72944IR - Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Dry Sacks - Theresa Lawrence

  • Theresa Lawrence
    Jun 4 11:38 AM
      Thank you in advance for the edits, this is my IR for the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Dry Sacks.The HTML can be found here:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Ultra-Sil%20Nano%20Dry%20Sacks%20-%20Theresa%20Lawrence/

      SEA TO SUMMIT ULTRA-SIL NANO DRY SACKS
      Test Series By Theresa Lawrence
      IR
      June 04, 2012

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Theresa Lawrence
      EMAIL: theresa_newell AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 34
      LOCATION: Sparwood, British Columbia, Canada
      GENDER: F
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 130 lb (59.00 kg)

      I have more than 15 years of backpacking experience. Day hikes and 2-3 day backpacking trips take place on most weekends throughout the year while longer trips are only occasional. I backpack predominantly in mountain terrain (Coast Range, Cascades and Canadian Rockies) with the goal of summiting peaks. Activities I use my gear with include mountaineering, ski touring, rock climbing, kayaking, biking, trail running, Search and Rescue and overseas travel. I like my gear to be reasonably light, convenient and simple to use though I would not claim to be a lightweight hiker.

      INITIAL REPORT

      Product Information and Specifications

      Manufacturer: Sea to Summit
      Year of Manufacture: 2012
      Manufacturer's Website: seatosummit.com
      MSRP: Not given
      Color and Size Tested: Yellow 8 L and Orange 13 L
      Other Colors Available: Blue and Green (website indicates green, but image appears yellow)
      Other Sizes Available : 1, 2, 4, 20 and 35 L
      Listed Weight: 8 L Sack - 0.8 oz (24 g), 13 L Sack - 1.0 oz (28 g)
      Measured Weight: 8 L Sack - 0.95 oz (26.9 g), 13 L Sack - 1.10 oz (28.4 g)
      Dimensions (oval base x height): 8 L Sack - 7.9x5.9x18.5 in (20x15x47 cm),13 L Sack - 8.9x6.5x20.5 in (22.5x16.5x52 cm)

      Product Description

      The Ultra-Sil Nano Dry Sack is Sea to Summit's lightest dry bag. Its suggested use is in a backpack, super lightweight hiking, climbing and cycle touring. Ultra-Sil Nano refers to the 15 denier siliconised nylon fabric used to create this ultra-lightweight sack. It claims to have a 1200 mm waterhead, I believe this has something to do with its waterproof strength. It uses a Hypalon roll top closure, which apparently "does not wick moisture", I'm assuming that's a good thing. The sack stitching is reinforced and seam-sealed for maximum waterproofness.

      Reading the Instructions

      There were instructions sewn into the inside of each sack, which were to be removed after reading. They show a diagram of how to close the dry sack. The key was to fold down the roll top closure at least 3 times before clipping the buckle. Further instructions advised to avoid contact with sharp objects and abrasive surfaces. This made me think putting any hard climbing gear (cams, draws, nuts, etc.) in these bags is probably not a good idea. No worries, since I've got lots of other gear that needs packing. The manufacture also states sensitive electronic equipment should only be packed with the use of 2 dry bags. It was also clear that these bags should NOT ever be submerged. As for washing the bags, they should only be hand washed in warm water. The key information was repeated on the packaging it came wrapped in, along with a reference to an instructional video on the website which was supposed to give further details on correct use and care. However,
      disappointingly, I could find no such video on the website. Nor was there any information on warranty and life expectancy of the product.

      Initial Impressions

      The Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Dry Sacks (8 and 13L) arrived in a super light package in the colors yellow and orange. It seems the 'green' listed on the website is actually 'yellow' in color, which is consistent with the website image. They were slightly heavier than the listed weight, but otherwise were exactly what I expected when previewing the website. They looked slick, were ultra-lightweight with minimal material, silky smooth and easy to open and close. The seams are well crafted double-sewn and seam-sealed. I will be looking to see how they hold together and whether or not any delamination occurs over time while using the items for backpacking, kayaking and climbing. I have blown up the bags and closed the bag as per instructions and they appear to be airtight, that is a good sign. I am very curious how waterproof the material is, which will determine what I put in them. At the moment I'm a little cautious about putting a down sleeping bag in
      it as I know I'm not supposed to submerge the bags in water, but how about hiking for hours in the rain? I shall be the one to let you know (unless this year is full of sunshine in the Canadian Rockies, not that I would complain). I've also got a sea kayaking trip, some white water kayaking and an adventure race with a kayaking segment planned for these bags as well. Stay tuned!

      Summary

      The Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Nano Dry Sacks so far seem like an ideal solution to lightweight packing. Their oval shape as opposed to round seem like they will be much more conducive to packing inside a backpack or kayak than their round counterparts, possibly saving space. They look great and are easy to use. With some of the limitations in mind such as double bagging electronics and avoiding abrasive surfaces, I will be aiming to test their waterproofness so that I can confidently use them for anything I want to ensure is safe and dry.

      PROS: Lightweight, easy to use, waterproof
      CONS: None yet

      I give my sincere thank you to Sea to Summit and BackpackGearTest.org for allowing me to test this dry bag series. Check back in a couple of months for my field reviews.

      Copyright 2012. All rights reserved.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic