74204Application - Dahlgren Expedition Socks - Richard Lyon

  • richardglyon@att.net
    Oct 10, 2012
      Brett, please consider my application for the Dahlgren Expedition Socks. I have read and agree to the BackpackGearTest.org Survival Guide and bylaws v.0609 and have a tester agreement on file. This Test will not conflict with my other Tests.

      Richard Lyon, Male, 66, Bozeman, Montana USA
      6'4" [1.91 m], 200 lb [91 kg], US size 13 shoe
      Montana DOT angler AT gmail DOT com

      I've been backpacking regularly in the Rockies since 1986. I do at least one weeklong trip every summer, and often take three-day trips. I'm usuallycamping in alpine terrain, at altitudes 5000 to 10000 ft (1500-3000 m). I prefer base camp backpacking, a long hike in with day trips from camp. Outdoor winter activities often include skiing or snowshoeing.

      Tests in progress: Four – Big Agnes Q Core pad [LTR due October 30 – will be completed before Dahlgren socks arrive]; Black Diamond Mercury 75 pack [LTR due December 11]; Acli-Mate Mountain Sports Drink [awaiting delivery]; Chaco Tedhino boots [recommended]
      Other pending applications: None
      Test page: http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1436.htm

      I have completed many tests and submitted over sixty Owner Reviews, several on socks. I've submitted five ORs in the past twelve months.
      My Reports are listed at
      http://www.BackpackGearTest.org/tester_reviews/richardglyon
      I serve as an OR Editor, Call Manager, Mentor, Monitor, and Moderator.

      This will be my first winter resident in the Rockies, and I'm looking forward to several short backpacking trips before the snow settles in for good, followed by considerably more snowshoeing than I've done in any winter when I needed to board a plane to get to the mountains. I note that the Men's version of the Socks won't be available until mid-November, and by that time there should be some snow on the ground. I'm going to try to stay local, with hikes in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness area or the nearby Gallatin Crest Wilderness Study Area. Actual locations may be dictated by the extent of damage done by two recent forest fires.

      I have a pair of Dahlgren hiking socks that I've worn occasionally for several years, and I really like how soft the alpaca blend is. As I have narrow ankles, however, the Dahlgrens I have are not particularly suited for backpacking. I regularly hike with heavy socks, sometimes with silk or similar lines, sometimes without. Glad to see Dahlgren is offering a beefier version! I plan to test the Expedition Socks with the Chaco Tedinho boots that I'll be testing and probably also with my Oboz Beartooth or Wind River boots, and perhaps with my telemark ski boots. I'm interested in how well these will hold up to heavy, regular use, and how well the heavier socks will wick away perspiration.