75821IR-OSPREY VOLT 75-STEVE KIDD

  • ftroop94
    May 16, 2013
      With Bridget Down I don't know the monitor...but here is my IR to post! When I find the editor, I'll try to forward to your email! Let me know what to work on!

      ~SMK

      HTML:

      http://alturl.com/ub2bx

      OR

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR-OSPREY%20VOLT%2075-STEVE%20KIDD/

      TEXT:

      OSPREY VOLT 75
      TEST SERIES BY STEVEN M KIDD
      IR
      May 16, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Steven M Kidd
      EMAIL: ftroop94ATgmailDOTcom
      AGE: 40
      LOCATION: Franklin, Tennessee
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      WEIGHT: 173 lb (78.50 kg)

      Backpacking Background: I've been a backpacker on and off for over 25 years. I backpacked as a Boy Scout, and then again almost every month in my twenties, while packing an average weight of 50+ lbs (23+ kg). In the last several years I have become a hammock camping enthusiast. I generally go on one or two night outings that cover between 5 to 20 mi (8 - 32 km) distances. I try to keep the all-inclusive weight of my pack under 20 lb (9 kg) even in the winter.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 1" IMAGE CAPTION = "Image Courtesy of Opsrey Packs, Inc.">>
      Manufacturer: Osprey Packs, Inc.
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.ospreypacks.com/">>
      MSRP: US $199.00
      Listed Weight: 3 lb 12 oz (1.70 kg)
      Measured Weight: 3 lb 11 oz (1.67 kg)
      Volume: 4577 cu. in (75 L)
      Pack Dimensions (HxWxD): 33x13x29 in -- [83x33x29 cm]* -- (84x33x74 cm)**
      *Metric Dimensions Listed on the Osprey website which appear incorrect
      **Proper metric conversions for pack dimensions
      Available Colors: Stellar Blue, Fern Green (Testing Green)

      The Volt 75 is a pack in a new series produced by Osprey. Complementing this pack, the line includes the Volt 60, and two women's packs called the Viva 65 and Viva 50. The manufacturer suggests they may be used from weekend to weeklong excursions in both backpacking and mountaineering. Each pack series produced by Osprey appears to have a key feature that is highlighted. The Volt/Viva series explodes the "Integrated Custom Fit" feature.

      To further explain, the pack is offered in only one size, whereas many other Osprey series' come in the traditional small, medium and large sizes. The Integrated Custom Fit allows the Volt 75 to be adjusted up to 5 in (13 cm) for torso lengths ranging from 17 - 22 inches (43 - 56 cm). In addition the hip belt will fit a waist ranging from 28 - 44 in (71 - 112 cm) using a technology called Fit-on-the-Fly.

      The Volt offers more than a handful of other nice features. Each hip belt has a small zippered pocket for quick access to smaller items. The left pocket has the stylized Osprey emblem on it. The main pack bag has two ice axe loops and a stretchable mesh kangaroo pocket with an adjustable clip to secure it. This pocket has a large stylized Osprey logo on it that has a reflective nature. There are upper and lower compression straps on the outside of the pack bag that may be used to secure smaller loads and external items. There are three daisy chain loops on either side of the front of the main bag as well as a pair of paracord style attachment loops.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 5" IMAGE CAPTION = "A view of the External Hydration Sleeve">>
      The top lid of the pack floats with more compression straps for larger loads, and may be removed completely. This lid has both an external and internal zippered pocket for storing small gear. The external pocket has a key clip as well. The main pack bag has yet another compression strap on the inside, and the website notes it as a "Red" compression strap. The main pack has a large drawstring with a clip for closure and an internal divider for a sleeping bag compartment at the bottom. It may be strapped closed for a separate area or left open for one large bag. There is a half moon-shaped zipper for direct access to this lower area. The bottom of the pack bag has removable sleeping bag straps.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 6" IMAGE CAPTION = "Stow-on-the-Go">>
      There is a hydration sleeve on the back panel of the pack that is designed to simplify refilling a water reservoir. The company also states this protects the pack contents from spills. The main pack body does not have to be opened to access a bladder with this sleeve. Each side of the pack has mesh stretch pockets made with the same material as the kangaroo pocket. They have an opening at the top and on the side for quick access when wearing the pack.

      One final key highlight is the Stow-on-the-Go technology. It is a system designed to stow trekking poles on the fly without having to stop and remove the pack. As I wear the pack, the poles are stowed on the left side using an elasticized cord and lock on the shoulder harness and another cord at the bottom of the pack bag. There is a PVC protector around the cords to protect them from wear and tear. The image to the right, courtesy of Osprey shows the technology as deployed.

      FITTING THE PACK

      The torso size is changed by adjusting the shoulder harness up or down the packs main body. The harness is attached to the body with hook and loop and two LightWire rails on either side of the pack bag. Simply pull the hook and loop loose, and slide the harness up or down along the rails to a desired fit. The LightWire rails appear to be a wire frame covered with a clear polymer sheath. I believe these also add to the pack's frame stability as well. My torso size has typically fallen right on the cusp of a medium and large pack, so without pulling out the measuring tape I checked a few comfortable positions and ended up setting this to one notch above the {M}. In the end this corresponds to a 21 in (53 cm) setting as the reader may note on the image below and to the left, and it is about perfect for my frame.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2" IMAGE CAPTION = "Notice the LightWire and the Adjustable Harness">> <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3" IMAGE CAPTION = "The Hook and Loop Pulley Away to Show Available Sizing">>

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4" IMAGE CAPTION = "One Hip Fully Extended & Other in the Smallest Setting">>
      There are two key ways to adjust the hip belt; one being is the Fit-on-the-Fly method. This entails the padded portion on each side of the hip belt having the ability to extend up to 3 in (7.5 cm) for a total of 6 in (15 cm) of padded hip comfort and protection. Webbing secures the extended pads to the actual pack body and they are further secured using hook and loop technology. Secondly, the waist may be tightened by pulling or cinching it toward the body's center mass. Osprey calls this Ergo Pull. Simply put, the belt is fed from the waist clip through two plastic guides closer to the pack frame that allows for a pulley or lever type tightening system. At this point I don't believe I will need to adjust the Fit-on-the-Fly settings beyond their smallest placement, but if I begin to feel any discomfort on the trail I do like the ability to quickly adjust, and to be able to do so without removing the pack.

      My only concern with the Integrated Custom Fit on the Volt is the angle of the load lifter straps coming off the shoulder harness and onto the upper pack bag. Conventional wisdom and past tutorials from many outfitters have always suggested the load lifters creating roughly a 45 degree angle. As I have the pack set just above a medium setting this definitely changes this to closer to 65 - 70 degrees. This would be even more exaggerated for a person with a smaller torso. Time will tell if this affects the way the load is carried, and currently the fit feels great. The shoulder harness curves around my shoulder blades and the bag doesn't pull away from my body. I look forward to trail testing this concern under load in the ensuing months.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      My first impressions of the Osprey Volt 75 are generally impressive. The fact that it weighs in well under 4 lbs (~2 kg) for its size, and with the bells and whistles that accompany it impressed me from the outset.

      A few features from which I noticed an immediate benefit were the hydration sleeve and the Stow-on-the-Go system. For no reason other than the simplicity of refilling a reservoir on the go without having to dig into the pack bag impressed me. It certainly adds a minimal amount of weight over an internal pack pocket, but I'm intrigued by the concept. The manufacturer mentions protecting other gear from a spill, which it certainly would do, but even in this external sleeve I don't believe an all out bladder failure would keep the interior contents of a pack dry. I own an Osprey HdyraFrom reservoir already, so it should work perfectly with the Volt.

      A feature I'm already familiar with and that I absolutely love is the Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole storage system. I've had an Osprey Exos series pack in the past with this technology and it is very handy on the trail. If I'm on level terrain or don't wish to use my poles I can literally stow them away without ever stopping. I simply pull the cord at the base of the pack out a few inches and slip the tips of the poles in. I then I place the handles through the loop on the shoulder harness and cinch it tight with the cord lock and trek onward without missing a beat. The stock image earlier in the report shows them in use.

      I also like the external stretch mesh pockets on the Volt. The kangaroo pocket on the front of the pack is perfectly sized to hold rain gear and a pack cover for quick access if inclement weather arises. If I break camp with a wet tarp I can store it in this pocket without comprising the other gear in my pack. The side pockets are nicely sized as well and if I place a water bottle horizontally in either of these pockets I can actually reach back and grab it and...sometimes...return it. This is something many other packs aver, but I rarely have been able to actually accomplish without the aid of a buddy.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 7" IMAGE CAPTION = "Mesh Side Pocket">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 8" IMAGE CAPTION = "Entry Points to the Side Pocket">>

      These are a few first impressions that excite me about the pack. The quality appears superb and it's hard to beat the Osprey "All Mighty Guarantee" that basically states the will repair or replace any product in any era for any reason. That's tough beat!

      SUMMARY

      I'm impressed and excited to start field testing the Osprey Volt 75. The volume is quite a bit larger than I've carried recently, but I have two young children that have started to backpack with me over the last year and I can use the pack to carry some of the additional gear I need for them.
      As I've stated it appears to be a quality built product and I'm looking forward to getting a load in and out in the woods. In fact with much of my kids gear I can see myself closing in on the 50+ lb (23 kg) max load suggestion really soon and I look forward to reporting on it in the ensuing months.

      There are plenty of roses I see in the pack to include:

      *Pack Weight
      *Stow-on-the-Go
      *The hydration Sleeve
      *The side and kangaroo mesh pouches

      The only potential thorn I have with the pack is the angle the load lifters come off the shoulder harness onto the pack bag. Check back in approximately two months to see how these have worked out for me along with more detailed reviews on the adjustable torso and the Fit-on-the-Fly hip belt technology.

      I'd like to thank BackpackGearTest.org and Osprey Packs, Inc. for allowing me the opportunity to test the Volt 75.

      Copyright 2013. All rights reserved.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic