72567Application: Zephyros Tent - Ed Morse

  • Edwin Morse
    May 1, 2012
      Andrea, please accept my application to test the Backcountry Solutions Geek
      Pocket. I would be very happy to test this accessory pocket.

      I have read and agree to comply with the newly revised Backpackgeartest
      bylaws, v. 0609. I will pay careful attention to Chapters 4, 5 and 6 and the
      new test format. I have been trying to keep up with new procedures from
      daily e-mails. I have been notified that my tester agreement is on file.

      Name: Edwin Morse

      Age: 74

      Gender: male

      Height: 5' 8" (173 cm)

      Weight: 150 lb (65 kg)

      Email address: ed dot morse at charter dot net

      City, State, Country: Grawn, Michigan, U.S.

      Date: April 30, 2012

      Backpacking background:

      I started backpacking in 1979 with two weeks in northern Michigan along the
      shore of Lake Superior. My gear was cheap, heavy and painful. Starting pack
      weight was just over 70 lb (32 Kg), with food but no water. Since the first
      trip I have backpacked in Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire Pennsylvania,
      Florida, Wisconsin and Minnesota. After several years I started slowly
      reducing my pack weight. I keep trying new things to see what really works.
      My pack now weighs from 28 to 35 pounds (13 to 16 kg) with food and water
      starting as much as a week-long hike.

      Test Plan:

      I will be backpacking at least one overnight and one weeklong hike each
      month from April through October. All my backpacking this year will be in
      northern lower Michigan, possibly also a week or two on Isle Royale. I have
      one hike of about three days planned with two friends in mid-May. This is a
      planned loop trail connecting three existing trails. Nearly half the
      distance will be bushwhacking.

      The next longer hike will be the 100 miles of the North Country Trail
      maintained by the Grand Traverse Hiking Club. This will be about a nine day
      walk.

      Before each longer hike I will be doing at least one overnight hike to
      evaluate, and revise if necessary, the gear I plan to use.

      The other multiday hike in planning is about a 70 mile (113 km) loop trail
      in northeast Lower Michigan.

      I Think this looks like a very interesting tent design. The fact that
      flysheet and inner can be put up together would seem to be ideal for rainy
      conditions. There are a few questions I would want answered. Is there enough
      ventilation to avoid condensation? Can I get in and out of the tent during a
      rain without the inside getting wet? My biggest question is about
      durability. Will I need to seal the seams before use?

      I have no other applications in at this time. I have recently completed two
      Owner Reports.

      I am presently testing the Eco Vessel filtration bottle. I am waiting for
      delivery of the Cocoon Expedition liner and the Icebreaker Crewe.

      Tests and reviews I have written may be found at the following location:

      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/slosteppin>
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/slosteppin

      My test status page may be found at:
      <http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1620.htm>

      Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Terra Nova for
      providing the Zephyros Tent for evaluation and testing.