64630APPLICATION - OR Helios Sun Hat - Derek Hansen

  • Derek Hansen
    May 7, 2010
      Ralph,

      Please accept my application for this hat.

      1. DISCLOSURE

      I have read the test requirements stated in BGT tester bylaws, v.
      0609, and I promise to comply with them to the best of my abilities.
      My test agreement has been submitted and is on file.

      2. MY BRIEF BIO

      Name - Derek Hansen
      Age - 34
      Gender - Male
      Height - 5' 10" (1.78 m)
      Weight - 165 lb (75 kg)
      Zmail Address - derek?dot"hansen\at[mac|daught}com
      Location - Flagstaff, Arizona, USA

      I am a lightweight backpacker with a typical overnight pack weight of
      15 lb (7 kg) and a multi-day weight of 20 lb (9 kg). My current
      backpacking style is to carry a simple hammock and go light and fast.

      3. BRIEF TEST PLAN

      This past week I spent a morning doing a video shoot, only to come
      home with a beautiful sunburn on my head. I normally don't burn so
      quickly, but living at 7000 ft (2133 m) elevation, I'm learning the
      hard way to keep covered at all times. My wife added her encouragement
      that I apply for this head protection.

      The Outdoor Research Helios Sun Hat boasts a remarkable UPF 50+, which
      is supposed to protect me from intense sunlight exposure. I think I
      can give the Helios a good run in the higher altitudes and base
      elevation in northern Arizona.

      The nylon ripstop fabric with moisture management will also help
      contain sweat, and I'm particularly interested in the hat's ability to
      float. I'm planning a few canyoneering treks this summer and having a
      hat that can float might come in handy.

      4. PREVIOUS REPORTS

      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/tester_reviews/dejoha

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/T1800.htm

      20 reports @ -1

      6. CURRENT TESTS

      * GSI Outdoors Halulite Minimalist Cookware - FR due July (est)
      * TEVA Itunda Sandal - FR due June 22
      * High Sierra Col 35 Backpack - FR due June 15
      * Bridgedale Bamboo Crew Socks - FR due July (est)

      7. APPLICATIONS PENDING

      I do not have any other applications pending.

      8. EXTRA DUTIES, LABORS OF LOVE

      > http://teststatus.backpackgeartest.org/M1800.htm

      I am a test monitor/editor. I am also working on the BGT web
      development team to design and deploy the new BackpackGearTest
      website. This is an on-again, off-again project.

      Best,

      ~derek