64940Application to Test - Columbia Mobex pack - askLarry

  • asklarry99
    Jun 1, 2010
      I wasn't going to do this, but I JUST COULDN"T HELP MYSELF!!!

      Please consider my application to test the Columbia Mobex pack. I have read Chapter Five of the BackpackGearTest Survival Guide version 0609, and I will follow all requirements.

      Biographical Information

      Name: Larry Kirschner
      Age: 46
      Gender: M
      Height: 5' 9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 205 lb (91 kg) and not coming down at the moment
      Email address: asklarry98 at hotmail dotcom
      City, State, Country: Columbus, Ohio USA

      Backpacking Background

      I've been an intermittent camper/paddler since my teens, but now that my kids are avid Boy Scouts, I've caught the backpacking bug. I typically do 8-10 weekend hikes per year, plus one longer trip of 9-10 days. I have spent time over the past few years backpacking in Cimarron, New Mexico canoeing the Canadian wilderness, and camping out in the Florida Keys. I like to travel "in comfort", but I'm working towards going lighter and longer. With all of my investment into these ventures, I expect my wife and I will continue to trek long after the kids are gone.

      Test plan

      At present, I am training for a 100-mile bike ride at the end of August as part of a cancer fund-raising effort. I need a backpack to carry small amounts of food and gear (like a raincoat) when I'm on the road. Hence, I'm applicating for the Mobex. I may sneak in some dayhikes during the course of this test, but I'm really looking at the pack for biking. Since the pack is designed for cross-over sports, I figured it's worth a shot.

      As noted, I'll be using the pack to tote water, snacks and a small amount of gear with me, and the thing I'm most looking for is comfort. This includes how comfortably the pack sits on my back (since I don't have a rack or saddle bags on my touring bike) and how well it ventilates. Of course, durability is always a plus.

      That's about it—short and sweet.

      Previously Written Reports can be found at

      Fozzils Duet eating set (in FR phase)
      FiveTen Exum Guide Boots (awaiting arrival)
      Tilley Organic Airflo Hat T4MO (IR awaiting upload)
      Highgear Axio Max watch (awaiting arrival)

      O'keeffe's Company Life Out There Skin Care
      Tilley Endurables Outback Hat TWC5

      Outdoor Research SoDo shirt

      Currently mentoring: Angel Angelov (on hold)

      Thank you for considering this application and thanks to Columbia for proving this multisport pack for evaluation.

      -larry kirschner