74564APPLICATION - Montbell Highland - Andy Henrichs

  • a_henrichs
    Nov 14, 2012
      Please accept my application to test the Montbell Highland Jacket. I have read all pertinent information in the Survival Guide, including, but not limited to Chapters Four, Five, and Six of the new BackpackGearTest Bylaws, version 0609. I will follow all requirements. My tester agreement is on file with BGT. If selected I would prefer a size Large in the Rust color.

      Biographical Information

      Name: Andrew Henrichs
      Age: 31
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
      Weight: 185 lb (83.9 kg)
      Email address: andyhenrichs(at)gmail(dot)com
      City, State, Country: Boulder, Colorado, USA

      Backpacking Background

      I have been backpacking for many years and I consider myself a lightweight backpacker. Most of my backpacking has been in the mountains of Colorado and the deserts of the southwestern US. In addition to backpacking, I also enjoy in rock climbing, backcountry skiing, mountain biking, and whitewater rafting.

      Test Plan

      If selected for this test, I will wear the Montbell Highland on all of my outings this fall/winter/spring. Temperatures in the mountains are dropping quickly as winter approaches, and an insulation layer is already absolutely necessary. I anticipate the hiking season in the mountains to last just a bit longer, and I hope to take advantage of this window with several more mountain hikes. I'll use the Highland jacket on all of these hikes to keep me nice and toasty (hopefully).

      I'm hoping to go backcountry skiing once a week as soon as there is enough snow, which will likely be early December. I plan on continuing this schedule until April (when I get the itch to get back on my mountain bike). I tend to head out regardless of the conditions, including very cold temperatures. The Highland looks like it would be a welcome addition to my winter pack. I always bring some sort of insulation layer along to maintain my body temperature during extended rest breaks and while relaxing at the apex of the ridge or peak I'm skiing. If it's cold, I keep the insulation layer on for the descent.

      I have an extended break in early January, and I already have two hut trips planned in the mountains of Central Colorado (one 2-day and one 3-day) during this time. I also intend to head out on two or three overnight ski-backpacking trip in the mountains of Colorado this winter. Other than my sleeping bag, the Highland would be my primary insulation layer around my camps.

      Additionally, I'm planning a 4-5 day backpacking trip to the canyon country of southeast Utah in early March. This escape will let me put the Highland jacket to the test in a slightly different (and drier) environment.

      Finally, I would wear this jacket around town on a regular basis. This use will give me a better sense of its durability.

      In addition to testing of the warmth provided by this jacket, I'll focus on fit, comfort, DWR functionality, and durability.

      My previous reviews can be found at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/a_henrichs

      Current Tests: none

      Test Status Page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1239.htm

      Pending Applications: none

      ORs in the last year: 0

      BGT Roles: none

      Thank you for considering my application.