67303IR: GoLite Wind River Softshell Jacket - Pat McNeilly

  • Pat
    Jan 1, 2011
      Happy New Year to everyone at BGT!

      I realize this report is early and BGT is on break but I wanted to keep
      up on things. So, below is the text for my IR on the GoLite Wind River
      Softshell. The html is in the Tests folder at:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Golite%20Win\
      d%20River%20Softshell%20-%20McNeilly/
      <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/TESTS/IR%20-%20Golite%20Wi\
      nd%20River%20Softshell%20-%20McNeilly/>

      I look forward to any edits.

      Thanks

      Pat

      GOLITE WIND RIVER SOFTSHELL JACKET
      TEST SERIES BY PATRICK MCNEILLY <<IMAGE 1>>
      IR
      January 01, 2011

      TESTER INFORMATION

      NAME: Patrick McNeilly
      EMAIL: mcne4752 AT yahoo DOT com
      AGE: 48
      LOCATION: Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA
      GENDER: M
      HEIGHT: 5' 8" (1.73 m)
      WEIGHT: 155 lb (70.30 kg)
      TORSO SIZE 18.5 in (47 cm)
      WAIST SIZE 34 in (86 cm)

      I have been hiking for over 20 years but backpacking only since about
      2002. Most of my backpacking is done as overnight trips and occasional
      weekend and weeklong trips. My typical packweight is approximately 18
      to 20 lb (8 to 9 kg) before food or water. Most of my backpacking is
      the three season variety in the mountains of Maryland, Virginia,
      Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. In addition to backpacking, I also
      fish, hunt, and enjoy orienteering. As a result, some of my backpacking
      equipment gets used in a number of different venues.

      INITIAL REPORT

      PRODUCT INFORMATION & SPECIFICATIONS

      Manufacturer: GoLite
      Year of Manufacture: 2010
      Manufacturer's Website: <<HYPERLINK GOES HERE - "http://www.golite.com"
      LINK TEXT = "http://www.golite.com">>
      MSRP: US$175.00
      Listed Weight: 1 lb 6 oz (620 g)
      Measured Weight: 1 lb 6 oz (620 g)
      Size Tested: Medium
      Color Tested: Ocean Blue/Granite
      Other available colors: Black/Black, Granite/Granite

      The GoLite Wind River Softshell is a relaxed fit, breathable jacket
      which is designed to provide a superior range of motion. The jacket is
      composed of a recycled polyester and nylon fabric which includes the
      addition of spandex and a durable water repellent finish. GoLite
      indicates that the jacket has reinforcements in high abrasion areas,
      articulated wrist cuffs, harness compatible pocket placement, and a
      bonded sleeve pocket.

      INITIAL IMPRESSIONS

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Jacket Front">><<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT
      TEXT = "Jacket Back">>

      My first impression fo the GoLite Wind River Softshell (aka the jacket)
      is that it is a quality item. The workmanship appears to be very good.
      I do not see problems with the stitching or other materials. The jacket
      shell is composed of two different fabrics. On fabric is softer and
      stretchier while the other is somewhat stiffer but still quite stretchy.
      The stiffer fabric appears to have a heavier weave to it and covers the
      tops of the sleeves and the shoulder area. <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT =
      "Fabric Close-up" IMAGE CAPTION = "Detail of fabrics on the shoulder">>

      The jacket has a total of four pockets. There are two front handwarmer
      pockets which measure approximately 6 in x 10 in (15 cm x 25 cm) hand
      have 6 in (15 cm) zippers which appear to be water resistant. The
      front pocket openings are located 7 in (18 cm) from the bottom of the
      jacket and GoLite indicates that they are positioned to be compatable
      with a harness. There is also a 4.5 in x 6 in (11 cm x 15 cm) pocket
      in the left sleeve which has a 4.5 in (11 cm) water resistant zipper.
      This pocket is large enough to hold a cell phone or music player.
      Lastly there is 4.5 in x 8 in (11 cm x 20 cm) pocket inside the jacket
      located at waist level on the left side.

      The jacket has a two-way main zipper on the front which is backed by a 1
      in (2.5 cm) storm flap made of the same material as the main body of the
      jacket. the very top of the zipper is covered by a flap of material to
      prevent the zipper from touching bare skin.

      Other features of the jacket include articulated wrists which also have
      hook-and-loop adjustable closures. The sleeves also have thin
      wristlets on the inside. At the bottom hem, there are single-hand
      adjustable draw strings on either side of the jacket. The jacket is
      lined with a microfiber fleece material. The collar measure
      approximately 3 in (8 cm) high all around and is lined with a very soft
      microfiber material which is different than the rest of the jacket's
      lining.

      READING THE INSTRUCTIONS

      The cleaning instructions indicate that the jacket can be machine washed
      with like colors and should be line dried or tumble dried on low. The
      jacket can be ironed with a cool iron if necessary. GoLite recommends
      not to use bleach or fabric softeners when laundering. There is also a
      recommendation not to dry clean the jacket.

      TRYING IT OUT

      When I tried the Wind River Softshell on for the first time, I felt that
      the sleeves were a bit tight, especially in the forearm. There may have
      been two reasons for this. First, I tried the jacket on over a medium
      weight fleece which was a little tough to get on with microfiber liner
      of the softshell. Secondly, the inner wristlets may have been bunched
      up a bit as I put it on. I tried the jacket with lighter weight and
      smoother fabrics and did not have the same feeling. I would say that
      the jacket is best with light to medium weight garments underneath.

      The amount of stretch that the jacket has is quite remarkable. I feel
      that I have great freedom of movement with the jacket on and don't have
      any problems with reaching up. The jacket seems to just move with me.

      The location of the pockets is quite good. The front pockets are at
      just the right height for me. I cane easily slip my hands into the
      pockets. These pockets also seem quite deep and appear to provide lots
      of space for various items. The sleeve pocket is easy to access and of
      a reasonable size. The interior pocket seem to be in an odd place.
      Since it is at waist level, I need to unzip the jacket quite a bit to
      access the pocket. I will keep an eye to see how useful this pocket
      ends up being.

      <<IMAGE GOES HERE. ALT TEXT = "Zipper bottom">>All the zippers work
      smoothly but one problem I did find was with the two-way main zipper.
      When the bottom part of the is mover up the teeth tend to separate and
      it is a little difficult to get the bottom of the zipper to zip closed.
      This is something I will monitor and mention in future reports.

      SUMMARY

      The GoLite Wind River Softshell Jacket appears to be a well constructed
      product. The jacket has a fairly snug fit and may be best with lighter
      weight layers underneath. The jacket stretches and provides a good
      freedom of movement. The pockets appear to be placed in good locations
      but the interior pocket may be a little hard to access. One initial
      problem noted was the two-way zipper which was a little hard to close at
      the bottom.

      Copyright 2011. All rights reserved.