75331IR: GSI Outdoors Pack Kitchen 8- Nancy Griffith

  • Nancy Griffith
    Mar 16, 2013
      Hi Monitor TBD,

      I've posted my IR to the test folder here:
      http://tinyurl.com/ao7sygh

      The text is below.

      Thanks for the edits!

      Nancy

      GSI OUTDOORS PACK KITCHEN 8
      TEST SERIES BY NANCY GRIFFITH
      IR
      March 16, 2013

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Nancy Griffith
      EMAIL: bkpkrgirlATyahooDOTcom
      AGE: 46
      LOCATION: Northern California, USA
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 6" (1.68 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      My outdoor experience began in high school with involvement in a local canoeing/camping group called Canoe Trails.  The culmination was a 10-day canoe voyage through the Quebec wilds.  I've been backpacking since my college days in Pennsylvania.  I have completed all of the Appalachian Trail in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.  My typical trip now is in the Sierra Nevada in California and is from a few days to a week long.  I carry a light to mid-weight load, use a tent, stove and trekking poles.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Pack Kitchen 8"  IMAGE CAPTION = "Photo courtesy of GSI Outdoors">>Manufacturer: GSI Outdoors
      Year of Manufacture: 2013
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.gsioutdoors.com/" LINK TEXT = "http://www.gsioutdoors.com/">>
      MSRP: $16.95 US
      Listed Weight: 3.7oz (104 g)
      Measured Weight: 3.9 oz (110 g)
      Individual Weights:
      Spatula: 0.4 oz (11 g)
      Spoon: 0.5 oz (14 g)
      Towel: 0.5 oz (14 g)
      Scrubbing pad: 0.1 oz (3 g)
      Salt and Pepper shaker: 0.8 oz (23 g)
      Condiment bag: 0.3 oz (8 g) each
      Extra flip top: 0.1 oz (3 g) each
      Mesh bag: 0.8 oz (23 g)
      Made in China

      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Set with Bag">>The GSI Outdoors Pack Kitchen 8 is an 8-piece set (counting the bag) of backpacking kitchen gear.
      For cooking, there are a nylon spatula and cooking spoon each with a grip area of orange silicone on the handle.  The spoon is 7.4 in x 1.7 in x 1.0 in (19 cm x 4 cm x 3 cm) and the spatula is 7.1 in x 1.9 in x 0.8 in (18 cm x 5 cm x 2 cm).  The spoon is deep and holds quite a bit of liquid which I measured as nearly 2 tablespoons or 1 ounce (30 ml).  Both utensils have a small hook on the handle presumably for hanging them to dry.  The back sides of the handles have ridges for holding onto the rim of a pot.  There are pine tree designs in the working ends of the utensils.
      For condiment storage there are two collapsible 2 oz (60 ml) BPA-free polyethylene bottles with screw tops.  Each bottle came with a solid polypropylene lid which is tethered to the bottle with a short string.  There are also two screw-on flip top lids that interchange if needed.
      The clear copolyester salt and pepper shaker has the diameter divided into halves making two compartments.  There is a plastic cover that snaps over the opening which is solid on one half and has holes on the other half.  Hidden under the removable base is another snap on cover to be used for filling which has one solid half and one open half.  The lid is a screw top which is waterproof to keep your salt and pepper dry.  The shaker is 1.5 in x 1.5 in x 1.5 in (4 cm x 4 cm x 4 cm).
      Finally for clean-up there is a 3 in x 3 in (8 cm x 8 cm) scrubbing pad and a micro-fiber towel of 8 in x 12 in (20 cm x 30 cm).
      It all can be contained in the supplied nylon mesh bag with a drawstring cord and cord lock.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      There were no instructions included but the spatula, spoon and bottles have symbols indicating that they are safe for contact with food.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS & TRYING IT OUT

      My initial impression was that the kit was pretty much as anticipated based on the website information.  The spoon and spatula were slightly smaller than I had thought which was a relief.  All of the items seem well-constructed and there were no flaws found.
      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Salt Shaker">>I was happy to discover the salt and pepper filling lid hidden under the base before I tried filling the shaker.  To have that lid handy under the base and not loose is a great idea.  I filled the shaker to get it ready for my first outing and had no problems keeping the salt and pepper separate.  I was able to get nearly 1 teaspoon (5 ml) each of salt and pepper into the shaker.  I occasionally under-season a meal which is a fairly big issue on the trail since I seem to prefer more seasoning when hiking.  The extra shaker would eliminate this worry and I could lightly season when making meals knowing that it could be added later.
      I'm interested in seeing how the spoon serves to complement my spork on the trail.  Eating soup with my spork doesn't allow much liquid to get in my mouth at once.  In addition the extra length of this spoon looks helpful for stirring meals in my zip-top bags.  I'm looking forward to testing that out.  I already use a similar spatula for meals where I'm making eggs but this one has a finely feathered edge which looks great for scraping the bottom.
      The condiment bottles are the most intriguing item to me.  I love to have honey or jam for eating with nut butters on tortillas but they make a mess since their packets often break and the trash is messy.  I can think of several items that I'd like to try in these little bottles like maple syrup, honey and jam.  But since they are quite sticky I'm curious how well I'll be able to clean them out between trips.  I appreciate the optional flip-top lids for use with items that I'll prefer to squeeze out.
      I don't like to carry extra items on the trail with me so I'll likely try to fit as many of the items into my cook set as possible rather than use the mesh storage bag.  However the utensils are just slightly too long to fit in my pot so I may end up using the bag for carrying those.  I don't typically bother to carry clean up gear since pine needles or pebbles make great scrubbers and things dry so quickly that I don't need a towel.  It'll be interesting to see how much value I find in having these items with me.

      SUMMARY

      The GSI Outdoors Pack Kitchen 8 is a basic backpacking set for carrying spices and condiments, cooking and cleaning up on the trail for those who do more than the minimal amount of cooking.
      Initial Likes:
      Roomy spoon to complement my spork
      Secure condiment bottles for messy sauces
      Light weight
      Initial Questions:
      How useful will the mesh bag and cleaning gear be?
      Will it be hard to clean the condiment bottles?
      This concludes my Initial Report.  Check back in four months or so to see how it performs in the field.  Thanks to GSI Outdoors and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to participate in this test.

      Copyright 2013.  All rights reserved.