way is front (although with mine it is obvious with the hat band).  But I should be able to read the label upright inside the top of the hat as I'm putting in on.  There is an explanation about how to use the wind cord and how to re-tie it if it needs to be adjusted significantly.
      The washing instructions say to machine-wash it regularly on a delicate cycle, separately using warm or cool water and soap.  They say that I can also wash it by hand and never to use bleach.  While the hat is still damp it should be smoothed and reshaped by hand.  The directions printed inside the hat however say to hand-wash only using cool water and to wash frequently to prevent discoloration and air dry.
      The hat also comes with eight 'brag' tags which are meant to be distributed to folks who inquire about my hat.  The tags have contact information for Tilley and also some fun on them including the direction to the receiver to give a warm hug or to buy a drink for the hat owner.  We'll see if I get to cash in on that!
      The hat is insured against loss (seriously?!) for 50% of the value for two years.  So if I lose my hat within two years then they'll replace it at half the current retail price.  The most amazing guarantee is their offer to replace the hat if it ever wears out provided that it hasn't been bleached.  Wow!  That's a company that believes in the quality of their work.

      SUMMARY

      The Mash-Up hat is a high-quality well-made hat with an unbelievable lifetime guarantee to not wear out.
      Initial Likes:
      Fashionable
      High-quality
      Chin strap