75714IR: Scarpa Rapid LT - Kara S

  • K S
    Apr 23, 2013
      Hi Mystery Monitor;

      The URL for my report is: http://tinyurl.com/arxtgxt and the text portion is below.

      Thanks in advance for your edits. Just an FYI I'm OOP until June 1st, so if you happen to return your edits early, I won't up-load the edited report until then.

      Kara S.
       ~~~

      SCARPA RAPID LT WOMEN'S
      TEST SERIES BY KARA STANLEY
      IR
      April 22, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Kara Stanley
      EMAIL: karguo (at) yahoo (dot) com
      AGE: 30
      LOCATION: Phoenix, Arizona
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      WEIGHT: 175 lb (79.40 kg)

      I have been hiking most of my life and backpacking since 2006. I have hiked mostly on the east coast, doing weekend trips in the Appalachian Mountains. Since moving to Arizona, my hikes have ranged from short desert hikes to overnight backpacking trips in the mountains. Recently I have taken up canyoneering and off-trail hiking/backpacking to spice things up. I currently use a solo non-free standing tent, canister stove, purification tabs, and lightweight trail runners, conditions permitting, to cut down on weight. My hikes are solo and range from an overnight trip to 4-5 nights on the trail.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer:  Scarpa
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.scarpa.com/" LINK TEXT = "http://www.scarpa.com">>
      MSRP: US$110
      Listed Weight: 269g; 9.5oz (1/2 pair size 38)
      Measured Weight: 11.2 oz per shoe (318 g) or 1 lb 6.4 oz  (635 g) a pair for US size 11/ EU Size 43
      Sizes: 36-43
      Upper: Suede, recycled synthetic leather, recycled polyester mesh
      Plate: H-EVA Plate
      Midsole: Compression Molded EVA
      Outsole: Speed Lite HDR
      Last: TR3/TRL3
      Color: Pewter/Raspberry

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 2"  IMAGE CAPTION = "The toe rand and heal loop">>I like the way these shoes look - the grey is a medium color accented with raspberry and light grey. I am a fan of dark colored shoes as they do not appear as dirty as light colored shoes after hiking muddy or dusty trails.

      The toe is covered with a one-piece rubber rand that has 5 pin-sized holes over the big toe area; I am guessing that they are for ventilation. The toe part of the shoe is all suede, which I am hoping will help to keep some of the dust of the Arizona trail out of them. The heel has a single pull loop at the back to help get the shoe one.  The shoe laces are oval with rounded, plastic coasted ends. The laces go through two loops on the tongue and 7 eyelets on each side. The 5 closest to the toe are holes that have stitching around them, like a button hole and the 2 closest to the ankle are metal.

      The bottom has lug-style sole, but the rubber feels softer then the soles of my hiking boots. According to the Scarpa website the sole is made from a "sticky rubber that inspires confidence when covering slabby or rocky terrain."

      TRYING IT OUT

      So far I have just worn the shoes around my house. I tried them on with mid-weight wool hiking socks since those are the heaviest socks I plan to wear during the test period and they still fit comfortably.  The shoes were comfortable and I could feel the cushioning under the heel.<<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 3"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Tread and side profile of the shoe">> The shoes feel very light-weight on. However, I did find the laces to be too short for my liking. As you can see from the picture, the bow made with the laces is small, as this is with a single knot.  I usually double-knot my shoes as they usually untie on me while hiking, but this is difficult with these shoes.

      TESTING STRATEGY

      I am heading out for a 3 day backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon, so I will have a chance to test the shoes out on desert canyon trails, which will contain rocks, sand, and water crossings.

      I also do a lot of off-trail hiking that involves boulder hopping and rock scrambling, so I will be interested in see how these shoes hold to that and if the sticky rubber soles provide added traction as advertised on the Scarpa website. I also hike on trails that cross water and often getting my shoes wet is unavoidable, so I wonder how these shoes will hold up to getting wet and muddy.

      There are also many types of cactus and other brush with spines and prickers, so I am interested to see if these shoes will protect my feet from being poked by a cactus or one of the many other Arizona prickle delights are crowd around the trails here.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "IMAGE 4"  IMAGE CAPTION = "A  AAA battery next to the bow to show the short laces.">>

      SUMMARY

      I am excited to test out these shoes and see how they do. They are light weight and look like they will prove protection for my feet while hiking.

      Check back in a month for my field review of the Scarpa Rapid LT shoes!

      Thank you to backpackgeartest.org and Scarpa for the chance to test out these shoes.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.